SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3070 Posts

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=29664

Overall excavation and foundation work for the 76-story skyscraper will continue through summer 2007. The tower is scheduled for completion in 2009.

As work on the new Beekman Tower (8 Spruce Street) ramps up, developer Forest City Ratner is driving its first piles around the site's perimeter for four days beginning the week of October 30th (excluding the weekend). Called "soldier piles," the piles provide a barrier around the site's sub- grade perimeter that allows crews to excavate the soil within.

FINAL DESIGN:

·
Banned
159 Posts
This is one ugly building. This is a step backwards. This perfectly illustrates what I mean when I say "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should." This is the sort of building that would make one appreciate the new WTC towers.

·
-
3,628 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this tower. Somehow i like it, and i have no doubt that this will be great addition to the NY skyline. But on the other hand, i prefer the old design (even if that one looks like a melted plastic model afer being heated).
The old design had in some way character, an excentric class while the newer design looks like a pseudo attempt to be excentric and orginal. I will see what the future will hold.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i dont like it. i think it is necessary for a skyscraper to have some sort of structual appeal in the design, leave this shit for midrises.

·
5,837 Posts
There isn't a final design as far as I know. The first two suck donkey balls. I'm down with the heights and all I just hope we don't get stuck with an eyesore but I got a good feeling we will. Eitherway someone said before it will do the new wtc towers justice. I kinda feel the same way.

·
5,837 Posts
Ahh yes melting green. I see this one growing on me a bit more than the other but I seriousy hope we get something better than both. I am not counting on Ghery to give us a masterpiece skyscraper but geez don't give us a complete letdown that rises past 800 ft and blocks the woolworth from brooklyn. If yer gonna block the woolworth you better be on your game.

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Renderings of what the tower will look like are still not going out to the public. According to the spokesperson, that’s because the building design continues to change and the meticulous Gehry doesn’t want to publish plans until all the interior and exterior designs are finalized.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Renderings of what the tower will look like are still not going out to the public. According to the spokesperson, that’s because the building design continues to change and the meticulous Gehry doesn’t want to publish plans until all the interior and exterior designs are finalized.
Gehry is also designing a 54 and a 30 story tower for LA and we don't know what the offical design is either. Damn Gehry.

1 - 20 of 3070 Posts