SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

ccording to zoning documents, the Trust for Governors Island has considered two development scenarios: In one, most of the land available for development would be dedicated to university and dormitory use, with some hotels and retail. The second would dedicate more than 1.8 million square feet to office use and 1.5 million square feet to biotech/research, with space set aside for 1,363 hotel rooms, a conference center and retail.
The large island in the middle of Upper New York Bay (Port of NY/NJ) is prime for developments following the creation of new parkland. A rezoning effort is underway.

Max Touhey

·
Super Moderator
11,197 Posts
Okay I am not particularly thrilled at the idea, but I think it might mostly be because I am not sure how they plan on developing that without better access to the island... do they still only plan on using the limited ferry service that has always been a queued pain for me to use?

I doubt there is any tunnel plan to bring an underground shuttle or subway extension? For example, the 6 train to reach Red Hook as its new terminus, with Governor Island in between.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Go ahead and build up Gov's island, it would be a nice place to work or enjoy drinks on the waterfront.. But the ferry isn't going to be good enough. I think the subway will need to come here someday or another solution, like a bridge or gondola.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Okay I am not particularly thrilled at the idea, but I think it might mostly be because I am not sure how they plan on developing that without better access to the island... do they still only plan on using the limited ferry service that has always been a queued pain for me to use?

I doubt there is any tunnel plan to bring an underground shuttle or subway extension? For example, the 6 train to reach Red Hook as its new terminus, with Governor Island in between.
Gondola should be built, you can have a ski style gondola system put in place between the island, manhattan and brooklyn.. It's cheaper than any subway or tunnel under the river.

·
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember correctly a Gondola to the Battery and a Pedestrian Bridge to Red Hook were recently floated as ideas. Roads aren't wide on the island so a tunnel or a road bridge are not likely candidates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts