SkyscraperCity banner

1461 - 1480 of 1524 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jaynor, I remember a post you made maybe a couple of years back where you stated that "Newark is pretty well off, for the most part ". I couldn't believe what I was reading. Newark is the leader in all the bad things category in NJ. Infant mortality rates, STD and AIDS rates, etc.. One third of all residents are on some form of public assistance, if that's well off I don't even want to know what you're definition of a poor city is. Yes, there has been development but not even close to Jersey City. Baraka wants the city to remain a ghetto. Since 1980 and still waiting for the so called "Renaissance". In other news, has anyone heard about 10 Park Pl being converted into apartments? You know Essex County Welfare moved to the former MBNA call center building at Market & University and they were the only tenant besides some other county agencies offices. This is the building at Park Pl and raps around to Rector St. I believe it was the Fireman Fund Insurance Company building at one time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Physically he wants the city to be nice, but he wants the amenties to be paid for by people outside the city. But he wants only a certain group of ppl to benefit from those new developments/improvements. He wants the people to be ghetto and be stuck in the ghetto-white supremacy- dependacy cycle. You see how he's bullying these business and the ironbound over covid but no one is talking about the other epidenmic of male-to-male violence and death in his city. Covid is hiding alot of crap in these progressive cities. Anyway, He continues to push white supremacy as the prevailing cauasation of the ails of Newark, He continues to supress the cultural causations of the state of Newark. He simply cannot be honest w/ 'black folk' because the political cost for himself and the democratic party is too high. This makes him highly seflish and highly tribal.
Next thing it will be yellow supremacy for asians or brown supremacy for hispanics. When thier culture dominates and earns higher wages over blacks.Demonize and delfected responsibility. he doesnt understand the biology itself is a competition, even in nature, there is no such thing as "equity" between animals. there no such thing as equal outcomes in nature. Yet he wants to lie and pretend that it can exist in human civilization. Politicians like him keep selling that nonsense to people to keep themselves in power and enslaves the minds of impovished ppl. The simple minded impovished attempt to use people like baraka to vote themselves wealth transfer from other people. The believe in this illusion. However, once more productive people realize what is going on, on how that state and a special interest are attempting to collude to take thier money-They flip. Thats one of the reasons why there were flipped seats in the house(like in Staten Island/Long island), its less in north NJ, because the Elite use property taxes and zoning to keep themselves isolated from people and isolated from thier fallout of their idealogy. Sarah in Maplewood has no problem with defunding the police in Newark or Crappy public schools, She doesnt live there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As a white male and a former Newark firefighter I have to agree with ArmyGroupEast. Some of the city's fire apparatus are over 25 years old and constantly breaking down while Paterson, Jersey City and Elizabeth are all working with up to date fire apparatus. When I say apparatus I mean the fire engine and ladder trucks. It really is a shame that public safety is not a priority but removing a statue of Colombus from Washington Park and another one on Bloomfield Avenue is. SMH. Many people regard the city as nothing but a shithole and the only people living there are either too poor to get out or don't know any better. This "ghetto" vibe has to go in order for the city to see any significant development. The blight is very overwhelming and Ras enjoys it. Enough Section 8, low income and public housing. Jaynor, who goes downtown to shop? The only stores are sneaker shops, hair and nail joints and a few dollar stores. Drugs being bought and sold at Broad & Market, loose cigarettes, counterfeit bus passes and sidewalk vendors selling incense and oils. Please.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ArmyGroupEast, One thing that I'm not in favor of is defunding the police. We actually need MORE police in Newark. Also, I wish more people would use the Newark Connect app, it's very good for reporting any type of issue, from potholes to street lights out. And it gets results. You can follow your complaint from who it was assigned to to the action taken to repair or clean up the problem. Any type of issue. Also, Essex County Welfare moved out of the building on Park Pl & Rector St to the former Bank Of America/MBNA call center building at University Ave & Market St. I heard market rate apartments, but Berger owns the property, at one time The Fireman Fund Insurance Company headquarters offices. I don't have too much faith in the Berger Organization however. They have no track record. They failed in the early nineties trying to rehab the Hahne complex. He hired homeless men for the demo and debris removal, which included asbestos. He's like Yankel Tauber and his LLC from Ramsey, a land banker but a little better than Yankel Tauber, who does absolutely nothing to maintain the properties that they own in Newark, which includes the Griffith Building at 607 Broad St right next door to Hahne's. And Yankel Tauber and his associates, who own several properties in the Downtown area, know that Newark is kind of lax in code enforcement. They are understaffed and overwhelmed. Ras, forget about turning the old 4th Precinct into a museum of the '67 civil unrest, put it behind you. The fire department is in dire need of new apparatus, 25 year old pumpers and ladder trucks is just asking for a catastrophic incident where the apparatus fails at the scene of a working fire. Elizabeth, Paterson, Jersey City all using up to date modern apparatus. But not Newark, that's one of the reasons why I said that Newark is an anomaly, an aberration from the normal, a cat of a different kind that does it's own thing, however ridiculous and just plain stupid it may be. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree in regards to Ras and his infamous father Leroy Jones. All of his cronies have high paying positions, including the director of the water Department who has a criminal record and isn't even an engineer! Nepotism and patronism at it's peak!!!

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
On the topic of actual developments,
NJIT will demolish the Warren Street School (Corner of Warren and Lock Street) to replace it with a 9 story, 500 bed dorm tower. Most of the dorms will be single-occupancy units, and only a few will be double-occupancy. The design is not entirely horrible, it's entrance is on the closest corner to the Light Rail, AND IT ACTUALLY HAS A LARGE CANOPY OVER THE ENTRANCE, something which is typically forbidden for NJIT.

This link has a flyover and partial walkthrough video of the project.
New Residence Hall to Feature Single Bedrooms and Sustainable Construction

The 5 story warehouse building in which the roof fell in is being demolished as seen on Reddit. The comments mention a mixed use development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/jmaz8d
3 Adjacent Properties at 437-459 West Market Street and 16 North 6th Street would be replaced with a 67-unit apartment building with ground floor retail. The height is unknown but I doubt it will be more than 3-5 floors.

Newark Could Sell City Property to Make Way for 67-Unit Project | Jersey Digs

110 James Street close to NJIT could be sold for just $10,459 (Assessed Value of $32,000 but getting it developed is better than a vacant eyesore lot) to replace it with a 15 unit apartment building. The site is directly across the street from the Baxter Towers and a block away from the 99-unit NJIT James Street project. The orange-brown building behind the telephone poles on the right side of the image was just built around 3 years ago.

15-Unit Student Housing Complex Might Come to University Heights, Newark | Jersey Digs

A healthy eatery called "Freshii" leased 1829 SF in the Ironside Newark development.
Health Conscious Eatery Freshii Coming to Ironside Newark | Jersey Digs

A 6-story, 78-unit affordable apartment building will be built behind the Georgia King Towers, at the corner of West Market Street and Littleton Avenue. It actually has a decent design, considering its surroundings. It replaces part of the surface parking for the Towers, and will only add 20 parking spots of its own. It will have 23 studios, 29 one-bedroom units, 20 two-bedroom units, six three-bedroom units.

Development With 78 ‘Affordable’ Units and Healthcare Center Planned Next to Newark’s Georgia King Village | Jersey Digs

The vacant lots at 768-772 Bergen Street (close to the corner of Runyon Street) could be sold for $47,250 to be developed with a 21-unit building with 2 ground floor retail spaces.

Newark Plans to Sell Lower Clinton Hill Properties for $47K to Make Way for 21-Unit Building | Jersey Digs

The closed former Newark Renaissance House drug rehab facility that is close to NJIT at 50-56 Norfolk Street will be converted into a 29 unit apartment building. It will also have a 1950 SF ground floor retail space which will dramatically improve that side. The rest of the building will get some minor improvements which will help it match the rest of the Gomes Group's "Silicon Alley" which has been gradually collecting new and renovated buildings.

Before:

After:

The rear side facing away from the viewer in the Before photo will look like this

Newark Developer Seeks to Convert Former Addiction Treatment Center Into 29-Unit Building | Jersey Digs

Silicon Alley has been quickly and rather quietly developing over the last 8 years or so all along Sussex Avenue. Completed buildings highlighted in yellow, other known developments circled in red (via Google Maps). Also, all 3 large blocks across Nesbitt Street are the sites of large unrelated developments. The green grass triangle is part of Baxter Park Phase 2.

·
Registered
153 Posts
On the topic of actual developments,
NJIT will demolish the Warren Street School (Corner of Warren and Lock Street) to replace it with a 9 story, 500 bed dorm tower. Most of the dorms will be single-occupancy units, and only a few will be double-occupancy. The design is not entirely horrible, it's entrance is on the closest corner to the Light Rail, AND IT ACTUALLY HAS A LARGE CANOPY OVER THE ENTRANCE, something which is typically forbidden for NJIT.

This link has a flyover and partial walkthrough video of the project.
New Residence Hall to Feature Single Bedrooms and Sustainable Construction

Why can’t the reputed quality of NJIT’s architecture program translate over into the architecture of its buildings? True, most aren’t bad, and there are some interesting features. But one should expect more from an architecture school.

Or... is it the notoriously aesthetically blind engineers at NJIT who neutralize the architects’ potential influence?

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
^^^ NJIT literally does not listen. The architecture school had a competition, for that site, with the results featured in the Hahne's Building atrium for a while, for a redesign of the site. But NJIT does not consult students on the designs. I've honestly tried while I was a student there and managed to get a few changes, but not many. Mostly around the Honors College on Warren Street where I got them to put canopies and signage over the storefront (they were literally not going to have any and called it a "Soft Opening", and purposely chose extremely darkened glass to keep the public from seeing the store and originally a pizza place), and to add the cross walk in front of the building earlier than they had planned to as they were going to wait until the sports complex was completed. NJIT is a school that locks the doors on the buildings at night so you have to swipe your ID to get out (or push the door for 15 seconds and set off a loud alarm), and that system malfunctioned religiously. They weren't even going to have a door on the Architecture building going out to MLK Blvd originally, and when they added a single lame door, they refused over and over again to add a canopy over that door for when you are holding your architectural model and fighting that swipe card reader in the rain. So the bare minimum design for that new dorm tower, is a milestone for them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's a great update Tower. Also, a coffee shop is going to be the first retail tenant at One Theater Square, AKA 2 Center St. I forget the name, PJ's I believe. And the restaurant coming to Ironside is a Canadian chain. Still didn't hear anything about 10 Park Pl (former Fireman Fund Insurance Company) being turned into market rate housing? The building is vacant since Essex County Welfare moved to Market & University in the former Bank of America/MBNA call center building.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great to see more development pushing out of downtown, even as downtown continues to build up. Exciting times for the city... still kinda weird how some people can claim the city is trying to keep itself down when are seeing prolonged periods of both growth and development in Newark... I guess some people just like living in a delusional state just because they don't like the current mayor of the city... oh well, still excited to see all the construction going on everywhere.

Also, can someone explain to me when did street vendors/sneaker stores/ and nail salons become a symbol of blight... if that is the case, man Manhattan is a dump.

Why doesn't anyone talk about the increase in bars and restaurants downtown, the art galleries, the new coffee shops, the whole foods, etc when talking about downtown... the critics on this forum want to paint downtown as all depressed and full of unsavory elements, but conveniently leave out all the good going down over there... seems like some people just have an agenda here and refuse to view newark as it is, a very complex city with a lot of different parts moving around.

·
Registered
342 Posts
How many sneaker, hair and nail, and fried chicken joints does Downtown Newark need? How about some diversity. Newark couldn't even support that Old Navy store on Market St or the Cinnamon & Sugar Bakery on Market St between Broad and Beaver St. Even the Petco went kaput. Ignorance is bliss they say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
we are talking 2 different languages.
Jaynor is basically saying be optimistic, there is progress and minimizing the negative. Your talking too much sh-t bout Newark.

We are saying optimism is not actionable nor is it tangible , without constructive feedback on factors that minimize growth and potential. Anotherwords, its not enough to go with the flow.

I surely dont talk down about Newark for the sake trashing Newark. I talk this way because i hope that rationally minded residents, residents that don't make decisions based on emotions, would see this and evaluate the city objectively. My argument is : sure there is development but there are significant hinderances to growth. Because these hinderances are not addressed, minimized , ignored, whatever the case, Newarks growth is not matched to it potential. There is a gap between growth and potential. This gap can exist anywhere. However, my argument, and i think J Del’s as well, is the growth-potential gap is disproportionately and needlessly large in Newark. So my argument is we can close the gap to more reasonable levels, so the residents can experience a transformed city in their lifetimes. Jersey City, Brooklyn, Harlem did it 20-30 yrs , so can we and we should.

There is no reason to hold growth so we can virtue signal for votes all while keeping the population in the same bad environment. Sure some ppl will be pushed out, but the residents that stayed, that purchased , that remained will have a better and safer city. And we can use that growth to help the poor. this helps everyone, and not keeping everyone poor/dependent for votes . Th

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree. I am not putting down the city at all, I am just trying to show you that the trickles of development that has taken place is a drop in the bucket. What is so great about downtown? Many vacant storefronts, Broad & Market open air drug market, sneaker stores, fried chicken, hair and nails/beauty supply joints that are Korean owned. Panhandlers, homeless mentally ill people, and they drop them off in Newark, the surrounding towns will literally dump them in Newark. As of now the bad conditions and blight totally outweigh what little good that has occurred. Jaynor, you are an attorney correct? I really don't think that the current administration in city hall wants any outsiders to move to Newark. Baraka is somewhat like his father, the infamous Leroy Jones, who was very controversial and divisive. Jaynor, were you aware of that? I think Army Group East is. I believe that a little gentrification would do the city some good. It can't remain a city of the impoverished, Section 8, low income and public housing. You need more middle class middle income residents. Look at the history of public housing in Newark and how it failed. Even some of the newer low rise public housing is being ravaged. Court St & Mercer for example, where Scudder Homes once stood. The parking lot is a drug supermarket day and night. Steven Crane Village is destroyed. Broadway Townhouses. You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
^^^ Other than Broad and Market, which is just mixed into the large crowds waiting for the busiest bus transfer point in the city, if not the state, the drug sales thrive in places where there is very little foot traffic or police patrols. Fewer talkative witnesses. The public housing superblocks and parking lots, regardless of towers or low-rise, have very little foot traffic through them on a normal day. And many of them are dead-ends so the police have to make a conscious effort to turn into and circle the parking lots. The only way to get rid of it would be to restore the street grid with continuous and inviting public streets, and line some of the corners with some storefronts. The vast seas of lowrise buildings surrounded by even larger parking lots, like what is all around Court and Mercer, are perfect empty places for drug sales just because of how they are designed. That whole section along Irvine Turner Boulevard, between Springfield and Clinton Avenues, is almost completely devoid of storefronts. That is by design from the original rules about federally funded Public Housing. No balconies, no closets with doors, and no storefronts because they believed that the public housing would build storefronts so cheap that they would have put the traditional existing storefronts out of business because they could never compete. That resulted in an area approximately 4000 feet across without any businesses to walk to. These newest Public Housing developments that actually line the street frontage (such as Montgomery Heights, Plaza at Springfield, 220 Irvine Turner Boulevard, etc) need to also add a few more storefronts WITH LATE NIGHT HOURS to liven up the place.

As far as specific businesses, Fried Chicken, Hair and Nail salons, and Sneaker stores remain popular and they pay the rent. Some stereotypes of the Black community hold true. As far as the chains failing, they are unique situations to their businesses. Old Navy was previously stubbornly sticking to the old ideals of either malls or storefronts with massive parking lots. They are also owned by GAP, which was closing many of its brand stores left and right. They now have a plan to exit all malls by 2024, and might come back to Newark. Ferry Street in The Ironbound seems most logical. Petco was the worst possible occupant of the Hahne's Building. A lot of its business comes from heavy bags of dog food and cat litter, which stubbornly requires a car. It was also very well hidden in there with only a tiny street-facing storefront. The best occupant for that would be a small IKEA or similar affordable flatpack furniture and assorted apartment/dorm room accessories outlet. There are few options for that besides a dollar or discount store like the Dollar Bazaar (that was supposed to be replaced by a Burlington Coat Factory. If you wanted a plastic storage bin or a shower caddy, you had to drive to Walmart and the colleges ran weekly shuttles to Walmart. Cinnamon and Sugar Bakery was also a specialized place. If the taste and price do not appeal to the public enough, it fails. Anything bakery place that is a quick walk to Newark Penn Station, Broad Street Station, or the major bus transfer points needs to have something that can be grabbed quickly and enjoyed on a train (that whole idea went away due to mask rules but will soon come back). That means a pastry that is less than maybe $4, especially if it can be paired with a coffee. If you only sell $10+ pastries and cakes, it does not appeal to the commuters. A donut, danish, or breakfast sandwich does, and that is what makes the various places in the Gateway Center successful.

In terms of development,
The former BURG restaurant in Military Park finally has a replacement that opened for business. 'The Yard' opened on November 20th. So far they have very limited hours for a Soft Opening and COVID-19. https://m.facebook.com/TheYardNewark/

A new mural is being installed on the tall retaining walls of the Mulberry Commons Park. This was around November 20th, from Reddit, so it likely progressed further.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/jyh21z
2 new miniature soccer fields were installed at West Side High School by the Black Players for Change organization of Black Major League Soccer players.

In nod to Black leaders in MLS, Newark unveils miniature soccer pitches for youth players

Doremus Avenue and 1&9 are being redesigned and rebuilt in and around Newark as part of the $700 Million "Portway" project. It's part of an effort to upgrade the Ports of Newark and Elizabeth to the busiest in the country, as they are already the 2nd busiest. As the ports expand, so does the demand for transfer warehouses and distribution centers in The Ironbound.
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/freight/portway/projects.shtm
N.J. ports are 2nd busiest in the country. Road projects could get us to No. 1, gov says.

Newark is planning its own Scooter and Bike-Share program called "NewarkGo". Unlike previous notorious messes like BIRD, Newark's version is actually aiming for a series of docking stations to keep them from being left in the middle or walkways. If it is successful, it could lead to massive public support for street and bike lane improvements, and increased usage of mass transit as the scooters and bikes contribute to the Last Mile Solution, or at least increase the walkable/bikeable radius around storefronts before someone gets into a car. The project is aiming to begin in the Spring of 2021. The next 2 public input dates through streaming on the city's Facebook page are December 2nd at 6 PM and December 7th at Noon.
Newark wants residents’ input before launching scooter, bike-share pilot program

Essex County is upgrading signals and street intersections at 39 intersections countywide. The only one actually in Newark is at Springfield and 17th Street, and includes curb bumpouts, improved crosswalks, rest islands, and a "Pedestrian Scramble" which stops all car traffic to let pedestrians cross in all directions. Hopefully the County will get a kick in the backside to do more of them in Newark, as most of the main corridors such as Springfield, South Orange, and Central Avenues are County Highways.
Newark Intersection Will Get Safety Improvements, New Signal

881 Mount Prospect Avenue is planned to have a narrow 5 story building built with 9 residential units and an office and retail store on the ground floor. It is adjacent to the corridor that is proposed to be part of the Essex-Hudson Greenway Rail Trail. That amount of ground floor glass would look great on that corner.

Mixed-Use Development Planned Near Essex-Hudson Greenway Site in Newark’s North Ward | Jersey Digs

The previously mention 337-339 Mulberry Street development, which would have 92 units and 1458 SF of ground floor retail in a 9 story building over just 13 parking spots is being sued by 3 neighbors over parking complaints and others. They are also complaining that the Planning Board meeting held over a Zoom chat (like every other one for the previous 4-5 months) was inaccessible to those that did not have technology to access it. The development received a variance as it would have been required to provide 53 parking spots, and apparently received 6 bulk variances while only 3 were on the notice. The renders seem like a decent and rather inviting design with lots of glass and large canopies that would be ruined by a large parking garage.

Lawsuit Seeks to Block Newark’s Scott Towers Development | Jersey Digs

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank you for the update Tower, most of the developments you mentioned I read about in Jersey Digs. Some of the stuff such as The Yard opening I hadn't heard about until you posted your update. There is just too much poverty in Newark, given the opportunity to live elsewhere most people would not want to live here. They just don't need the problems that come with residing here. From the quality of life issues up to the ever present gun violence. It's just not worth the hassle. Every project in the latest Jersey Digs was in JC, except one. The Broadway and the two Mt.Prospect Ave housing proposals are near the decrepit old Boonton Line/Greenwood Lake Branch tracks which are a mess and a half, from illegal dumping to stolen cars driving on the tracks and then they set the stolen car on fire when they are through having their fun with it. Graffiti literally everywhere, who needs that when they could live someplace that doesn't have them types of issues taking place. That's why I think that some gentrification would be great for the city. Critical mass must be reached. I don't have the answers to the problems that this city faces on a daily basis, and brick and mortar do not make a city.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
J.Del, probably the Number One Issue holding Newark back is its reputation outside of Newark. According to suburbanites, you would get robbed and murdered the second you get off the Interstate onto Broad Street. Most of them either have not stepped foot in Newark since the 1960's and 70's, or they have only ever returned for an occasional event at the Prudential Center in which they drove to the most expensive parking lot right next to the arena and the drove away the second that the event ended. Up until VERY recently, every single news article about Newark started with "In a City ravaged by Race Riots" and not always mentioning that they were in 1968, regardless of what the article was actually about. If anything, the high ranking on that Amazon HQ2 search significantly changed the reputation of the city. But the damage to the city's reputation has been done.

The stubborn reality is that cities are reliant on suburban shoppers to add to the economy. They CANNOT just rely on their residents and the Downtown office workers. In order to draw the shoppers back, you need to both create better inviting shopping streets (Ferry Street's facade program and the streetscape improvements have made it a tourism destination in addition to efforts of the community), and you have to improve the city's reputation. Outside of the COVID days, events and new developments serve as a good way to draw people back to "rediscover" the city. However the focus on stolen cars being set on fire or people shooting up Heroin in the middle of the street is not doing anything to help. If anything, it contributes to the constant response from social media users, which is to "Drive a fleet of bulldozers through Newark and leave it as Scorched Earth".

If the shopping streets can be revived, they are more likely to have small businesses that hire locally, and to be owned by Newarkers. That puts the maximum amount of money back into Newarkers' pockets and into the city's schools and services. The new warehouses also help to hire a lot of locals. Both groups of businesses are going to dodge any place where they perceive their businesses are at risk. I am NOT saying to censor the crime and decay reports and whatnot. There are better ways to deal with them. Report the graffiti and the decaying infrastructure on the city's app called Newark Connect or This Site https://seeclickfix.com/web_portal/KQP3H8fCJTzzBnMjmVKUsQo6/report/category There is everything from garbage complaints to sidewalk and pothole reports on there and the city responds to most of them. They monitor it from 8-4, Monday to Friday. Report the crimes to the police, anonymously if needed. The police non-emergency number is 973-733-6000. Just don't overdo it with being a narc. They might already be working on the specific area of drug dealing but they need to build up a case to hold the gang leaders for more than a few hours.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
anything happening at Shaq 2?
There hasn't been anything recently on Reddit or elsewhere about Shaq 2 (777 McCarter Highway). Instead, Weequahic Park is getting a new community center and held a ceremonial groundbreaking on Wednesday. The construction cost is $4.51 Million and it will open in Fall 2021.

Weequahic Park Will Get a New Community Center in 2021

A new building is proposed for 862 Broadway close to the Essex Hudson Greenway future site. 5 floors with 29 units and 24 parking spots.

'862 Broadway Residences' Proposed for Newark’s North Ward | Jersey Digs

Newark is also starting a Housing First initiative with $2 Million to subsidize developments of between 3 and 29 units, at up to $500,000 per development and up to $50,000 per unit. Proposals are due by December 16th, and they will be selected in February. Construction must be completed within 18 months of being awarded the subsidies. Also as part of the plan, 100 Section 8 vouchers would be issued to house the homeless and 10 city-owned vacant lots would be sold for $2 per square foot to developers that would have to meet the requirements. The initiative is focusing on supportive services to help people get back on their feet instead of just emergency shelters in the traditional sense. The city's data counts 1859 homeless people based on counts in 2020, so they have a long way to go but it is a good start.
Department: HOUSING CHALLENGE – CALL FOR PARTNERS
Newark wants to give $2M to developers to build permanent housing for homeless

·
Registered
529 Posts
ArmyGroupEast, One thing that I'm not in favor of is defunding the police. We actually need MORE police in Newark. Also, I wish more people would use the Newark Connect app, it's very good for reporting any type of issue, from potholes to street lights out. And it gets results. You can follow your complaint from who it was assigned to to the action taken to repair or clean up the problem.
I filed two complaints in July. One a safety issue at a traffic signal. I have "bumped" the complaints twice since. Its December, and no action on either.

1461 - 1480 of 1524 Posts