SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
I was wondering about this. Glad to see it's not dead. It seems like it would become of the most famous buildings in NY. I can't wait to see more. I wanted to see something more like the first version of the Freedom Tower with its diagrid shell, but this seems just as amazing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the design is crazy and i love it. It is so cutting edge and unique. I think that will be a word that will be used alot when describing this tower, unique.

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
And because it's so unique, and not to mention taller than anything around it, I can already hear the NIMBYs gathering; the whining and bitching will commence momentarily so enjoy the ride before it gets bumpy.

·
5,837 Posts
I do... it is going to completely block out Metropolitan life insurance from the south. I don't care how sweet it looks. I hope nothing that imposing gets built on that site. Sorry but I do. I would miss the duet Empire State and MetlifeInsr make when viewed from Brooklyn and down in the ville. Whats odd is how little Met gets recognition on here. It is a New York icon, a testament to skyscraper building at the turn of the century, and to boot--a gorgeous looking tower. And we are so quick to dismiss it and put this giant Libeskind "sculpture" right ontop of it (practically). ..And all we have to go on is a snippet of this building.

·
38,000 Posts
As I recalled, The 11 Madison Avenue was actaully planned to be taller?, as tall as The Empire States I think.

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
I couldn't care less if the Chrysler Building itself gets blocked from all angles by taller skyscrapers so long as they are great towers as well. It will always be there. It doesn't even matter since there's no law I know of that would prevent this. Metlife may be loved NYers, but I bet most of the rest of America and world wouldn't even care if this were built. In fact, wasn't 11 Madison supposed to be the WTB at one point? I always thought this tower was being proposed on top of it. I'm pretty sure that 11 Madison was supposed to be something like 100 floors tall, and it would be possible to complete the tower one day in the future since the building was designed to be a supertall.

If it were completed back then, I think it could have been as famous as the ESB.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Gotta agree with nygirl. This will block out Met life completely and ruin the classic view, of the ESB and Metlife, you get from union sq and below. This could potentially be a disaster if built on this spot. Built it elsewhere, near tribeca or the financial district, for example. Not here.

·
I got the brain too.
74 Posts
The developer said that the design is over a year old and no longer reflects the current state of the project, which breaks my heart. Let's hope that the developer hasn't patched this one up too much.

The deconstructed facade and tubular shape of the building is exactly what the future NYC skyline needs. Daniel Libeskind really hit this one out of the park with this skyscraper.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
yes welcome to the darkside. but like ebola said it would have been block by 11 madison anyway had it be completed. Alot of supertall were cut off at the neck during the 30's and 40's need I say why.

·
Registered
571 Posts
First, I truly dislike trees inside buildings; they're supposed to be around them, unless it's for a winter garden or something. But definitely not at such a high altitude. Second, the design is just too contemporary for my taste. Don't get this ugly monster built.

·
Leicester:NY:London
493 Posts
^^ I agree fully, trees are meant for parks.. not for skyscrapers and this skyscraper is garbage, just like everything else Libeskind designs. Clearly his buildings are just too out there for the average person seeing that his WTC design was thrown out the window.

Anyway, the chances of this building going up in the coming years are slim to none. The credit crisis has caused many of New York's largest corporations to shed tens of thousands of jobs, which will ultimately cause a surplus in office space. Thank god for that.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
This is (or was) stunning. I'm finding it hard to fathom the two posts above mine... I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I can't get my head around ^those^ two.

Edit: And the more trees the better. They are great for the environment, eating up C02 and putting out Oxygen. They should be incorporated into every development possible.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Incredible! And I love how they aren't demolishing anything for this as well as not fully blocking the Met! Great design too. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 246 Posts