Votes: 28 87.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) here is my new poll : what are more a global city tokyo or new york City ? Witht global I mean in terms of culture , nightlife (bars ,restaurants,clubs etc...) ,multiculturall life , fincance and other business , skyscraper, airports ,traffic etc.... !?

My opinion is that NYC is more global then tokyo because NYC has the only "european"subway network in US , 2 big international airports (JFK and Newark), a big commuter rail network , its very multiracial (alot of african americans (Harlem) and Latinos (spanish harlem and Bronx) ;culturell important over 150 museums, more then 10000 restaurants of every kitchen, a lot of clubs, bars and discoteques ;NYC is big in numbers of finance and have a lot of the HQs of worldwide important companies! NYC have more and impressive Skyscrapers than Tokyo i think,and NYC is part of one of the biggest Megalopolises the BOSWASH corridor from Boston in the north to Washington DC in the south with around 40 million people in it!

So whats your opinnion tokyo or NYC ? please poll and place an statement here :) .And please no WAR about tokyo or nYC only a little bit discussion !

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
NYC is far more global in my opinion. The city is made up of people of all cultures, languages, religions etc. Tokyo has a great lack of diversity...which is the same for most East Asian cities obviously.

·
Banned
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@zaki

Zaki said:
city vs city??? go read the rules

LOCK!!!
ooh , ive read the rules i dont know that comparsions between cities are newley forbiden, i hope that will be not an "my city is the best" thred !

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
What does "global" mean anyways...

NY gets far more tourists, is far more multicultural and diverse, you have restaurants from all over the world, you have districts in which minorities constitute the majority (and thus those areas are sort of a bridge between *normal New York and their region of origin) so I would say New York is more "global".

But it doesn't take anything of from Tokyo, which is awsome as the social and cultural japanese capital and it should remain so.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Modernization said:
I guess so. NYC is famous for immigrants but I voted Tokyo because its bigger. Tokyo is the greatest city on earth. NYC lacks in techonology but someday i'll catch up.
NYC lacks in technology? What? It's the capital of the world. It's got headquarters for the United Nations and a TON of other companies headquarters. Just beccause Tokyo's bigger doesn't mean anything. The poll said which city has more culture(NYC because people moved there from all around the world), nightlife(Times Square and a ton of other stuff), multicultural life(NYC), finance(NYC, Wall Street, all of downtown, World Financial Center), skyscrapers(NYC), airports(NYC's probably getting a 4th one), traffic(Tokyo). I'm not trying to start an argument or say anything bad about Tokyo because it's a great city. But I THINK NYC is more of a global city.

·
Banned
334 Posts
ch...After the 9-11 terriost attack NY isn't so good anymore at least you woudn't want to live there. Global doens't necessarily means great ethnic diversity. I'm thankful that Tokyo isn't like that. Tokyo is a blend of East and West, isn't that amazing how Eastern and Western cultures come together. I don't see why NY is far better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
EtherealMist said:
^^ yea plus NYC has the U.N.

Yea, that factors in.
definitely NYC. tokyo does not even qualify to compete with NYC except for the population. technology comparison? well it would settle the childish dispute considering atomic bomb technology created by the U.S.
London, Paris, Los Angeles or maybe HK should be a contender against NYC.

This comparison sounds more preposterous to me; besides, if not my mistaken,jap is not even a permanent member of the Security Council.

·
Banned
334 Posts
off topic.This is about NYC itself, the UN and all other nonsense sh*ts you listed have nothing to do with global cities. DId you read the topic, in case you didn't, tokyo is the greatest in terms of everything. ok.
In tokyo (and some other Asian cities) street signs are written in both English and the official language. You don't see that in NY do you??? Wow, Tokyo is a blend of Eastern and Western culture, isn't it amazing?
By the way, Los Angeles isn't a global city it shoudn't be on there

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
To me, this is kind of no brainer!
NYC itself is made up by global immigrants, if it wasn't the fact, I doubt that we will see the way NYC is today, it is the creation of mixture of culture, ideas and concepts that crushing together into one big metro of melting pot!
Oh, yea, why do you think that they have UN in NYC? Is it a sign that NYC in the world is like a default global village! :)

Tokyo to me is another wonderful city that is in the global status(World city). However, it lacks in culture diversifications due to its root as japaness. However, Tokyo has becoming quite global nowadays thanks to the technology and media that help diversify its lifestyle.

So NYC to me is WAY more as global city than Tokyo!

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Modernization said:
I guess so. NYC is famous for immigrants but I voted Tokyo because its bigger. Tokyo is the greatest city on earth. NYC lacks in techonology but someday i'll catch up.
What you are saying doesn't really make any sense particularly regarding to the topic!
BTW, NYC lacks in technology? :bash: :sleepy:
Please don't let Tokyo ambition cloud your judgement! :sleepy:

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Modernization said:
ch...After the 9-11 terriost attack NY isn't so good anymore at least you woudn't want to live there. Global doens't necessarily means great ethnic diversity. I'm thankful that Tokyo isn't like that. Tokyo is a blend of East and West, isn't that amazing how Eastern and Western cultures come together. I don't see why NY is far better.
LOL!
Sure Tokyo is a blend of east and west....in the small scale, but look at NYC, it is a melting pot of east and west...EVERYWHERE....have you been to NYC's ethnicity towns like China town, little tokyo....ect.? :sleepy:
You need to get out and learn more before you make these claims! :)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
fish said:
This thread is b.s. :lock:
This thread isn't a good comparison at all!
:lock:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.