SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to New York for a few days this week, from the UK. Fantastic experience, and had truly fantastic weather. New York was everything I hoped it would be, I'm so glad I got the chance to go. :cheers:

Here's some pics I took while I was there, quite like the flat iron building as you can prob guess :)

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was great mate... loved it. And immigration was a breeze - through Dublin tfft. There's a flatiron building in Leeds. It was my fave building when I lived there... walked past it every day :)

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ i didn't - i only had time for midtown... i took the subway in from jfk, but decided on a cab back as I wanted to see what Queens was like. Maybe next time I'll get to the south of Manhattan and over the bridge... but only had one full day and 2 half days on this trip...

·
Banned
3,098 Posts
Went over to New York for a few days this week, from the UK. Fantastic experience, and had truly fantastic weather. New York was everything I hoped it would be, I'm so glad I got the chance to go. :cheers:
Thanks Bammy, great pics. One request; please don't, after one visit, become an expert on all things US.:wink2:

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, ok ET... I don't think Midtown Manhattan - where I was, is probably a true representation of the US anyway.

·
Banned
3,098 Posts
lol, ok ET... I don't think Midtown Manhattan - where I was, is probably a true representation of the US anyway.
Thanks. How did you find our "Immigration and Border Control" officers at JFK? Did you go on the "Visa waiver" program or pre-apply at the London embassy?

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did an ESTA form online.

As I went via Dublin I checked through the border there, rather than at JFK. I didn't realise this at the time though. 2 simple questions from the border guy at Dublin to do with my work, scanned my prints and face, and he stamped me in, no problem at all. I was obviously checked over on my baggage and frisked which I have no problem with at all.

I arrived at JFK and I just handed in my card that declared I hadn't been handling cows and sheep - and that was it. They didn't even ask me for my passport.

I walked through into the arrivals lounge and wondered how I had got there without a severe check/silly questions/rudeness etc..... so I went back in and asked them where the immigration control was. They told me that the border control is in Dublin for my flight, and they don't need to do it on the JFK side.

Fantastic, I couldn't have been happier.

I caveat my story with the observation that I had seen some people had been held up 'further investigation' just before boarding, and not looking too happy. I don't know how these people were 'chosen' but I was just glad I wasn't one of them. So maybe I was fortunate.

If I had grief at immigration I wouldn't have been at all happy, I was on business and only there for a very short period of time... I can say that I will definitely go back though, partly because the experience was very untroubled for me personally.

·
Banned
3,098 Posts
I did an ESTA form online.

As I went via Dublin I checked through the border there, rather than at JFK. I didn't realise this at the time though. 2 simple questions from the border guy at Dublin to do with my work, scanned my prints and face, and he stamped me in, no problem at all. I was obviously checked over on my baggage and frisked which I have no problem with at all.

I arrived at JFK and I just handed in my card that declared I hadn't been handling cows and sheep - and that was it. They didn't even ask me for my passport.

I walked through into the arrivals lounge and wondered how I had got there without a severe check/silly questions/rudeness etc..... so I went back in and asked them where the immigration control was. They told me that the border control is in Dublin for my flight, and they don't need to do it on the JFK side.

Fantastic, I couldn't have been happier.

I caveat my story with the observation that I had seen some people had been held up 'further investigation' just before boarding, and not looking too happy. I don't know how these people were 'chosen' but I was just glad I wasn't one of them. So maybe I was fortunate.

If I had grief at immigration I wouldn't have been at all happy, I was on business and only there for a very short period of time... I can say that I will definitely go back though, partly because the experience was very untroubled for me personally.
Yeah, pre-clearance is offered at a number of Caribbean airports, and at all major Mexican and Canadian airports. When you arrive in the US you are then classed as a domestic passenger. Makes for a lot easier arrival. The airlines foot the bill for this facility. Makes you wonder why it is not done in every transatlantic airport.

They key to a trouble free transit through immigration is to be honest. Declare all transgressions no matter how minor. I was travelling with a colleague from Canada and entered the US at the Windsor-Detroit border. My colleague had entered the US on quite a number of occasions and had always been waved through. This time he was asked what the criminal conviction was for, he denied ever having a criminal record. He was given the opportunity to correct his statement and when he still denied having any criminal record he was refused admittance. It transpired that he had been convicted of DUI when he was 19. He was now 45. He didn't know he had to declare this conviction and didnt even know it was a criminaal offence. He has since applied for a pardon from the Canadian government. This will, apparently, expunge all record of the conviction from the "public" record.

PS: Come more often and you can apply for a NEXUS card.:)

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a question of being honest for the majority of people. Having had a long flight, and then told to wait in a queue for two hours can be erm... stressful. My family have had to endure it a few times and one can't help but feel that the piss is being taken. Anyway, it didn't happen to me so god bless America! :)

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
In this one my office is on the same block as the buildings right behind the traffic lights and further to the right, it would be the next set of tallish buildings (20 storeys ~)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts