SkyscraperCity Forum banner
40001 - 40020 of 58288 Posts

·
Riemanns Hypothesis
675 Posts
Wait..I thought we were on page 1996 just yesterday.How did we..nevermind.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The supergun in the top floors is a fascinating idea, maybe good for the next 007 movie, but concerns about another terroristic attack in 9/11 style has only brought - as it was to be - to passive defense technology, not to active ones.
Old WTC had been tested - virtually - for a B707 impact - the largest airliner at that time, but not so smaller than a 767 - but for some reason the 'iron-only' structure has proven not to have enough resistence in cases like that one. Anyway, the hope we all feed is not to have a chance to experience this again.

·
Banned
512 Posts
"realistic skyscraper security measures are making the building so strong that an airliner can't hurt it. 1WTC has been made with such strength,"

I find it hard to believe that you can make a building so strong. I know that this building has been extra fortified but if there are any tall buildings that could withstand a hit from a large jet surely the ones in China with the huge external supercolumns would be the most likely too. Of course it is to be hoped that we never find out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I find it hard to believe that you can make a building so strong. I know that this building has been extra fortified but if there are any tall buildings that could withstand a hit from a large jet surely the ones in China with the huge external supercolumns would be the most likely too. Of course it is to be hoped that we never find out.
I think the point are not (only) supercolumns but the super-reinforced core structure of the mostpart of Chinese supertalls. 4 outer lines and further 4 inner and crossed lines of heavy iron plates, all surrounded by the usual rods's grille, and all of this merged into concrete. Same principle goes with supercolumns of course.
The old WTC had none of all of this, only a criss-cross cage of iron trusses.
No concrete at all, not even in the core structure.
In hindsight, there's no wonder with the fact they collapsed.
An aircraft can destroy - we've witnessed that - relatively thin (and 'naked') iron trusses: I seriously doubt it could do the same against thick iron plates merged into concrete.
Just 'academy' of course: let's hope we'll never find it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
RKOwens4 said:
^^ This is the final straw that broke the camel's back. I am officially no longer interested in One World Trade Center whatsoever. From April 2007 to earlier this year, not a single day passed when I didn't follow 1WTC's progress on earthcam and these forums. In September 2009 I was able to get access inside the construction site and walk around inside 1WTC's lobby. Back then it was a like a young child with a bright future. It could have been something truly amazing.

However, in the years since, there has been one thing after the other taking away all that was good about 1WTC. First it was the scrapping of the restaurant at the top of the building. Then it was the abandoning of the plan for prismatic glass around the base. Then it was the scrapping of the planned spire, not only resulting in its replacement by a hideously bare antenna but also its promised height of 1776 feet. And now, they have officially abandoned the plan for tapered corners in the podium instead replacing it with a square cube, making the base as dull as it could possibly be and the building overall bottom-heavy. The purpose of the tapering-in base was to make the building look like an upward-turned and elongated diamond. The child with the bright future that I met in September 2009 has grown up to be a violently abused drug addict on the streets. For five years I defended this building from people who disliked it and thought the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt. Although I'm not in favor of the Twin Towers 2 idea, I absolutely hate this building now. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's time to stop playing apologist for the Port Authority. I did that after the restaurant and glass prisms, but no more.
It pains me to say this but I have to agree. As a native New Yorker living abroad I was very excited to check out 1WTC when I visited home recently. I'd always admired the geometric simplicity of the design and liked what I'd seen in photos during construction. In person, however, I was underwhelmed. Something about the proportions and details don't look quite right to me. From a distance its ok but standing next to it left me cold. I hope my opinion changes next time I'm there and the building is finished.

·
Rooftop Shooter
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the point are not (only) supercolumns but the super-reinforced core structure of the mostpart of Chinese supertalls. 4 outer lines and further 4 inner and crossed lines of heavy iron plates, all surrounded by the usual rods's grille, and all of this merged into concrete. Same principle goes with supercolumns of course.
The old WTC had none of all of this, only a criss-cross cage of iron trusses.
No concrete at all, not even in the core structure.
In hindsight, there's no wonder with the fact they collapsed.
An aircraft can destroy - we've witnessed that - relatively thin (and 'naked') iron trusses: I seriously doubt it could do the same against thick iron plates merged into concrete.
Just 'academy' of course: let's hope we'll never find it out.
''steel" trusses.

·
Oh, come on!
88 Posts
^^ This is the final straw that broke the camel's back. I am officially no longer interested in One World Trade Center whatsoever. From April 2007 to earlier this year, not a single day passed when I didn't follow 1WTC's progress on earthcam and these forums. In September 2009 I was able to get access inside the construction site and walk around inside 1WTC's lobby. Back then it was a like a young child with a bright future. It could have been something truly amazing.

However, in the years since, there has been one thing after the other taking away all that was good about 1WTC. First it was the scrapping of the restaurant at the top of the building. Then it was the abandoning of the plan for prismatic glass around the base. Then it was the scrapping of the planned spire, not only resulting in its replacement by a hideously bare antenna but also its promised height of 1776 feet. And now, they have officially abandoned the plan for tapered corners in the podium instead replacing it with a square cube, making the base as dull as it could possibly be and the building overall bottom-heavy. The purpose of the tapering-in base was to make the building look like an upward-turned and elongated diamond. The child with the bright future that I met in September 2009 has grown up to be a violently abused drug addict on the streets. For five years I defended this building from people who disliked it and thought the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt. Although I'm not in favor of the Twin Towers 2 idea, I absolutely hate this building now. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's time to stop playing apologist for the Port Authority. I did that after the restaurant and glass prisms, but no more.
I also agree with you. I too have lost interest and have not posted since summer of last year, it's too bad that 1WTC is not being built like it was planned.

·
Sheet Metal Sketcher
2,732 Posts

Man, get a life. It's pathetic to see people getting this worked up over something so inconsequential.

40001 - 40020 of 58288 Posts