SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4061 - 4080 of 11066 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Breaking news! Read all about it!

Ruling Clears Way for Tower Over City Landmark Building -Read more:
http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202651268135/Ruling-Clears-Way-for-Tower-Over-City-Landmark-Building#ixzz2z0GvzHtn

A Manhattan Supreme Court justice declined to block a transfer of air rights over the Art Students League of New York's historic building on West 57th Street, enabling construction of a 1,440 foot-high luxury residential tower.

More than 200 members of the non-profit organization had challenged the $31.8 million deal, in which the league's board of directors sold 6,000 square feet of additional air rights to Extell Development to build the tower, which would cantilever over the adjacent landmark American Fine Arts Building owned by the league.

The cantilever transaction adds to Extell's existing plans, secured by the 2005 purchase of air rights from the league, to build an 88-story building anchored by a Nordstrom's department store. The cantilever section would begin at the 30th floor....Read more in link:
Now that this debacle is finally done with, i really hope official renderings will be released to the public soon.

·
It was aliens
4,848 Posts
Obviously not a bad height but they really couldn't go a few feet higher to beat Sears? I guess no one cares but skyscraper nerds.

Hopefully that article is accurate. I suppose we should change the title to 1440 feet, 440 meters and 88 stories.

:)

·
It was aliens
4,848 Posts
I'm beginning to think we will never see a building taller than Sears in the US. There seems to be an unwritten rule about passing 1450' it seems.

Of course that still allows for some very tall, great building but still...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Now that this debacle is finally done with, i really hope official renderings will be released to the public soon.
That article you posted is old news, and doesn't really tell us anything regarding building height or design.

It's just a re-release of the same article from months ago, with the same estimated height except now they added a line how a judge refused an injunction from the students' group.

We really don't know the height, and can only go by the building permit filings.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
That article you posted is old news, and doesn't really tell us anything regarding building height or design. It's just a re-release of the same article from months ago, with the same estimated height except now they added a line how a judge refused an injunction from the students' group. We really don't know the height, and can only go by the building permit filings.
It's not old news! It's posted and dated today and it mentions the judge held a hearing on March 24 and April 4th and has officially made a ruling based from those hearing dates. What is today's date?? It's Uncle freakin Sam's day today.. April 15th. How is this news a couple months old?? Last I heard was these people where going to take Extell to court to stop the transfer and that was it until now. It's news to me.

I dunno about the height and I'm wishing for 1550' & believe me my preference is also to go with what the permit says, however if it truly does ends up 1440'.. it's a heck a lot better in my mind than 1423'.

·
It was aliens
4,848 Posts
It's not old news! It's posted and dated today and it mentions the judge held a hearing on March 24 and April 4th and has officially made a ruling based from those hearing dates. What is today's date?? It's Uncle freakin Sam's day today.. April 15th. How is this news a couple months old?? Last I heard was these people where going to take Extell to court to stop the transfer and that was it until now. It's news to me.

I dunno about the height and I'm wishing for 1550' & believe me my preference is also to go with what the permit says, however if it truly does ends up 1440'.. it's a heck a lot better in my mind than 1423'.
Because 17 feet just makes such an enormous difference. :lol:

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Because 17 feet just makes such an enormous difference. :lol:
Lemme explain something to ya.

My stomach is quite not satisfied with 1423! Still growlin! Grrr!

Now feed me with 1440' and it hits the spot quite nicely. ;)

·
It was aliens
4,848 Posts
Lemme explain something to ya.

My stomach is quite not satisfied with 1423! Still growlin! Grrr!

Now feed me with 1440' and it hits the spot quite nicely. ;)
Pass 1450' and I'm satisfied, or actually, pass Petronas Towers too at 1483' while they're at it. :lol:

I will be quite displeased with the developer if he chooses to build a 1449 or even 1450 foot building haha

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Let's not lose sight of this news... Which is way more important than the height reported... For now. :)

The big news is the courts decision is to not side with the plaintiffs.

This was the last obstacle for Extell to truly start and move fwd with their plans.

How could Extell show an official design & submit plans if they did not know for sure what design they will be moving forward with?

Up until this point the biggest question was will it be a favorable decision???

Now this decision has opened the floodgates and now allows them to set things in motion & move full steam ahead with the cantilevered version.

There are no more question marks and obstacles as we now know the cantilever is a fact moving forward. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A cantilever option was always going to be the shorter of the two, wasn't it? But also more aesthetically pleasing. The solution without a cantilever was, no matter the design, going to be needle thin and slender.

With a cantilever the building will have a better shape, I think. So I'm happy.

·
The only way is up
90,095 Posts
Let's not lose sight of this news... Which is way more important than the height reported... For now. :)

The big news is the courts decision is to not side with the plaintiffs.

This was the last obstacle for Extell to truly start and move fwd with their plans.

How could Extell show an official design & submit plans if they did not know for sure what design they will be moving forward with?

Up until this point the biggest question was will it be a favorable decision???

Now this decision has opened the floodgates and now allows them to set things in motion & move full steam ahead with the cantilevered version.

There are no more question marks and obstacles as we now know the cantilever is a fact moving forward. :cheers:

I couldn't agree more. I just hope they move forward quickly and we'll see renders soon. :)

4061 - 4080 of 11066 Posts