Skyscraper City Forum banner
5381 - 5400 of 11048 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love skyscrapers. With that said, here's a Bill Moyers piece about the buildings going up on Billionaires' Row. http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show-long-dark-shadows-plutocracy/#disqus_thread (p.s. - I'm posting this on the threads of the Billionaires' Row buildings because it makes perfect sense to do that.)
Without inequality, there would be few if any skyscrapers at all. I take a look at how inequality allows for skyscrapers like this to exist also why in the aggregate inequality is good for everyone when considering the consequences of forced equality.

http://opmaex.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/in-the-aggregate-society-would-suffer-without-inequality/

P.S if you want to disagree or debate that's fine, just don't do it here because it would be off topic.

·
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊
1,838 Posts
the gaps make it look like it did in the 30s and also if it were all filled in to that level it be another plateau:cheers:
Downtown and especially Midtown currently have a 600 - 900ft plateau. In 10 years we'll see a 1,000' plateau. And no, I'm not crazy. :D

·
It was aliens
4,807 Posts
I don't think anyone will argue that both shanghai and Dubai have taller and possibly more impressive buildings than NYC. But I do believe that what NY has that no other city has is that it's great growth of skyscrapers never ends, what I mean by this is that many city's have taller buildings than NY, but 20-30 years ago no one considered them as skyscraper city's where as NY was king. Today NY may not be king but it's definitely close to it. With the construction of this tower, the WTC and all the other 400m buildings NY is making a statement that it's not going to drop out of the race even though it doesn't have a chance at being first. NY also has a stature of superstars that no other city will ever have. I, like many others find this alone to be a riveting experience while walking the streets and seeing a building built in 1931 standing taller than most other buildings not only in the city but in the world. This is an experience unique to NY that no matter how tall a building Dubai or shanghai create they will never be able to replicate.:)
While height matters it only does to a certain point. For me, Shanghai is so much more impressive than Dubai even though the BK is higher than Shanghai Tower. While NYC might not have the tallest of the tall it will have more 3-400m buildings than any city on the planet rivaled only by maybe Dubai and Shenzhen. Keep in mind Shanghai only has 2 supertalls (supertall being around 400m to roof) yet it's still one of the skyscraper kings. In a few years NY will have triple that.

I do agree BK and Shanghai Tower/Financial center etc. are insanely impressive as individual buildings but as a whole city/skyline NY is pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
16,156 Posts
Drawings I made in the past month, they're fun!

source image here

Full size images: [1] [2] [3]
I would love it , if people would ask before altering my photos... :eek:hno: I wasn't even credited by the poster , I had to PM the webmaster to get the credit added in...

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
20,710 Posts
Exciting stuff! Wonder when we'll see the final design... I was just in NY and really impressed by 432 and it's presence around the park area, to think this will be 100-150 feet higher plus a pinnacle!
I heard Q1 2015, so probably a few months at most. Again though, I can't remember the source. I think it was someone who posted it here or a few ramblings from Extell.

5381 - 5400 of 11048 Posts