SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
825-Foot, 53-Story Residential Tower Coming to 15 East 30th Street (More in link)
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/09/825-foot-53-story-residential-tower-coming-to-15-east-30th-street.html

According to a permit application filed this morning, J.D. Carlisle intends to build a 53-story, 825-foot residential tower at 15 East 30th Street. Its height would make it the tallest building between Chambers Street and the Empire State Building, positioning it somewhere between the old RCA Building and CitySpire Center in the ranking of New York City’s tallest towers.

Handel Architects filed for the permit, but whether they’re the design architect or just the architect of record, we do not know – nobody from J.D. Carlisle was available for comment when we called.

The tower will hold nearly 370,000 square feet of space. Of that, 310,000 square feet will count towards the developer’s residential allotment, with a small 4,090-square foot commercial space. The permit indicates 188 apartments, for an average unit size of around 1,650 square feet.

·
16,650 Posts
wow, it's always good to hear about a tall skyscraper going up outside the two big CBDs in Manhattan. This might even encroach upon the ESB a little, I wouldn't be surprised if that causes a bit of controversy.

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
Great news! I knew that something was happening here because a retail tenant recently moved out. Two new towers will rise across the street too.

I 'd like to see Carlisle get the crappy corner building on Madison too.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone pin point this site on a map or something? I'm lost as to where it is
It's four blocks south from the Empire State Building just off of 5th Ave. (Betw. 5th and Mad). Look up at Hudson11 post for map

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Absolutely awesome. I love ESB, but it's always sort of bothered me that it's this very abrupt bookend to Midtown, with that immediate dropoff to predominantly lowrise neighborhoods south of 30th. The other skinny NoMad towers are nice, but not quite big enough to feel like they're really stretching the Midtown skyline South in a significant way. At 825 ft. this should be different.

That's not to say that I want to ruin the lowrise character of those neighborhoods in the middle -- the Villages and Flatiron and the Bowery and all the rest are perfect the way they are. I just wouldn't complain if a few, sporadic tall towers popped up here and there to create a visual link between the Midtown and Downtown skylines.

And if this sets the precedent for someone to finish Metropolitan Life North, well...

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yea. It's good to see a project with this kind of height to join the 777ft, 45 E. 22nd.

From 22nd Street to 34th street we'll will probably see more projects with this kind of heights moving forward.

To put it in perspective the significance of this tower will have in the skyline, 56 Leonard will stand 821' with 500k sf of development as opposed to 825' & 370k sf for this tower so the impact will be huge. This tower will be a bit skinnier vs. 56 Leonard.

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
There is A LOT of construction which will occur on this street, and in the very immediate area, including:

1. A new condo across the street at 291 Fifth

2. Some new project will rise directly across 30th St where a small building was just razed. I'd be shocked if the adjacent garage is not part of the project.

3. This project around the corner on 5th between 30th and 31st.

4. HFZ's project on 30th just west of 5th (It will sit behind the great old building on 5th and will replace, among other things, the drab brown building behind the nice one.)

5. This beautiful building, which is a dime a dozen in this area, will be near the new tower's 31st St entrance.

This hotel is rising across from the 31st St entrance:

6. 160 Madison is a few blocks to the north on 33rd.

7. 172 Madison will rise on the north side of 33rd.

8. The new Virgin Hotel and

9. 855 6th ALso are rising nearby, as is

10. 400 Park Ave South.

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
I hope that the developer acquires this eyesore, which is on Madison and is adjacent to 15 E. 30th.

I am fairly sure that this nice (albeit dilapidated) building on E 30th is part of the site. It has been vacant for quite some time .

1 - 20 of 137 Posts