SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 1282 Posts

·
10,911 Posts
NYC really isn't the only city where everything is more expensive. Problem is that apperantly alot of the money is going to the corporate suites, which the real fans don't benefit from.
Well, let's play fair. We can't assume they're not true fans, they just clearly have different designs on what constitutes a pro sports experience. But that doesn't mean they're not Yankee fans, otherwise there wouldn't be this kind of a market, no? Just saying. ;)

And the stadium looks like it's designed by friggin' Albert Speer, I really don't like the neoclassical design.
Well, this is what George and most Yankee fans wanted, an homage to what was. I guess they'll leave innovation in form to the Devil Rays. It's not as if the Yankees organization or the Yankee fans are considered cutting edge!

And the thing doesn't even have a roof! For that money, they could've build something much more innovative. But I guess Ballparks tend to be kinda boring in general...
Maybe my last statement is the real factor: This is the Yankees organization, after all. Their current modus operandi is buy established/fading talent at outlandish prices and assume the starpower will equate to post-season success. Maybe that same cockiness translated into the bidding for contractors? After all, this is the wealthiest (or top 3, at least) sports franchises in the US.

And as for your note on form, there truly is only so much you can do with a baseball stadium, especially given the confines of the site and the demands for modern concourses.

Too clasical and way to expensive
To us, perhaps, but apparently not to the future owners.

·
10,911 Posts
Future owners, this stadium will be in the Steinbrenner family for the next 200 years.
I meant that as in "the team that will own the stadium once it's complete." Perhaps I should've said future residents.

or a $300 mill rennovation.....
The quote I recall for a renovation was on the order of $500M, not including the costs associated with any temporary relocation to who-knows-where while the renovations were being completed. In the end the renovations wouldn't resolve issues such as handicap access, improved sightlines, etc to the degree a new stadium would. Plus the structure would've required additional structural upgrades again the not-too-distant future, or at least sooner than this new stadium would.

I'm not saying a renovation couldn't be made cost-effective, but the long term yield obviously didn't convince the team's owners.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
^^meaning 30.000 fans are not able to pay a seat in the new stadium and being dumped? Or were there alot of empty seats in the old stadium?

·
Registered
749 Posts
30,000 seats cut? More like 6,000. This is easily the biggest baseball stadium in construction seat wise int he last 30 years (the others have had less seats). In fact when this stadium is done it wil still bei nthe top 3 in seating capacity.

I dont see why some of you are making such a big huff about how much a building costs. Especially DallasBrink who seems to have something against the Yankees? But limestone is very expensive, it is not as cheap like brick or other outside wall materials.

And you can't 'clean' up the old stadium. Like I said before the old stadium looks nothing like its original form. It was almost completely demolished in the last renovation and the stadium there is nothing but a 1970's peice of architecture. All its art deco granduer was gone with renovation.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
Still, those 6000 fans are more loyal fans then those pompas but fucks in those heated boxes. Pussys, they cant fight the elements with the rest of us. If i was a Yankee fan (thank god im not) I would be mad as hell and be going Ape shit over this.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The new Twins ballpark (40,000 seats, about 60 suites, to 54,000 and I think about 60 suites) is going to have a Facade composed of limestone and glass and the cost is less than half of this ($522 million to $1.3 billion), so some outrage is warranted. Having the extra "grand concourse" really increases the size and materials required, and land in NY and what ever else they manage to blow this on (also they may be using a support system that requires more steel than normal, which would make a suprisingly big difference)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Still, those 6000 fans are more loyal fans then those pompas but fucks in those heated boxes. Pussys, they cant fight the elements with the rest of us. If i was a Yankee fan (thank god im not) I would be mad as hell and be going Ape shit over this.
Yes but this is the trend in baseball in general, not just Yankees Stadium (the Mets fans should be more pissed, they lost 9-11k seats?)

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
The new Twins ballpark (40,000 seats, about 60 suites, to 54,000 and I think about 60 suites) is going to have a Facade composed of limestone and glass and the cost is less than half of this ($522 million to $1.3 billion), so some outrage is warranted. Having the extra "grand concourse" really increases the size and materials required, and land in NY and what ever else they manage to blow this on (also they may be using a support system that requires more steel than normal, which would make a suprisingly big difference)
that is smart construction. Also all the steal work will help it to be built faster.

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
how much will cost new Mets stadium?
Article in today's NY Times says $800 million. And they're not over budget.

However, they're building CitiField over part of the current Shea Stadium parking lot, unlike the Yankees who build over parkland and are required to find and construct replacement parkland. The plan is the site where the current Yankee Stadium is will be cleared and turned into parkland. A parking garage will be built underneath the replacement park. And the Mets also do not have to have a new train station built for them.

Plus, the land in Queens is more available than the land in the Bronx so doubtless it'll be cheaper to build in Queens. And the Mets are building an even smaller park... I think it was what.. .43,000 vs. the Yankees 50,000?

So the Yankee Stadium construction is more complex than CitiField construction.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
21,906 Posts
Ugly and overpriced.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Is this stadium made of gold? I can't believe that a stadium which is not a dome and has the capacity of a little more than 50K cost 1.3 billion dollars.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Is this stadium made of gold? I can't believe that a stadium which is not a dome and has the capacity of a little more than 50K cost 1.3 billion dollars.
Like the Cowboys stadium it will simply have nicer amenities than most. Most stadiums are very basic with maybe a decent roof. On top of that, roofs simply aren't as expensive as most seem to think. I remember the Cotton Bowl survey. A roof was gonna be about $200 million for a steel structure that would cover the entire roof.

21 - 40 of 1282 Posts