SkyscraperCity Forum banner
81 - 100 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
1100 ft is probably the maximum allowance like 215 west 57th being denoted as 1550 ft. Right now it depends on what Silverstein wants to build.
This is what I was thinking. It makes sense to file a permit for the maximum as-of-right project, regardless of what you're actually going to build.

Can someone remind me whether we expect these to be rentals or condos? It seems like a weird area to try cashing in on the luxury condo boom (which is what I think a 1100 footer would suggest).

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I agree about the area for a lux condo, but I think it's a real possibility he may go condo here. I remember reading an article a while ago, Silverstein championing for more affordable housing in this area and specifically for this project.

This area is changing and he may be banking this are will improve drastically because of the Hudson Yards and all the peripheral developments rising amd slated to rise around there.

Plus I read somewhere Bill DB is willing to build more platforms over the rail yards all around in the city to create more housing. It is my hope one day that they could eventually build platform over the Lincoln tunnel and Dywer avenue roadways especially between 9th and 10th avenues from 30th street all the way up above 42nd street to create more housing. This area imo, could be the next great big development of land after the Hudson Yards in Manhattan.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
It is my hope one day that they could eventually build platform over the Lincoln tunnel and Dywer avenue roadways especially between 9th and 10th avenues from 30th street all the way up above 42nd street to create more housing.
I love that idea, I just wonder if the trench is deep enough to build over the top of. In any case, I expect someone to try. Along with the cantilever and elevated walkway trends, these platforms are the likeliest strategy for creating more buildable square footage in Manhattan.

Well, and more landfill, I guess. But I think the hurricane issue is going to deter anyone from seriously considering that.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Slightly off topic, but why is this called 'affordable housing' when it's mostly only affordable to the top 1%?
Sorry I'm on a bumpyyy bus ride. Lol. I'll give it a try.

They have income requirements for families. Just as an example, lets say a family makes less than $42k per year can qualify for affordable units set aside by developer.

In this case for new development b4 Bill D B the ratio a developer must make was 80% market and 20% affordable of the total project. By meeting that requirement the developer can avail such incentives such as tax breaks, credits etc as result of creating affordable housing.

This way people living in the city will not only be for population with high income bracket and it's a way to have diversity amongst the population. Lol.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

Hudson River ferry service launching
http://www.amny.com/transit/hudson-river-ferry-service-launching-1.8012387

A new ferry service for Manhattanites will set sail on Monday, bringing riders along the Hudson River.

New York Water Taxi is launching a north-south service on mornings and evenings next week to run between Pier 84 in Hudson River Park at West 44th Street and Brookfield Place at Brookfield Place's World Financial Center.

The ferry will connect residents coming to Manhattan's Hudson Yards development on the far west side to theFinancial District. The ride -- which only run on weekdays -- will cost $4.50 one way and $8 round-trip, lasting about 15 minutes, a rep for New York Water Taxi said.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
As per Sir Nikoli F Yimby! ;)

Vision: 514 Eleventh Avenue
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/05/vision-514-eleventh-avenue.html

Silverstein’s development at 514 Eleventh Avenue has recently re-appeared in headlines as the tower may end up standing 1,100′ tall, becoming one of the tallest residential buildings in Manhattan. While the ‘supertall’ plans have not been revealed, renderings of the project on Oppenheim Architecture + Design‘s Architizer page depict another vision for the site, which would be truly iconic....Read more in link

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's stunning as a vision, nothing really like it in this part of the world. Hopefully whatever Silverstein constructs there will at least have an interesting look, certainly the Manhattan West Side is a great place to build towers that stand out.

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
21,622 Posts
Silverstein already succeeded with the nearby Silver Towers, developing residential towers while the market is hot is something they can't miss out on while the expensive WTC is taking too long to complete.

81 - 100 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.