SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1282 Posts

·
Southeast Missourian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
MLB

New York Yankees

27x Champion (record):
1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936,
1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943,
1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952,
1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962,
1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999,
2000, 2009

New Yankee Stadium: $1.3 billion

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-newyankeestadium&prov=ap&type=lgns

Okay, I know land in New York costs a lot, but it shouldn't cost that much. New Yankee Stadium is going to be nice, though. I do feel sorry for the New Yorkers pocketbooks (taxes will pay for $220 million). The Yankees also have to build a new recreational park now (or they promised they would anyway).

Wow.

And being a Cardinal fan, I can honestly say you don't have to spend that much to make a great ballpark.
new Busch Stadium: $365 million dollars, $45 mil of it from taxes.

ballparksofbaseball.com lists the estimated cost of the Twins new ballpark at $522 million, The Rays at $450 mil (no news on financing yet), The A's Park (in Fremont) $400-$500 mil, Marlins - $525 mil ($199 mil from Miami-Dade County and $121 mil from the city of Miami, Citi Field (Mets) $632 mil (The Mets are paying for all of it)

I know the Yankees have a right to do what they want with their new park, but it just surprises me that a MLB ballpark would cost this much. It must not be just the cost of land or labor in New York, considering the Mets are spending half as much (and apparently not charging the tax payers).

But it must be a beautiful new park to cost that much. I do like all the amenities it listed, just surprised it cost so much.

Some more info:
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/YankeeStadiumII.htm
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/02/2008-01-02_that_new_yankee_stadium_parking_spot_wil.html

Yankee fans can expect to pay a whopping $29 for stadium parking during home games starting in 2010 - more than twice last year's $14 rate.

Those who want valet service will pay $40 - a sharp increase over today's $30 rate.

The projected hikes were revealed in the fine print of a $237 million Wall Street bond offering that the city Industrial Development Agency issued two weeks ago to finance the creation and refurbishing of nearly 9,000 parking spaces for the new stadium.

The basic game-day parking rates will jump to $17 this year, then to $19 next year, when the new $1 billion Yankee Stadium is slated to open.

The rates would then zoom to $29 in 2010 and would increase to $35 by 2014, according to a parking feasibility study that accompanies the bond documents.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/john_rolfe/01/03/stadium.parking.flap/

If there's a positive here, it's that fans will be encouraged to use mass transit, although the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will raise fares in March and another hike is expected in two years. This is the same poverty-stricken MTA that wanted to sell a valuable parcel of land in Manhattan at a low, low discount price to the New York Jets for a new pigskin parlor. Fortunately, the sale and stadium were ultimately torpedoed by state legislators who smelled tar boiling.
The last link also has a spreadsheet of what different aspects of the new stadium will cost the city, the state, the team, and the federal government.

I posted this on a couple other forums, so if you belong to those forums it might sound familiar.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Ridiculous amount. Dallas Cowboys new stadium is hardly over 1 billion and look at the size compared to this. And I think theres already a thread over this.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
I think stienbrenner is making up that price to get the city to pay for more then he is. what a smook. What makes this add up to 1.2 million? Its smaller then the old crap, so how does it cost more? No roof, so WTF?

·
10,638 Posts
a) Surely you guys have heard of New York City? In case you weren't aware, everything is more expensive in NYC, especially real estate and construction. Simply coordinating the arrival of materials on the island is a tremendous art form and expense.

b) This facility is going to be spruced up with all the amenities. What you can't see in the model are the Trump-like details Emperor Steinbrenner wants in the club level and suites.

c) What cost $1B to build yesterday costs $1.1B today. Such is the pricing in this economy. Yes, the nation may be in a recession as a whole, but NYC construction at this level is doing well enough there's no big discount coming the Yankee's way.

Is it a lot? Sure, but it was going to cost a lot to begin with. I agree that it's overspending but there's no possible way the Yankees could've stayed in the Bronx for less than $1B. Land is just that expensive. Conversely, if George ends up using the old site wisely he can easily recoup much of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think the pictures of the model above do any justice to what this stadium will look like. The aim of the whole project was to emulate the original YAnkee Stadium built in the 20's...

The limestone covered facade with the name "Yankee Stadium" inlaid in gold makes it look more like a landmark building fit for City Halls and Capitols more than a stadium considering its sort of Neo classical design.

Two Bronze Medallions will be put into those to holes.

They've even moved the trademark Frieze design from the outfield back to the main stand just like it was in the original stadium. Which makes me think what distinctive or trademark feature Anfield has aside from the Kop that we can maybe incorporate in the stadium design.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
looks like the entrance to Natzi Germanys SS Headquarters. All hail the Evil Empire and there over priced hole.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I love how they're designing the facade to look like the original.....and limestone at that! The cost of $1.3b does seem quite a lot though considering Wembley cost $1.5b.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Don't see how its overpriced. The only reason JerryWorld is cheaper is because real estate in suburban Dallas aint worth a dime, not to mention a plethora of concrete mills about 10 miles away. If any stadium is overpriced, its JerrahWorld

·
Registered
611 Posts
a) Surely you guys have heard of New York City? In case you weren't aware, everything is more expensive in NYC, especially real estate and construction. Simply coordinating the arrival of materials on the island is a tremendous art form and expense.

b) This facility is going to be spruced up with all the amenities. What you can't see in the model are the Trump-like details Emperor Steinbrenner wants in the club level and suites.

c) What cost $1B to build yesterday costs $1.1B today. Such is the pricing in this economy. Yes, the nation may be in a recession as a whole, but NYC construction at this level is doing well enough there's no big discount coming the Yankee's way.

Is it a lot? Sure, but it was going to cost a lot to begin with. I agree that it's overspending but there's no possible way the Yankees could've stayed in the Bronx for less than $1B. Land is just that expensive. Conversely, if George ends up using the old site wisely he can easily recoup much of it.
NYC really isn't the only city where everything is more expensive. Problem is that apperantly alot of the money is going to the corporate suites, which the real fans don't benefit from. And the stadium looks like it's designed by friggin' Albert Speer, I really don't like the neoclassical design. And the thing doesn't even have a roof! For that money, they could've build something much more innovative. But I guess Ballparks tend to be kinda boring in general...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know NY, but looking at the pic above 1.3 Billion is probable for the land, new field, practice field (on the right), new roads, and demolition of the old stadium, and some new parking.

·
28,091 Posts
how much will cost new Mets stadium?

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
Don't see how its overpriced. The only reason JerryWorld is cheaper is because real estate in suburban Dallas aint worth a dime, not to mention a plethora of concrete mills about 10 miles away. If any stadium is overpriced, its JerrahWorld
but with Jerry World we can all physically see that 1 billion tag. With this, you can only probably see the 1.2 billion if your in a suite.

1 - 20 of 1282 Posts