SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 1282 Posts

·
Canadian eh!
3,487 Posts
Hey guys there is already a thread on this stadium. No need for another. Look it up.

·
28,084 Posts

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
21,906 Posts
Interior is fairly nice. But outside it looks like it's from 1930's Nazi Germany.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
This stadium indeed deserves to be a home to MLB's Real Madrid. Santiago Bernabeu in New York! :eek:kay::eek:kay::eek:kay:

In fact New York Yankees has a lot of things in common with Real Madrid.

First, just as Real Madrid has been the most successful club in domestic league and Champions League in European football, New York Yankees has been the most successful club in American League(equivalent to domestic league of each country) and World Series(equivalent to Champions League) in Major League Baseball.

Second, just as Real Madrid has a good derby rival(Atletico Madrid) in their region, New York Yankees has a good derby rival(New York Mets) in their region.

Third, but just as the rival match with a club from other region(Barcelona) is more famous than the original Madrid derby in La Liga, the rival match with a club from other region(Boston) is more famous than the original New York derby in Major League Baseball. Yankees VS Boston match has a good reason to be called El Classico in baseball.

Fourth, just as Real Madrid is the richest football club in the world, New York Yankees is the richest baseball club in the world.

Last, just as Real Madrid has been infamous for their reckless betting for star players, New York Yankees has been infamous for their reckless betting for star players and that's why New York Yankees is called Empire of Evil by other teams and their fans.

If NY Yankees chose to change their name, Real Yankees would be the just right name :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I understand that the Yankees have some kind of marketing tie up with Manchester United. Given the current relationship between Manchester United and Real Madrid over Judas Ronaldo ($150M - WTF?) I doubt the Yanks would be changing their name anytime soon.

I quite like the new design. Not sure about the price tag but land will eat your budget fast in NYC.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I understand that the Yankees have some kind of marketing tie up with Manchester United. Given the current relationship between Manchester United and Real Madrid over Judas Ronaldo ($150M - WTF?) I doubt the Yanks would be changing their name anytime soon.

I quite like the new design. Not sure about the price tag but land will eat your budget fast in NYC.
The relationship between the Yankees and Manchester United lasted 1 year before it was broken off. The Yankees have no relationship with any footy teams at the moment.

·
Top Gear is back!
125 Posts
Well they didn't have much choice but to use columns in 1923 when it was built. That's the only way such such monstrous overhangs were possible.

But perhaps you prefer this renovation in 1975?

Of course renovation may not be the proper term. They gutted the stadium pretty good.

Before:

After:

"Renovation"

My opinion is the 1973 renovation was poorly done. It sucked the soul from the place. Now with the new stadium a great ballpark will be totally lost. I wish it was maintained and updated with the care of Wrigley or Fenway. Losing a gem of a stadium is terrible.

This new stadium is much smaller than the original (70,000 -> 52,000) and while the it might be designed like the old Yankee Stadium, it's going to feel more like any other new stadium. Where are the overhangs and the roof? It's not the best for views, but it's the character. Where are the massive outfield bleachers? Gone and set back further. Maybe I will be completely wrong, I really need to visit the new Yankee Stadium to be sure, but right now I don't like it.

Oh well, in time this new stadium will hopefully create it's own character.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yeah, they should have never screwed around with it in the 1970s.

Now you would go to the place to see the team, but not the stadium. Unlike Boston and Chicago.

·
Registered
749 Posts
This new stadium is much smaller than the original (70,000 -> 52,000) and while the it might be designed like the old Yankee Stadium, it's going to feel more like any other new stadium. Where are the overhangs and the roof? It's not the best for views, but it's the character. Where are the massive outfield bleachers? Gone and set back further. Maybe I will be completely wrong, I really need to visit the new Yankee Stadium to be sure, but right now I don't like it.

Oh well, in time this new stadium will hopefully create it's own character.
The current stadium does not have 70k seats. I believe it is only 57k. Also the original stadium seated over 80k I believe.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Where did they play during the original renovation? Shea Stadium?

I was in a box at Yankee Stadium for a game against the Red Sox in 2001, was a great experience, even though I didnt really understand the rules :)

61 - 80 of 1282 Posts