SkyscraperCity Forum banner
321 - 340 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
^^
If that's the case this won't be built for years. 2 WTC isn't even u/c yet.
2WTC is office space. This is residential. Different markets.

It's quite likely that the current design is dead. It was not much more than a placeholder to begin with. But the block has been cleared and sits in a prime location in a city with an insatiable demand for housing. This will not take long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dont know if this tower is cancelled. Its definitely a stale proposal. Once 30 Park and 3 WTC are wrapped I believe this will be the next project Silverstein moves on to. I dont think it is tied to 2 WTC at all. In fact its possible this will be U/C at the same time kinda like 30 Park and 3 WTC.

·
Urban Hermit
Skyscraper fan from the trailer park
5,661 Posts
Speaking of 2WTC, the other day I thought about starting a skyscraper nerd petition that the Foster 2WTC design which Silverstein has the rights to anyway should be used for this tower so it's at least built. :p Would look nice in the area, too. (And would actually be the tallest.)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Silverstein scraps 1,100-foot Midtown tower for two shorter buildings
The project will now likely be built in two phases

http://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/19/14330010/silverstein-midtown-condo-twin-tower-far-west-side-new-plans

Silverstein Properties can’t quite seem to make its mind with the massive property it owns around West 40th Street and Eleventh Avenue on the Far West Side. In the latest turn of events, it’s now speculated that the development firm has ditched plans to build a 1,100-foot tower there for two comparatively smaller towers, Crain’s has learned.

It now seems that Silverstein is interested in building the project in two phases. The first phase could see the construction of a CetraRuddy-designed residential tower that would span 600,000 square feet. Money generated from that development would then likely fund a second, larger tower with 1.2 million square feet of commercial space.

Since plans haven’t been filed yet there still could be a change in the coming months, but it seems that Silvertsein is leaning in this direction at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
21,906 Posts
Larry Silverstein wouldn't live to see both this and 2 WTC built (and successful) if his company proceeds this way. That's a whopping 3.8 MSF to fill, 1 MSF being on the fringe of an area that already offers millions of square feet on the market. They would have to offer a convincing deal to attract tenants, with this site being much further from Penn and the 7 Line.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,631 Posts

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,631 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
21,906 Posts
still nothing ? When are they schedules to start the pilling phasing ?
The developer is mulling over designs. The latest says they were considering a two-towered concept with a large office tower and a residential tower. I think that's unlikely because they've yet to fill 3 WTC or land a single tenant for 2 WTC.
I suggest updating this project as on hold until there's news.

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
21,906 Posts
New plans. Supertall no more. Silverstein filed today for a mixed use, 57 floor, 723' tower.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/J...id=2&passjobnumber=121203973&passdocnumber=01

Larry Silverstein downsizes condo plans on Far West Side

Silverstein Properties appears to have scrapped plans for a 1,000-foot condominium-and-retail tower on the Far West Side.

The firm, led by Larry Silverstein, has filed a permit application for a 723-foot building at 520 West 41st Street, part of a block-wide development site between 10th and 11th avenues. The building will house 499 units across 547,718 square feet of residential space, with another 63,000 square feet of commercial space, the filing said.
[...]
Initial plans called for a 1.8 million-square-foot tower with the address 514 11th Avenue. The tower was to house 1,400 luxury apartments with 300,000 square feet of retail space. In 2015, Silverstein struck a deal with the city to reserve 30 percent of units as affordable. But at one point later that year, the developer put the entire site on the market.
[...]

previously:

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
499 units is utterly pathetic for this location. I can mentally justify it with the stick condo towers in Midtown East as much as I disagree with that route, but this is a massive plot on prime, core land.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't understand that notion that somehow the new proposal is a wasted opportunity and Larry is to blame for it.
This is something that any realistic developer should do based on where the high end resi market currently stands.
Besides the article clearly states that the second tower, which will most likely be an office tower, would most likely be larger (1 Million sq/f). So it probably will be a decent size. I'll take a 700 fter and something close to a supertall, maybe even a supertall for that site.

That said I'm not expecting designs worth talking about so my expectations are very low in that regard.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/19/14330010/silverstein-midtown-condo-twin-tower-far-west-side-new-plans
It now seems that Silverstein is interested in building the project in two phases. The first phase could see the construction of a CetraRuddy-designed residential tower that would span 600,000 square feet. Money generated from that development would then likely fund a second, larger tower with 1.2 million square feet of commercial space.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't understand that notion that somehow the new proposal is a wasted opportunity and Larry is to blame for it.
This is something that any realistic developer should do based on where the high end resi market currently stands.
Besides the article clearly states that the second tower, which will most likely be an office tower, would most likely be larger (1 Million sq/f). So it probably will be a decent size. I'll take a 700 fter and something close to a supertall, maybe even a supertall for that site.

That said I'm not expecting designs worth talking about so my expectations are very low in that regard.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/19/14330010/silverstein-midtown-condo-twin-tower-far-west-side-new-plans
Another sign the market for high end apartments is slowing down.. Silverstein couldn't make it work with the big resi tower, so he has to go office for most of the space. At least the office market is there to compensate. That doesn't bode well for some supertalls proposed right now that are luxury residential. I agree on the designs. Larry is not known for innovative architectural development.

321 - 340 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.