SkyscraperCity banner

381 - 400 of 415 Posts

·
16,409 Posts
I think MSG will be left alone for quite some time with Vornado upgrading Penn Plaza. If the state were to take over the land, it would have to be for realm improvements and a megatall doesn't fit that bill. Vornado's lipstick on a pig will satisfy NYers and the Pols for the time being but eventually Penn Station will need to be further future proofed and MSG will need to be involved. In the meantime, we might be able to look towards PABT for a megatall. Vornado also plans 2 supertalls, so there's that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
A supertall right above the train tracks is also highly unlikely. The Hudson Yards towers were built largely on terra firma alongside the tracks. 2 Penn Plaza is where any super (or mega) tall would have to be built.

The most pragmatic improvement to the train shed seems to be to just demolish the theater that sits below MSG without destroying the arena itself.

And remove the LIRR/Amtrak dual layer.

That alone will allow in plenty of light and air and removes the sense of being stuck in a rat hole.

Main downside is that it does not allow reconfiguring the tracks, so the narrow, crowded platforms remain.

This would make for a fine station. There have been a number of such proposals over the years.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
There is a massive push to force MSG to move but its owners are extremely stubborn. They just put over $1 Billion into renovating it in 2011-2013 so they are even more determined to stay to get their money's-worth out of that, not to mention the massive wealth of both city and suburban transit right underneath of them.

There is also a 29 story office tower, which although squat and rather useless compared with the massive new towers that are going up and rather outdated, it contains a whopping 1,619,000 square feet of office space, about the same as the Citigroup Center or slightly less than the Manhattan West tower on the other side of the Farley Post Office! A good proposal for something to replace Penn Station would ideally have its main entrance on the East side where that office building sits so they would have to cut through it as some proposals show or to completely remove it as the ideal reconstruction would do.

Lastly, there is the issue of logistics to even consider a massive rebuilding project. Penn Station was designed to handle 200,000 passengers a day when railroad ridership was plummeting. Today it handles about 600,000 to 650,000 riders, a number that is rapidly growing as secondary centers on Long Island and in New Jersey continue to grow rapidly around train stations. Any rebuilding project would mean cut off corridors and limited access when it is already under Crush Conditions for most of Rush Hour. Moynihan Station in the Farley Post Office, if anything, will provide capacity relief until a larger permanent solution is found for the main block of the station. Same with these rather temporary "Lipstick on a Pig" fixes. Once they are done, the new wide entrances and alternate routes will allow for some of the 1963 station to be closed for major construction work. Hopefully by then, the city and state and various business and development organizations (Municipal Art Society, Regional Plan Association, etc) will get serious about forcing MSG to move when their 10 year lease renewal expires around 2023.
2023 is a key year.

2023 is when East Side Access to Grand Central opens up which will take with it 160,000 LIRR commuters who use Penn Station.

2023 is also when MSG's current lease ends.

And by 2023, Moniyahan Station will be up and running.

So with a decrease in passengers using Penn Station, it will be an optimal time to totally redevelop Penn Station.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Too much focus of the Moynihan Train Hall has been on office space .. they should have set aside at least a few floors for a NY Public Library branch or something similar.
Maybe that could be done some day, when it's realized that Manhattan has more new office space than could ever be filled.

·
City Development Shitlord
1,551 Posts
The President should consider the needs of the Nation not the needs of his fragile ego.
IDK, we as a nation need a wall as part of remaining a nation as we know it, and I wouldn't trust Cuomo with a nickel. Case in point, LaGuardia.

Lastly, it makes no sense to tear down a building just to put back something that was razed 1/2 a century ago when there is a perfect solution right across the street.
Absolutely nobody sensical is proposing to reconstruct Penn Station EXACTLY as it was originally, rather reconstruct the main architectural features while the infrastructure aspect to accommodate trains will be twenty-first century.

Too much focus of the Moynihan Train Hall has been on office space .. they should have set aside at least a few floors for a NY Public Library branch or something similar.
If I wanted to go to a library, I'd take the train to Bryant Park in the first place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IDK, we as a nation need a wall as part of remaining a nation as we know it, and I wouldn't trust Cuomo with a nickel. Case in point, LaGuardia.

Absolutely nobody sensical is proposing to reconstruct Penn Station EXACTLY as it was originally, rather reconstruct the main architectural features while the infrastructure aspect to accommodate trains will be twenty-first century.

If I wanted to go to a library, I'd take the train to Bryant Park in the first place.
NYC is a city of 8.5 million -- it can use more than one decent public library, especially since the one at Bryant Park doesn't even have any modern facilities.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I never said there was an expectation to put it back "EXACTLY" as it was. I said it makes no sense to build it at all. Especially since there is already a building there that is in constant use, and there is an available building across the street.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Madison Square Garden is an extremely outdated arena. Its sad that a global city like New York operates such an old dinosaur of an arena.

Its time to demolish MSG, build a new arena somewhere else and re-build Penn Station like it was before.

·
Registered
979 Posts
This is the fourth MSG, hence the name. Next stop Sunnyside, Queens.

381 - 400 of 415 Posts