2741 - 2760 of 11072 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Smith and Gill, and Extell get an F.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
It's interesting... looks futuristic like something from off Mass Effect!

But I feel as though that if there wasn't a tower supposed to be design and built in front of this, we wouldn't have the cantilever and it would look boring! It's a shame about the cladding so far compared to the other towers, but we'll need high quality images

But so far, I seem to be the only one who likes ths

·
the World Trade Center
23,632 Posts

·
Worldwide
5,893 Posts
Oh shit! Am I the only one who loves it? The game of shapes here is awesome and looking from an engineering point of view, this thing is more than interesting. I'm sure facade will do the magic here. Can't wait to see more of it.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
^^ Pretty much ;) I still don't know what to think about it. It's interesting feature that such a big tower "hangs" above other towers but other than that it seems rather messy at the base and cladding looks boring and simple. But at least that last item might be due to the very poor quality renders. I also like nordstrom part of the tower but then again it's just a small part of a tower.

As of now I'm rather disappointed. My opinion may improve with better renders but something tells me this tower will be league lover than unique icons like 107 or 432 Park Ave.

Also as I thought it seems it's still too early for 500m tower in this city as 434m is quite far from that number.

·
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊
1,838 Posts
Yep, quite the disappointment.

Height

1300ft? 1400ft? Meh, that ain't special anymore, not even in New York City. Barnett had a unique chance to make a bold statement. So 57th Street will be a wall of 1300 footers, great. The skyline needs a real peak and only a 1600 / 1700 footer (to the roof) can achieve that. I realize developers built only on demand and maximum profit, but this city needs to move forward, heightwise.

Design

So far, pretty lame. AS+GG surely can do better. What were they thinking? Are they in love with 432 PA and decided to mess around a bit? Pathetic. Now I'd rather have a green tower which is curvy and more interesting.

And btw thanks Nikolai for attending the meeting. Your info is very much appreciated.

·
Que paza!!!
2,930 Posts
I think the design is not amazing, but for me its simplicity makes it look stronger, those design piruettes we see in other cities sometimes make towers seem weaker, like they are in need of atention. This tower, as 432 park ave, seems to say "here I am and I don't need your atention because I already know I'm valuable wihout needing to make an extra artificial effort"
Do you think we're going to have a race between this one and 107 like in 1929/31 with the ESB and the Chrysler building? that would be so cool!
PD: a 400m tall tower in the middle of the street grid and the density of the city it's way more exciting to me than a 600m standing alone or in a perfectly planned new district.
PPD: the bad side (as hunser says below) is that we're having a couple of towers with almost the same height, it will look a bit plain without one or two towers standing out alittle bit, anyway, NY is getting a really sci-fi realistic skyline!

·
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊
1,838 Posts
Man, AS+GG got owned by SHop, big time!

The boom in New York City is stronger than ever.
The city has become a forest of 1300 footers / 400m supertalls:

1. 217 West 57th Street: 1423ft/434m
2. 432 Park Avenue: 1398ft/426m
3. 1WTC: 1373ft/419m
4. 111 West 57th Street: 1350ft/411m
5. 2WTC: 1349ft/411m
6. Hudson Yards North Tower: 1337ft/408m

(--- ESB: 1472ft/449m, antenna)

It sure is quite impressive. Now all this city needs is a REAL signature tower, at least 1600ft/500m tall to the roof. And of course an iconic design.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I think the design is not amazing, but for me its simplicity makes it look stronger, those design piruettes we see in other cities sometimes make towers seem weaker, like they are in need of atention. This tower, as 432 park ave, seems to say "here I am and I don't need your atention because I already know I'm valuable wihout needing to make an extra artificial effort"
Do you think we're going to have a race between this one and 107 like in 1929/31 with the ESB and the Chrysler building? that would be so cool!
PD: a 400m tall tower in the middle of the street grid and the density of the city it's way more exciting to me than a 600m standing alone or in a perfectly planned new district.
432 park ave is not looking for attention? No offense, but you must be joking, it's one of the most unique towers I've seen.

2741 - 2760 of 11072 Posts