SkyscraperCity banner

1441 - 1460 of 1524 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Over the weekend 3 people from Elizabeth, two men and one woman, were arrested under the Rt.21 overpass on Chester Ave near Riverside Ave for graffitiing the walls. Good I say, it's a quality of life issue. Yet in the comments section of the article from RSL Media, it got a mixed reaction. Some were happy and some said that the police have better things to do besides this penny ante stuff. Not only is it vandalism but it brings property values down, affects outsiders in thinking that their is lawlessness and disorder and that the residents don't even care about how their city looks. You can be poor, but it doesn't mean that you have to live in squalor. That's why I encourage people to use the Newark Connect app to report issues like potholes to street lights out, and other stuff. I have used it and have gotten results. You can track your complaint, they tell you who it was assigned to, updates, and the end result. I have noticed a tremendous rise in graffiti all over. The answer is to remove it asap, once the taggers see it being removed all the time it will stop. The object of graffiti is to see your tag every where, when it starts to disappear fast they will find someplace else. It can be controlled. Anyway they all were arrested and car towed, and had six cans of spray paint on them.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
They need to expand the Mural Arts program to those commonly tagged areas.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
I hope that this is the real thing for the 777 McCarter Hwy building. Progress and development.
777 McCarter (Shaq Tower 2) appears to be seeing even more progress. A large stack of steel also appeared 8 days ago and some piling (final test piling?) is underway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/ja30j8
Also 254 Orange Street, somewhat close to NJIT, is well underway with the steel base and core rising. 5 floors, 105 units and 4250 SF of ground floor retail. It's part of the Gomes Group's "Silicon Alley" development that has already built 3 decent apartment buildings with ground floor retail and the Marion P Thomas Charter School.
City of Newark Selling Properties to Make Way for Apartments, Dog Park | Jersey Digs
https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/j71ous

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
The Beth-Isreal Hospital just started a $100 Million renovation. Most of the changes are on the interior but the emergency room will grow by 4000 square feet and the lobby will expand into a large glass entryway. There will also be some facade renovations.
Newark Beth Israel Breaks Ground on $100M Project to Renovate, Expand Facilities

This section with the columns over the cover drive-up will see the most visible changes. From this:

To this, which looks far better and less like a forbidden fortress:

Newark Beth Israel to host groundbreaking for $100M renovation project | ROI-NJ

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's good about Beth Israel, Orange St. and Shaq 2, which will probably be scaled down to a stub of 19 stories. I was looking over the new Jersey Digs and every single project is in Jersey City. I don't think that the city is too receptive of certain developments, Newark will remain a city of Section 8 and low income housing, which isn't good at all. And with the recent arrest of Councilman McCallum by the FBI, selling his influence. And I really think that it's wrong what Councilwoman Macgyver said about not wanting people moving to Newark "who don't look like her", if a white person who's a member of a municipal council in any city or town said something like that there would be protests and people calling for his/her resignation. Also, I have noticed many street lights out all over the place, you can call PSEG yourself's with the location and the pole number and they will respond to fix it in a few days. 18008322221 is the phone number.

·
Registered
46 Posts
J Del...you say Shaq 2 will "probably" be scaled down...any info on this or your opinion? Given that Theater Square was first going be 44 floors and later cut in half to 22 stories, I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
342 Posts
No, just my opinion. Like I said before, Newark is a cat of a different breed, an anomaly, aberration, outside of the norm, so to speak. Things just work differently in this city, it's been the status quo for a very long time, before the Addonizio administration. Now Newark is trying to re-write history by removing statues of Colombus from Washington Park and another one that was owned by the publishers of the Italian Tribune newspaper but sat on city property, one of those "vestpocket" parks at Bloomfield Ave near N.8th St. near St.Frances Church. Now the Washington Park empty pedestal will be a statue of Harriet Tubman, alright, but renaming Washington Park to Harriet Tubman Park doesn't really make much sense. And the Newark Fire Department continues to use some apparatus dating back to 1995, and in pretty active areas of town too. And there is nothing in the budget for any new fire apparatus either. Cities usually scrap apparatus that old, or put them in the spare fleet pool. Jersey City, Elizabeth, and Paterson all using up to date vehicles while Newark has to use 25 year old engines and ladder trucks. Engine 11 and Engine 18 are both '95 models, and the majority of the rest of the fleet are '97 and '98 models. It really is sad. Does a catastrophic event have to happen because of failure of a pump or ladder not functioning. Now the Director of the Department of Recreation and Cultural Affairs Patrick Council's comment about the North Ward is causing a little friction in city hall and in the NorthWard, I think he should resign.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, just my opinion. Like I said before, Newark is a cat of a different breed, an anomaly, aberration, outside of the norm, so to speak. Things just work differently in this city, it's been the status quo for a very long time, before the Addonizio administration. Now Newark is trying to re-write history by removing statues of Colombus from Washington Park and another one that was owned by the publishers of the Italian Tribune newspaper but sat on city property, one of those "vestpocket" parks at Bloomfield Ave near N.8th St. near St.Frances Church. Now the Washington Park empty pedestal will be a statue of Harriet Tubman, alright, but renaming Washington Park to Harriet Tubman Park doesn't really make much sense. And the Newark Fire Department continues to use some apparatus dating back to 1995, and in pretty active areas of town too. And there is nothing in the budget for any new fire apparatus either. Cities usually scrap apparatus that old, or put them in the spare fleet pool. Jersey City, Elizabeth, and Paterson all using up to date vehicles while Newark has to use 25 year old engines and ladder trucks. Engine 11 and Engine 18 are both '95 models, and the majority of the rest of the fleet are '97 and '98 models. It really is sad. Does a catastrophic event have to happen because of failure of a pump or ladder not functioning. Now the Director of the Department of Recreation and Cultural Affairs Patrick Council's comment about the North Ward is causing a little friction in city hall and in the NorthWard, I think he should resign.
It is really sad. The residents continue to enable incompetance in city hall as long as they have cheap rent. These token developments are nothing compared to Jersey City. And its a stuggle to get even that. I keep teeling people that if you want nice things and a good neighbothood u cant have cheao rent for everyone that wants cheap rent. Economics do not work like that. But the Newarkakers are stuck on Social Justice, think that can change math and reason. Plus the SJ is a distraction for all the crime and poverty, NEWARK REFUSES TO LOOK INWARD, EVERYTHING IS SOME ELSES FAULT AND WAITING FOR SOMEHAND OUT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over the weekend 3 people from Elizabeth, two men and one woman, were arrested under the Rt.21 overpass on Chester Ave near Riverside Ave for graffitiing the walls. Good I say, it's a quality of life issue. Yet in the comments section of the article from RSL Media, it got a mixed reaction. Some were happy and some said that the police have better things to do besides this penny ante stuff. Not only is it vandalism but it brings property values down, affects outsiders in thinking that their is lawlessness and disorder and that the residents don't even care about how their city looks. You can be poor, but it doesn't mean that you have to live in squalor. That's why I encourage people to use the Newark Connect app to report issues like potholes to street lights out, and other stuff. I have used it and have gotten results. You can track your complaint, they tell you who it was assigned to, updates, and the end result. I have noticed a tremendous rise in graffiti all over. The answer is to remove it asap, once the taggers see it being removed all the time it will stop. The object of graffiti is to see your tag every where, when it starts to disappear fast they will find someplace else. It can be controlled. Anyway they all were arrested and car towed, and had six cans of spray paint on them.
the comments on RLS, are pittyful frankly. EVERYTHING is Pray, Pray, Pray no action.. noone is looking at their police administration..Noone is putting pressure on the local government. its all pray,"stop killing each" nonsense... and u see the same comments years ago. its a shame in these inner liberal cities

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's good about Beth Israel, Orange St. and Shaq 2, which will probably be scaled down to a stub of 19 stories. I was looking over the new Jersey Digs and every single project is in Jersey City. I don't think that the city is too receptive of certain developments, Newark will remain a city of Section 8 and low income housing, which isn't good at all. And with the recent arrest of Councilman McCallum by the FBI, selling his influence. And I really think that it's wrong what Councilwoman Macgyver said about not wanting people moving to Newark "who don't look like her", if a white person who's a member of a municipal council in any city or town said something like that there would be protests and people calling for his/her resignation. Also, I have noticed many street lights out all over the place, you can call PSEG yourself's with the location and the pole number and they will respond to fix it in a few days. 18008322221 is the phone number.
Jesus, is there ever a time you are remotely positive about this city. Every post from you is talking about how Newark will never improve, even when all objective criteria proves otherwise. Have you ever thought about how you are negativity/bad word of mouth contributed to what happened to Newark in the past?

Either way, objectively the city has been improving by leaps and bounds contrary to what you like to say on this forum. Year to Year, Newark's crime is down 7%, property values are on the rise, and every major housing project in the city has been leasing up very well. In fact, it was only a few months after the first Shaq building was finished before the new one was fully financed and it will be the full 35 stores (425 feet tall). Im going to laugh so hard when the project turns out to be that big and fully leased and you are still spinning it negatively.

In the last two decades the city's portion of market rate apartments have increased substantially, and rent in the city has risen to an average of $1,700. While the comments you pointed to on RSL is concerning, the good thing is that the internet is only a small portion of people and there are definitely more people out there trying to make change in the city through there actions, but you would never spotlight them because it doesnt fit your narrative of "the city is an abnormality" (even though there was a news article that talked about how Newark has been working through the pandemic to make sure development continues), just like there are more people out there, investors included, who are super excited by Newark... but whatever, you will only look at the negative, even if Newark is more complicated than what you claim/ objectively is actually doing everything you claim it needs to do.

Lastly, this constant comparing Newark to JC is a bit annoying. JC has been actively rebuilding its city since the 80s. Newark only realistically started making strides when Booker won office and James left.. so basically the mid 2000s. To act like the city should be at the same level as JC when Newark is objectively in the mid 90s (when using JC's timeline) is a bit crazy, dont you think. If in another 15 years Newark is still lagging behind where JC was in the mid 200s, than we have an issue... but until then we all should just be patient and keep doing our part.

P.S. to us the NJPac tower as an example of what is going to happen to Shaq 2 really doesnt make sense either... NJ Pac was proposed when Newark didnt have much going on. Its only major luxury market rate apartment in offer at the time was 1180, which was not even remotely leased out. Since then, the developers have had many different projects to look at that have been successful downtown... Walker House (fully leased), Shaq 1( fully leased), NJ Pac tower ( pretty leased up), Hahnes (which is also fully leased), and the litany of other projects in the ironbound that are leasing up like crazy. There is a reason we have a project under construction right now that is expected to bring in 350 new housing along side another project looking to bring in 250 new housing units (the Washington Street project) along side the many new infill projects on clinton street/market street. The market is substantially different now than it was back when NJ Pac first proposed their apartment building, and cannot be used as an example for any new project going on in the city right now and if you cannot see the difference than the only party here who actually believes or wants the city to be the status quo is you as you seem to be obsessed by what the city used to be and not what it actually is right now.

PSS, the comment about the North Ward was actually addressed already and had nothing to do with being anti-north ward. The director was handling something more pressing than Mars forgetting to put the North Ward in their community outreach.

PSSS, taking down a statute does not rewrite history. No one is taking Columbus out of the history books and much of the backlash against him is from historical records written by people from that time period... to say otherwise is actually rewriting history.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ArmyGroupEast, I couldn't have said it any better myself, you understand what the problem is. A city can't survive with a population of poverty stricken people. You need a mix and Newark doesn't want that, it wants to stay as is, a decaying city of blight for the most part. Jaynor doesn't like my opinions and my pessimistic attitude. Take a look around downtown and tell me what you see. There is a modicum of development and other than that you got hair and nail joints, fried chicken, dollar stores and little else. Military Park is falling into decline after all the money that they spent on it, sidewalk vendors selling their trinkets with boom boxes blasting, hustling going on at Broad and Market, etc.. and the city wants it to stay this way! The inclusionary ordinance is anti-development and the developers are aware of this administration's agenda towards bringing in residents "who don't look like them" as Councilwoman McGyver (sp?) put it. Every city has a nice section and a bad section, so to speak, usually a small bad section and the rest of the city is nice. With Newark it's the other way round. Small good section, and very large bad area. Look how the once suburban like Vailsburg has been ravaged. Yes there has been some development but not nearly enough. Jersey City is running circles around Newark. Baraka isn't receptive to "outsiders " moving to Newark. Newark will remain a haven for the poor, and disenfranchised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ArmyGroupEast, I couldn't have said it any better myself, you understand what the problem is. A city can't survive with a population of poverty stricken people. You need a mix and Newark doesn't want that, it wants to stay as is, a decaying city of blight for the most part. Jaynor doesn't like my opinions and my pessimistic attitude. Take a look around downtown and tell me what you see. There is a modicum of development and other than that you got hair and nail joints, fried chicken, dollar stores and little else. Military Park is falling into decline after all the money that they spent on it, sidewalk vendors selling their trinkets with boom boxes blasting, hustling going on at Broad and Market, etc.. and the city wants it to stay this way! The inclusionary ordinance is anti-development and the developers are aware of this administration's agenda towards bringing in residents "who don't look like them" as Councilwoman McGyver (sp?) put it. Every city has a nice section and a bad section, so to speak, usually a small bad section and the rest of the city is nice. With Newark it's the other way round. Small good section, and very large bad area. Look how the once suburban like Vailsburg has been ravaged. Yes there has been some development but not nearly enough. Jersey City is running circles around Newark. Baraka isn't receptive to "outsiders " moving to Newark. Newark will remain a haven for the poor, and disenfranchised.
you know there is a lawsuit pending in feds from several developers to Newark about the inclusionary stuff . i honestly hope they crack on the 20% ordinace , like they had to crack open the one in jersy city. First off mcivers is too young and naive to know what the heck shes talking about, shes a single mom too, so probably doesnt give crap about the men killing each other in streets EVERY OTHER DAY, NO PROTEST ON THAT SHIT. the same black women that have a shit load of degrees, that thinks they are better than every man they touch.....-but that another story. Her pro black is bullshit. shit most dem council member never had a non regula job, the mayor has never worked in the private field. He court barely give shti about them except the ability to generate taxes

·
Registered
10 Posts
i google this

they are sue not cause they wanna push out black ppl. THEY sue cause they snuck in union labor requirement for large projects . THIS IS CORRUPTION, they could have helped a newark resident without that resident being in a labor union, this is a legal kickback to BIG LABOR,who probably sponsor thier campaigns..... telling the developers to eat shit and pay out unions wages when the city does not have the rents to support that labor cost ..even wrose city can grant a waiver at thier own discreation, which sets up for more corruption. Look at that fool Mcullum, guess the pay increase THEY ALL JUST GOT wasnt enough money . i wonder how many of these ppl really live in the city.Look at the schools closed too, how can the residents take that abuse and let thier gov do what the hell it wants,,,basically saying f-ck the kids and the residents, we run this shit ... god forbid white ppl move in... white ppl will vote all of them out. shit the hispanics would prob vote them out too

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look man, no one is saying you don't have valid critiques. The graffiti, potholes, fire engines, etc are all valid. The issue arises when you base your opinion on newark on subjectivity and not objectivity. Newark is not staying stagnant, regardless of what you claim... if it was the city would not be handing out tax abatements left and right and actively working with developers during the pandemic to make sure stuff breaks ground. That is a fact and all you have to do is a quick Google to see how many projects get approved (which shows the city is looking to bring in new residents and developments) and see how busy the zoning board has been over the last decade.

My biggest issue with you is that I have actually pointed to objective facts that show the city is improving and you counter with "but this is my opinion... this is what I see"... opinions are valid, but they don't hold much weight when property values have risen, the credit score of the city has risen, crime has gone down, businesses have moved in,etc. You can point all you want to one councilman, but the city is run by 9 not 1 and while the corruption in city hall pisses me off, its only one councilman and a director who no longer work there so it, so that is hardly enough evidence to say the city is run like that.

Moreover, if you can honestly go around Newark today and claim its not better than it was back in the early 2000s than I highly doubt you actually spend time here. Back in the early 2000s there weren't any market rate apartments, only like 3 bars downtown, and only fast food chicken shacks... now, while those nail salons and chicken shacks are still there, there are named brand stores downtown, a diversity of food options, more bars, etc.

You really don't have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to objective facts about the city because every major criteria shows the city is on the up swing.

Lastly, the complaint about street vendors... really... if that is an issue, than you must hate going to manhattan where some blocks have up to 10 street vendors on them... come on, thats just being nitpicky, all because you want Newark to look more like the suburbs than an actual city.

If i can admit that you have valid criticisms of the city, you can admit that the city has come a long way... but i highly doubt that... if Newark was seeing JC type developments (which come on... anyone who knows about urban development and the market knows you have to atleast build up the market in order to support 1k plus housing developments and cant just drop one in a city where no demand for those types of housing is at because it will fail) i bet you would still complain that Newark isnt seeing Manhattan type developments.

I'm just going to coke to terms that you will always be negative about Newark, and I will keep coming to these sites because they show where newark is going and provide much needed positive news about the city... when I want negative news about Newark and negative reactions I'll just go onto the old pics of Newark facebook page or read the comment section on the nj.com Facebook profile... good day ny dude and cheer up once in a while, life is too short for your negative ways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you know there is a lawsuit pending in feds from several developers to Newark about the inclusionary stuff . i honestly hope they crack on the 20% ordinace , like they had to crack open the one in jersy city. First off mcivers is too young and naive to know what the heck shes talking about, shes a single mom too, so probably doesnt give crap about the men killing each other in streets EVERY OTHER DAY, NO PROTEST ON THAT SHIT. the same black women that have a shit load of degrees, that thinks they are better than every man they touch.....-but that another story. Her pro black is bullshit. shit most dem council member never had a non regula job, the mayor has never worked in the private field. He court barely give shti about them except the ability to generate taxes
I love how people complain about affordable housing laws, but then complain when rent rises to 3K... you cant have the free market and than complain when you cant afford to live in the area, but i digress

·
Registered
342 Posts
ArmyGroupEast it sounds like you know what you're talking about and you understand my point of view. Jaynor, yes there has been little trickles of development here and there but the residents don't like it and they seem to like living in a Section 8, low income, public housing filled city of poverty. Take a good look around the intersection of Broad & Market and tell me what you see. It looks like 14 St in NYC in the early eighties. Its grimy, scary to most normal people, and downtrodden. You are making it out to be some urban success story, which it's certainly not. Army Group East knows what the big picture looks like. Newark wants to remain a ghetto centric city. They want more low income housing that they can ruin, just like the townhouses on Broadway and Steven Crane Village. The bowels of hell they turned them two locations into. Newark has no chance to succeed without an influx of middle income people to balance things out. If not it's just going to be a cycle of poverty from generation to generation with no escape. People are afraid to even ride through the city for fear of being carjacked or shot. There really is nothing more that I can say. Open your eyes Jaynor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ArmyGroupEast it sounds like you know what you're talking about and you understand my point of view. Jaynor, yes there has been little trickles of development here and there but the residents don't like it and they seem to like living in a Section 8, low income, public housing filled city of poverty. Take a good look around the intersection of Broad & Market and tell me what you see. It looks like 14 St in NYC in the early eighties. Its grimy, scary to most normal people, and downtrodden. You are making it out to be some urban success story, which it's certainly not. Army Group East knows what the big picture looks like. Newark wants to remain a ghetto centric city. They want more low income housing that they can ruin, just like the townhouses on Broadway and Steven Crane Village. The bowels of hell they turned them two locations into. Newark has no chance to succeed without an influx of middle income people to balance things out. If not it's just going to be a cycle of poverty from generation to generation with no escape. People are afraid to even ride through the city for fear of being carjacked or shot. There really is nothing more that I can say. Open your eyes Jaynor.
Baraka has vision for Newark. Which is to make a it a wakanda. A black city with black wealth . He wants to do this by wealth transfer, rather than wealth creation. He wants to capture the cascading middle class leaving nyc and sack them with high rents in the central business district. So he can have a tax base to subsidize the lifestyle of ppl that did not earn it themselves. Then he wants to magically somehow buildup the outer wards inundated with poor ppl without displacing them. The idea is to keep them happy to keep the votes coming . The problem with wakanda is that , it was created thru internal intellectual capital not imported and subsidized . The best and brightest of Newark have to stay in Newark. This is not the case, the best of Newark tend to leave Newark because the ‘other ppl’ are so prevelent in Newark. So how can a city create wealth internally when the most talented leave due to desirability. You have import that capital but they have no where to go and no incentive stay/come back. the main issue is these ppl have the best intentions for the poor but in real life, the choose not to live with them. those that do live next to poor ppl displace them .

I understand the passion and optimism of Jaynor but I cannot to understand the logic of Jaynor. I actually thought alot like him. Then something called rational thought hit me, something called mathematics hit me, something called human nature hit me. Something called economics hit me. I cannot let my own personal vanity and idealization trump(no pun) reality. But , what i learned is that you will be talking in circles trying to argue your point with most ppl. The human ego simply does not work that way. Its like we are talking two different languages.

Newark is full with passion, optimism and undoubtly the best of all intentions for its residents. Unfortunately, Newark will continue to fall behind other cities unable to fulfill these visions to its zeneith. Sure , Newark will make some ‘progress’ but this progress will be a modicum. of success in comparison to many other cities. The difference being that , unlike Newark, those cities and their residents
will make seek remedies over excuses. Those cities embrace realities and rationality. And those cities seek to sync their vision with the pracitical policies needed to achieve that vision;expeditiously . For whatever eason, Newark is unwilling or unable to do what is absolutely necessary to achieve this vision.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Army Group East, that's the exact word I used in prior posts, a modicum. And that's about it, the blight in every ward is overwhelming, from graffiti to illegal dumping, open air drug corners, prostitution. Many people refer to Newark as a shithole, a cesspool and an open sewer. Jersey City is going to be NJ's largest city when this census is added up, Jersey City has a mixed population that makes it successful, unlike Newark which is a haven for the poor and disenfranchised souls. I agree with your philosophy Army Group, you seem to know what's going on. Jaynor I would love for Newark to be something but it just isn't there. What national stores are located downtown? I could probably count them on one hand. All of the vacant storefronts on Broad St between Central and New should be occupied by restaurants and other businesses catering to the NJPAC crowd, but still sit vacant and rotting away. I don't know what else to say, look how fast Irvington went downhill. People are afraid to come to Newark unless they really have to. It is an anomaly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm done arguing with either of you two... anyone who can look around the city and still think its stagnant and hasn't been improving deserves to wallow in negativity on this forum.

Anyone who can claim that the city will never turn around and that the developments it is seeing is not enough or that it will never turn the corner are just blind themselves. There is no evidence of objective facts to prove what you are saying. Newark's population with degrees from universities has increased, rent has increased substantially, the population has increased, the city has had surpluses every year since 2014, the city is seeing a shit ton of new development not just downtown, but all over (and those developments heavily favor market rate apartments) and a substantial decrease in crime.

The city is not looking to stay a "ghetto" because if it wanted to, the city would of just kept with the Sharpe James way of doing things... actively pushing out development, being completely corrupt, etc. But whatever, you two can continue to view very positive signs about the city in a negative way, just because its not developing as fast as you want (which, again, is ridiculous as the city has been gaining alof of traction, especially when considering that the only major market rate apartments opening up in the mid 2000s were a few luxury apartments near Prudential Center). The only people not looking at this with rational thought are J.Del, who spends all his time here and other forums bashing the city, and armygroupeast. You two have valid criticisms, but they are just one factor in a substantially complex city with alot of good and bad happening in it.

PS- JC is not expected to overtake Newark this census, the earliest may be 2030, but thats only if Newark continues at its current pace of development, which I think we will see a substantial increase next decade... just another example fo J.Del basing his statements on opinion and not fact, which is pervasive all over his statements on this forum.

I will continue to visit this page and enjoy the conversations here from people who are super excited for Newark's future and starting now I will just ignore the trolls, and the negative people who can't be objective when all the facts prove the city is no where near as bad as they claim it is or stagnant as they think it is (which is insane, its like they forgot how the city had no development in it for like 30 years before now, and they still want to paint newark as still being the same city from the 70s... anyone with eyes and reading comprehension skills can see otherwise).

1441 - 1460 of 1524 Posts