SkyscraperCity Forum banner
201 - 220 of 348 Posts

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
I think there's nothing wrong about a concrete facade. 432 Park and even 30 Park do have both great facades. If the concrete looks like limestone, it is alright in my book :cheers:

·
Urban Hermit
Skyscraper fan from the trailer park
5,661 Posts
It doesn't bother me, either, but I didn't spend millions on an apartment and got a cheaper cladding than I was promised. ;)

Being that the tower this thread is about is not for the super-rich, tenants are less likely to be offended if the cladding is made from the finest materials money can buy, but I nonetheless doubt it will look cheap as the person who started this 30 Park Place side-discussion has proposed. It's a supertall in a prime location in a prime city. Unless they hire Vinoly in a drunken stupor, they're going to deliver something pleasant to look at.

·
Illuminati Leader
6,053 Posts
I think there's nothing wrong about a concrete facade. 432 Park and even 30 Park do have both great facades. If the concrete looks like limestone, it is alright in my book :cheers:
But it doesn't look like limestone. If the shift from limestone to concrete wasn't noticeable, then why did half of SSC pick up on the change the second they started placing the concrete panels? The two are not the same and there's definitely something dishonest about Silverstein advertising a limestone facade for a luxury building only to greet his tenants with 'look-alike second-class materials'.

Whatever Silverstein puts here, I'm not optimistic it will be as good in the end as the billing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
But it doesn't look like limestone. If the shift from limestone to concrete wasn't noticeable, then why did half of SSC pick up on the change the second they started placing the concrete panels? The two are not the same and there's definitely something dishonest about Silverstein advertising a limestone facade for a luxury building only to greet his tenants with 'look-alike second-class materials'.

Whatever Silverstein puts here, I'm not optimistic it will be as good in the end as the billing.
lf there's one thing that Silverstein does well imo is quality glass which l suspect this will end up having.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm sorry if this question seems ignorant, but are they really just going to leave the design as a box?

I understand that 432 Park Avenue is a box, but it has so much more detail to it. It was thin, had a unique facade, and was a series of boxes separated by mechanical floors.

This is just glass. But it looks okay, and the glass looks nice. Is it really going to be just like this?

·
Urban Hermit
Skyscraper fan from the trailer park
5,661 Posts
Every time in the last decade or so developers went for an "iconic" design it ended up some modern art crap for people who discuss Cubism over expensive coffee while reciting Yoko Ono's poetry and listening to Velvet Underground.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm excited that a residential supertall that's not catered to billionaires is finally being built. :cheers: if droneriot had his way NYC would be full of commie blocks :crazy:

201 - 220 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.