SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Glitter & Grease
2,052 Posts
As far as we know, yes, but there are already multiple fourms on this. it might save you a little time next time to go through the next page of threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?, so are they getting ready put the new one on? Looks strange without channel Seven!!, noooooooooooooooo, no more Mel & Kochie domination, hahahaha!!!:lol:

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
That corner has become soooo dreary. It used to be ablaze with signage with much more than say an Optus billboard and Seven ticker. But then Fed Sq didn't exist diagonally opposite which (along with the exisiting station building) has advanced that intersection a gazillion light years into the futcha.

Lets's hope the new addition bedazzles us.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
If it wasn't 'Young and Jackson's Hotel' I 'd be quite happy for oversupply of neon etc for that location but the fact it's a pretty historic place and been restored, signs seem out of place to me. Wodaureckon? ( Warning...Smoking is a Health Hazard )

·
Developer
7,646 Posts
The building itself is not that special, the building has value because of it's prominence and use as a hotel rather than any outstanding architectural qualities.

It could be argued that signage on the building is part of it's heritage value and that the removal of all signage form the building would harm it's heritage value.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The building itself is not that special, the building has value because of it's prominence and use as a hotel rather than any outstanding architectural qualities.

It could be argued that signage on the building is part of it's heritage value and that the removal of all signage form the building would harm it's heritage value.
Exactly. That intersection has a great buzz because of the neon.

I believe the Young&Jacksons should be a designated neon spot-- along with the intersection of Swanston/Bourke and Swanston/La Trobe.

·
Overwatch Nexus
1,858 Posts
Was that dark paint the original color of the hotel?

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I agree Young and Jacksons is not an architectural gem but it still looks pretty close to this 1900 pic. so when I said historic I was more referring to it's long standing significance in such a major location.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
So does Young and Jacksons hotel have any heritage protection?
Just say a developer purchased it and decided to demolish it, would they be allowed to do that?

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I have no idea about the facts on that but know all hell would break loose if anyone tried to demolish Y & J's.....would make the St. Kilda Triangle and Camberwell Station Protests look like zip ! Not just an issue for locals here.....think most Melbournians would want it to stay. It is some comfort to have this intersection with Flinders St Stn, St. Pauls Cathedral and Young and Jacksons Hotel as a continuing familiar reference point in our ever changing city. IMO

·
Registered
280 Posts
young and jackson almost looks like an architectural gem next to some of those ugly buildings further down the street(on the left hand side). there are some truly horrible and ugly buildings down there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts