SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1322 Posts

·
User
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start a new thread on this one, can't find the old thread. Here's some stats, renderings and a construction update.

Stats:

Height to rooftop: 748 ft/228 m
Height to top of ceramic screens: 840 ft/256 m
Height to the tip of spire: 1,140 feet/347 m
Architect: Renzo Piano

Renderings:

Pictures posted by NYguy at SSP, showing off some great progress. Should start rising now...

NYguy said:
APRIL 23, 2005

We now summon forth the New York Times tower. Rise up, and take your rightful place on the skyline.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
is it me or is nyc putting a spire on everything

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
I could not find a thread on this one either, so thanks for starting this one. I'm wondering how deep bedrock is in this area of manhatten, the hole, (excavation) looks like it's no more than 20 to 30' deep? Out here in the west I've seen shorter towers go up from a grid of Column footings, tied together with floorbeams, and the slab poured on after steel erection has started. All of these buildings where less than 20 storys. The MGM tower in Century City, also used this method, except it sat on driven piles under the column footings, this tower is 36 storys tall. (the tower is below grade only 1 and a 1/2 sublevels). I've never seen a 50+ story building use this method, however i know in New York that in some cases, the bedrock is very shallow, and sometimes blasting is required to "socket" foundations into it. This i would find very interesting, a 748' office tower sitting on a foundation that is no deeper than 30' from grade, allthough i understand that if the bedrock is shallow it could easily handle the load, i've never seen so tall a building in so shallow a hole. Very cool !!!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
is it me or is nyc putting a spire on everything
Yeah it seems a bit "added on" to this building. I still think the tower looks great though, I'm a big fan of those screens at the top.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
So they're going to put a 400ft spire on the roof of a 740ft building and call it an 1100 footer?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Decent building but I thought was gonna be taller. I guess the spire mislead me into thinking that tower was gonna be 1000 ft.+ without counting the spire.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Wow! :eek:kay: I had no idea this one had even begun yet! I like its design, somewhat similar to Symphony Tower in Atlanta.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
shivtim said:
Yeah it seems a bit "added on" to this building. I still think the tower looks great though, I'm a big fan of those screens at the top.
I think the Union Square phase 7 building in hong kong also has that feature at the top. It sure beats spires, although NYTimes is going to have both.

·
Most ignored user!
354 Posts
There is a cleared site just along from where this tower is going to be....anyone know whats going there? Pretty big hole, could be a big tower??

1 - 20 of 1322 Posts