SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the world's most iconic department store may receive a towering addition. The parking lot, offices and store in Brooklyn are currently being redeveloped.

Macy’s explores raising skyscraper atop Midtown flagship

Bloomberg reports that the company has had preliminary discussions with city officials, including Manhattan borough president Gale Brewer, about adding an office tower of approximately 1.2 million square feet to its Midtown flagship. That could translate into an 800-foot skyscraper on top of the nearly block-long retail space—one that would require zoning changes to put into effect.

wikipedia

·
16,460 Posts

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can they do that without losing retail space? If anything, retail space in Macy's should be exapnded instead of shrinked. I was shocked about what happened with Manhattan Mall.
Macy's, like other 20th century retail giants, has fallen under hard times. They're closing hundreds of stores. The last thing they need is more space for retail.

·
i ♥ NY
4,891 Posts
The proposed tower looks gigantic, it must have seriously sized floor plates. I like those little details on the facade, making it look wavy. It reminds me of something that could be proposed for Tokyo or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts