SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Downtown

And now heading back up with sore feet...

The one and only...

Greenwich Village

And of course, you can't have a New York tourist thread without...

Central Park

Now, the most interesting surprise about New York was the Cloisters museum. It was definitely not something I was expecting in Manhattan, and it definitely raised my appreciation for the City.

Heading up to the museum, I was surprised by the natural beauty of upper Manhattan.

The Cloisters Museum

View from the musem:

Well, it was fun. I definitely have much more exploring of this great city to do in the future.

·
3rd Coast
1,123 Posts
Great pictures, I love New York.

The Cloister Museum and surrounding area is something you wouldn't even expect of Manhattan.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
santobonao said:
amazing, you walk all manhattan?
Pretty much. That's definitely the best way to soak in a city. (though I did take the subway from the upper west side to the Cloisters. I would have walked had there not been a time issue.)

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Wow, that looks exactly like a European cloister from the medieval ages. Awesome photos!!
It is. See the following from the NYC Parks Dep't Website re: The Cloisters:

"A designated New York City landmark, it incorporates parts of actual Romanesque and Gothic cloisters from five medieval European monasteries, a Romanesque chapel, and a 12th-century Spanish apse."

·
Registered
859 Posts
This he is claustro of Sant Miquel de Cuixà, of Romanesque the Catalan (Spain). But we are in New York, in the Museum of the Cloister. Claustro was bought in 1906 by a North American and transferred piece by piece. Since then the National Museum of art of Catalonia was created in Barcelona so that the museum was never repeated but (has many Catalan pieces of importance for and the Spanish like tombs of its Kings etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts