SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 996 Posts

·
Time for go to bed!
1,061 Posts

Brooklyn Nets

Some new renderings were introduced for the proposed new home of the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets.

Official Arena Site

(Sorry, I can't post flash images.)

Interesitng design.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Any pictures/renderings of the bowl?

That site didn't seem to have any. Who cares what the luxury suites won't end up looking like?! :lol:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Any pictures/renderings of the bowl?

That site didn't seem to have any. Who cares what the luxury suites won't end up looking like?! :lol:
You're right, this thing was supposed to be completed -- as of five years ago. :lol:

Ratner will never get this thing built. The Nets should just move to Newark.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mostly the credit crunch, Forrest City Ratner who was paying for the development couldn't get the finances in order for Gehry's $900 million arena plus the surrounding towers, so he was fired and they brought in Ellerbe Becket.

On all accounts that I've heard the seating bowl is basically the Conseco Fieldhouse with slight alterations, just the the fancy perforated CorTen wrapper that Shop Architects came up with.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If it's essentially the same seating bowl as Conseco then great. Conseco has the best seating bowl and design of any arena I've ever been in.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I liked Gehry's much better. Nothing wrong with conseco, but there are better ones out there. The Gehry design had overhang to the upper level, the suites were more discrete, the bowl elegantly balanced to the sidelines, and rehashing a design is just lazy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Conseco bowl is good for basketball, but it would be awful for hockey because of those diagonal corners. Legroom in the first row would be so varied.

Having now seen the bowl from Gehry's original design, I think it's awful. Way too many large gaps where things have to join nastily. Yes the top tier is flashy, but this isn't really much point to it.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
As I understand it, this isnt including any facilities for hockey? Its a shame. The Islanders might actually get someone to watch them if they actually had an arena in NYC.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
As I understand it, this isnt including any facilities for hockey? Its a shame. The Islanders might actually get someone to watch them if they actually had an arena in NYC.
They're planning to upgrade Nassau and build a retail and entertainment district around it.

·
Proud Facebook Non-Member
2,388 Posts
The latest...

This project looks to be very close to getting started. Read on:
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/documents-signed-atlantic-yards-moves-ahead/

I'll say...you have to be a really big-time real estate mogul with gonads of steel (or a mega-bucks plan) to withstand a labyrinth of legal, political and economic challenges to start up a project in a big urban center in one of more litigious societies in the universe. Anyone else would have quit eons ago.

·
Banned
42 Posts
he nets better hope they get lebron next year cuz after setting the nba record most lost before a win in nba history, its wont be fair if a sucky team move to this landmark arena

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
he nets better hope they get lebron next year cuz after setting the nba record most lost before a win in nba history, its wont be fair if a sucky team move to this landmark arena
If Lebron truly wants to win a championship he will avoid New York all together.

1 - 20 of 996 Posts