SkyscraperCity Forum banner
181 - 200 of 348 Posts

·
Milano & Peking
107 Posts
Dude, your NY envy is getting the best of you today. Larry obviously is not running this project. Anyone who builds an 1,100' tower isn't penny pinching.

Reactions: 1084790

·
everywhere like such as
1,121 Posts
I'm still a bit traumatized by the concrete panels on 30 Park Place. Hoping Silverstein doesn't penny pinch too much on this one. But if it ends up looking like that massing model I'll be happy enough. It's good filler.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
OMG. I never even suspected :shocked: Going from British prime ministers to Italian composers definitely fooled me.
I'm very glad he keeps returning. He is one of our best contributers and an awesome forumer, he should never have been banned in the first place. Whatever your current name is, you have friends here and people that appreciate you :cheers:

As to the building, the design is superb and I like the idea of an affordable (even if not cheap) supertall. The height is a bit disappointing though. Now if this would gain another 300 feet it would be perfect :cheers:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
l understood 30 park to be limestone. Are you being sarcastic about the panels being concrete?
You have to go back to when they first started placing the panels, and you'll see a number of posts that show it's unequivocally pre-cast concrete. A lot of us were bummed, although it doesn't look as bad as you might suspect.

It's fair to call 30 Park's concrete-for-limestone substitution penny pinching -- it's an ultra-luxury building, and had been advertised as being limstone-clad all along -- but 520 W. 41st is a different beast altogether. It's explicitly not targeted at the luxury market, so for us to expect something spectacular is a little deluded. The design will be fine, even if it winds up being plain; the size is good for the area; and it sets a good precedent in terms of supertalls that don't only cater to the super-rich. I think that's plenty to be happy about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No, you have to go back to when they first started placing the panels, and you'll see a number of posts that show it's unequivocally pre-cast concrete. A lot of us were bummed, although it doesn't look as bad as you might suspect.

It's fair to call 30 Park's concrete-for-limestone substitution penny pinching -- it's an ultra-luxury building, and had been advertised as being limstone-clad all along -- but 520 W. 41st is a different beast altogether. It's explicitly not targeted at the luxury market, so for us to expect something spectacular is a little deluded. The design will be fine, even if it winds up being plain; the size is good for the area; and it sets a good precedent in terms of supertalls that don't only cater to the super-rich. I think that's plenty to be happy about.
Thanks for the info guys

181 - 200 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.