Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what NATIVE New Yorkers, not those who chose to live there, think of Chicago.

NYC and Chicago are easily the most urban, culturally diverse points on the US map.

Growing up in Chicago, people tend to think a trip to New York is a must-see.

Do New Yorkers grow up thinking they should check out Chicago?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I love Chicago. I'm a native NYer and I'll probably be moving to Chicago when I'm done with school because I like it so much. And I don't really want to stay in one city my whole life.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been wanting to check out Chi-town...so yeah I guess it seems cool. For some reason, I've always had the perception that Chicago has the chillest jazz clubs and stuff, so yeah most def. a must see.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
The closest I have been to Chicago was transferring flights at O'Hare Airport, but I have never been to the city itself.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I feel that NYC and Chicago have similarities, both have different character. I would live in Chicago. I could feel very well at home in Chicago. Also, Chicago's Pan Pizza, why not.

G

·
I am 90 miles south of Midtown Manhattan (less than 1½ hr. drive) and I love NY.

One of these days, I hope to plan a trip to Chicago with my camcorder and camera and experience a way cool city! :eek:kay:

My question is what do Chicagoans think of NY

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
fish said:
I am 90 miles south of Midtown Manhattan (less than 1½ hr. drive) and I love NY.

One of these days, I hope to plan a trip to Chicago with my camcorder and camera and experience a way cool city! :eek:kay:

My question is what do Chicagoans think of NY
I <3 NY. It's probably my favorite city right there with Chicago and I love to visit whenever I can. I love cruising through Brooklyn. The density, grit, transit, skyline!! NY pretty much perfects urbanity, and it's a city I think Chicago can learn a lot from. New York never ceases to amaze me, and I've been countless times.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Nice to hear such observations about Chicago from New Yorkers. We probably never would have been the great city that we are if it hadn't been for your city. So much of chicago's history is tied to New York's building the Erie Canal. Chicago became the western terminus for the trade route throught the Great Lakes, the canal, the Mowhawk, the Hudson, and into NYC. That link was further stengthened by the encouragement of rail lines between our two cities. Chicago was the western "city of choice" for New York....which clearly helped the rise of our town.

is it too late in history to say "thanks"?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
UrbanSophist said:
What exactly defines NY style pizza? Does have it have to be brick oven baked?
I'm sure that both styles are cooked in similar fashion. ;)
NY Style = Thinner Pizza, Flat style
Chicago Style = Thicker Pizza, Pie style

·
Registered
583 Posts
edsg25 said:
Nice to hear such observations about Chicago from New Yorkers. We probably never would have been the great city that we are if it hadn't been for your city. So much of chicago's history is tied to New York's building the Erie Canal. Chicago became the western terminus for the trade route throught the Great Lakes, the canal, the Mowhawk, the Hudson, and into NYC. That link was further stengthened by the encouragement of rail lines between our two cities. Chicago was the western "city of choice" for New York....which clearly helped the rise of our town.

is it too late in history to say "thanks"?
and the competition in growth between the two cities was I think very healthy in that it sparked innovation and thus, what we have standing tall and vibrant in both places today. Never visited chicago but its on my list of places to visit along with san fran.

But we still kill u guys when it comes to pizza :tongue2:

·
Registered
583 Posts
oh yea, and the travel channel did do a special on which pizza is better. They had 10 NY firefighters in a room trying the best of chicago's pizza while 10 chicago fire fighters where in another room trying the best of NY's pizza from lambardi's on fulton st. in lower manhattan. All FDNY guys voted for NY pizza. 8 chicago fire fighters voted for chicago and 2 crossed over. That was just a segmant to play with the question.

But they did do a professional taste test (whatever that's supposed to mean, lol) and NY did win that hands down

·
Registered
157 Posts
NY Style pizza all day! But for real, I gotta go to Chi Town for some of their pizza (curiosity)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts