SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another Shaq involved development project, recently announced at the topping out of "1 Rector"

Shaq is opening a $79M apartment tower in N.J.

[...]
O'Neal also announced a new $150 million, 350-unit apartment complex with Boraie (whom he called "the Kobe Bryant of development"). The 35-story building on 777 McCarter Highway will be known as the "House that Shaq Built," O'Neal said.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
Awesome! That is the site between Gateway and Edison's Ironside office conversion. It has had a render of an office tower with a huge parking podium for years. 35 floors would be about the height of One Gateway.

·
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Newark Planning Board OKs Plans for Second 'Shaq Tower'

Shaquille O'Neal’s second residential tower passed another milestone yesterday when the city planning board approved site plans for the project.

The 33-story building with 370 studio, one and two-bedroom units will be located steps away from Newark Penn Station at 769-781 McCarter Highway. About 75 affordable units will be sought for the project
[...]

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
Yes!!!! It's about time that this tower starts. They should be well positioned with the completion date with the post-COVID-19 recovery.

2 actual Piling drilling machines as of a week ago. Those are far larger than the test piling machines.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/j158ga

·
Registered
37 Posts
anyone know how many floors? I've seen 32, 33, 35?
Its going to be 32 stories tall based on an article the city released back in the summer announcing that the project was breaking ground soon. Its going to be 370 apartments where only 74 apartments being designated affordable. At 32 stories tall, the building will be 425 feet tall and the 3rd tallest building in the city. The project is receiving a 30 year tax abatement. There is no fear that this project will be reduced as the project was already financed after the first tower was fully leased, so there is enough confidence from investors that the project will be successful.

If this project leases up quickly, which I think it will since it is right next door to Penn Station, it will push stalled projects over the line like the Vibe and will get us taller buildings in the next few years.

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
looks like construction eqpt has vanished...hate to say but wouldn't be surprised if this lot looks just like this years from now

·
Registered
37 Posts
looks like construction eqpt has vanished...hate to say but wouldn't be surprised if this lot looks just like this years from now
What makes you say that? The development group still has the project listed, the city has given them tax abatements (which im sure comes with a clause to do the construction or give back the abatement), their other project in the city has been relatively successful...

If anything, it could either be a covid related stoppage or just waiting to start the second phase of the project. I think we need to wait this out a bit longer before we start thinking negatively here... I don't think they would of done all that activity just to not go forward with the project.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would guess the first batch of equipment was digging deep holes to investigate the foundation needs. Its possible theyre still working on engineering based on those findings.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts