SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
How fast can they go?

Hi:

Just visited the site today. One thing that strikes me is I don't know if they will ever be able to go very fast on this project. They have just one crane?

Anyone know why? I walked by the 58th street side and was surprised that there was no crane there. I would think they would want two cranes. With one, won't it be much slower?

I was also surprised by all the lumber on the site. I guess for building the molds for all the concrete they need that but I would also think that would really slow things down. And truthfully, this isn't going very fast. Seems like I walked by a month ago and that they've only added about 1 floor since then.

It also looks like the main entrance might be on 58th Street, not 57th. That would be surprising given what a minor street 58th is but it did look like it had a big, beam free, lobby on the 58th St side whereas it doesn't look like that on the 57th St. side.

Finally, anyone know of any good observation places for this construction, preferably someplace a few stories up? From street level it is hard to see what is going on at the whole site.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Looks like they will have to jump the crane soon - no?

Also, the amount of work they have to do with wood is amazing. If they have to do that for each floor to pour concrete won't this thing be very slow? Also, why can't they use steel sections bolted together for most of it rather than wood?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I wonder if they have to pay for air rights to the other building. They are using their space. And having that hanging right over a glass atrium on the other building can't be making the people there very comfortable.

It truly is amazing to see how they squeeze all the construction activities into such a small space. Very different from the WTC where they have much more space, at least compared to this site.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"They already have the air rights. "

Obviously they have them for their own lot (which they probably had to pay for by buying them from lower buildings) but I wonder how it works when they have temporary construction platforms sitting over other peoples lots. I would assume they must have to pay for that too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"With the construction plot, they bough the air rights ABOVE the shorter next door building.."

I am not sure how you are interpreting this and given the ambigous sentence this may be misunderstood. When you buy air rights in NY you aren't buying the rights to build physically over another building.

What buying air rights means is that in a area the zoning law may say you can only build up to 500 feet in height (this is simply an example). You want to build up to 750 feet, but that is more than the zoning allows. The way around this is if a neighboring building is only 250 feet, ie not as high as the zoning allows, they can in some cases sell their unused 250 feet to you and you can add it to your own 500 foot limit to get to 750 feet. The idea behind this is that buildings will AVERAGE the zoned limit with some being taller and some shorter.

However, that purchasing of other building's air rights only allows you to build your building taller. It doesn't give you the right to physically build over their plot of land. Nor would it allow you to use the air over their plot of land during construction. That is why I imagine they must have paid extra for this.

That is my understanding of how this works based on following this concept of air rights in the local media here in NY. If someone can show actual law that explains it differently then I'll stand corrected but for now that is my understanding.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I don't think the above renders are completely accurate as to scale. The buildings behind it are in the 800 foot an change range so if this is 200 feet more it wouldn't be towering over them that much. Yes, it is closer to the park but only by the width of 57th Street so I would say the rendering is an exageration by the developer or whoever made it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"Moreover, the overwhelming majority of apartments in NYC are rent-regulated with caps imposed by the government. "

This is bit misleading. There aren't "caps" in terms of limiting how high rents can go. What is regulated is how much, percentage wise, they can be increased each year. Those increases have been consistently higher than inflation, so the cost of rents here in NYC has been going up. Moreover, when a new tenant comes to an apartment the landlord can increase the rent by a fairly large amount - 10 to 15% I think. Given that there is significant turnover many/most apartments rent at market rates which in NYC is quite high. Rent control, what did cap rents, is only for units that have been continuously occupied since 1972 or before which is almost none at this point.

Finally, all "luxury" rentals, anything above $2,500 per month have no regulations or controls at all.

Indeed many people do go all the way to Pennsylvannia to live and commute to New York. The Poconos area is particularly popular although I also know people who commute from Philadelphia.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Dino, thanks for posting the pictures.

I am not sure that the company will have any results from this soon. When I got there, around 11 am, they were wrapping up and the security guard told me that they had to stop because the wind was creating big problems and not letting them get the pictures they wanted.

Sooooooooo, maybe they'll be back another day.

If you go to their web site you get some sense of some of the ingenious things that they do.

BTW, we have some interesting lurkers here. When I was watching them they noticed me and one of their workers finally came over to ask who I was - he asked if I was from the media. I told him no, that I am just a regular person and take pictures that get posted on Skyscrapercity.com. He then got all excited and said he was a huge fan of this site!!.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
wow, I just realized something. The taller part of this building in the 58th Street side, not the 57th street side. Because the crane is on 57th street and it is most prominent from 57th street I assumed that was the main part of the building - but apparently that is wrong. Is my new understanding correct?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Not sure what your point is. That rent regulations still technically apply to most apartments in NYC? No kidding.

But rents have increased so much through turnover and rent increases exceeding inflation that, as I said, many/most are now renting at market rates. Mine is, which is why they don't even bother increasing it as much as the rent regulations technically allow.

You can actually see this by looking at the last sentence - an increase of 7.2% is way more than inflation and is also more than rent regulations allow in continiously occupied units. That number obviously results from turnover of tenants and apartments that are decontrolled due to them being "luxury rentals". Increases at those rates that are way above inflation is precisely what has led to many/most units being at market rates.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Thanks for that diagram. It is really cool. And it does show how tall this building is.

If you go by roof height it will be in a couple of years 1) WTC1 2) ESB 3) Carnegie

In fact, if you throw in the rest of the WTC buildings 4 out of the 5 tallest buildings in NYC are now under construction!!! Clearly this will have a noticable impact on the skyline.

One thing about your diagram though. While you get the height correct I don't think you have the other dimensions correct. You make the Carnegie Tower look bulkier than the ESB and that is obviously not the case. Maybe there is some way to fix that.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
delay

Is there something that indicates a construction delay?
Each time I've gone down there for the past 3 or 4 weeks it seems, at least from the 57th Street side, to be about the same height. So their is at least a perceived delay, if not a real one.

The elevator work on the 58th street side that I saw this week looked new though.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Thanks for posting Dino. Not sure I see the brackets you are referring to.

However, in the last two pics which are from the 58th Street side you can see the wind screen as it relates to the concrete blocks of the adjascent building. The top of the windscreen is at the bottom of the second block. I will carefully photograph this each week and we will then see if there is movement. Hopefully there will be.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yup, took some pictures today and they did definitely raise the screens one floor. You can see it from the 58th street side where you can measure it against some markings on the adjascent building.

Definitely good news.

Wonder when the cladding starts. Looks like they have the duct work done on the lower floors but I don't see any fasteners for the cladding

1 - 20 of 217 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.