Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree. I am not putting down the city at all, I am just trying to show you that the trickles of development that has taken place is a drop in the bucket. What is so great about downtown? Many vacant storefronts, Broad & Market open air drug market, sneaker stores, fried chicken, hair and nails/beauty supply joints that are Korean owned. Panhandlers, homeless mentally ill people, and they drop them off in Newark, the surrounding towns will literally dump them in Newark. As of now the bad conditions and blight totally outweigh what little good that has occurred. Jaynor, you are an attorney correct? I really don't think that the current administration in city hall wants any outsiders to move to Newark. Baraka is somewhat like his father, the infamous Leroy Jones, who was very controversial and divisive. Jaynor, were you aware of that? I think Army Group East is. I believe that a little gentrification would do the city some good. It can't remain a city of the impoverished, Section 8, low income and public housing. You need more middle class middle income residents. Look at the history of public housing in Newark and how it failed. Even some of the newer low rise public housing is being ravaged. Court St & Mercer for example, where Scudder Homes once stood. The parking lot is a drug supermarket day and night. Steven Crane Village is destroyed. Broadway Townhouses. You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still a pig.
You do realize I have read as much of Newark's history as any one can... I know who Leroy Jones is, but just because one's father was a major player in the black power movement does not mean Baraka is the same as him. Its like the concept of people being individuals is lost to you.

Baraka isn't my choice of mayor... I never voted for the guy. However, to sit here and claim that he is some major force stopping development, when he has overseen more active construction in the city than Booker is a reason I am responding to armygroup... I have to both of you in many different responses here that I welcome constructive criticisms, but the fact of the matter is both of you aren't giving it... its always negative and underwriting all the development going on by comparing Newark to other cities when we should be comparing it to where the city was and where it is today.

I dont give a damn about what is going on in JC, its not my city. What I do care about is the fact that Newark is in a much better place today than it was just 10 years ago. Hell, this city has been able to support a damn whole foods, everyone expected that thing to fail. Newark has added a bunch of new market rate housing and continues to add more as we speak. Newark has had a surplus every year since 2015, its credit score has gone up, property values are higher than pre-2008 levels, and crime is at its lowest since the 60s. All of these are objective factors that are accessible to all to see.

My issue with both of you is that you just expect Newark to just drop a 1000 feet tall building, when the city for the longest time couldn't support renting out a random 3 unit building from the 70s to mid 2000s... building/rebuilding a city takes time and patience and trying to compare Newark to cities who have been doing Newark's game for 30 years longer isnt doing anyone any good because of course those cities will be able to support and develop larger developments, they already got past the growing pains and have proven they can succeed. Newark is slowly but surely proving to investors it can succeed and we are seeing the fruits of that labor with how much development is going on downtown and in the ironbound, with more experimental developments happening outside the core of the city to test the market.

I dont subscribe to a positive or negative view of the city because its a big complex place with neighborhoods both growing and shrinking at the same time, but I am outwardly opposed to just constantly reading your own negative views on the city and passing it on as facts... case in point how both of you speak about the mayor... he isn't free of criticism, but he isn't even remotely opposed to development the way you two claim he is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
J.Del, probably the Number One Issue holding Newark back is its reputation outside of Newark. According to suburbanites, you would get robbed and murdered the second you get off the Interstate onto Broad Street. Most of them either have not stepped foot in Newark since the 1960's and 70's, or they have only ever returned for an occasional event at the Prudential Center in which they drove to the most expensive parking lot right next to the arena and the drove away the second that the event ended. Up until VERY recently, every single news article about Newark started with "In a City ravaged by Race Riots" and not always mentioning that they were in 1968, regardless of what the article was actually about. If anything, the high ranking on that Amazon HQ2 search significantly changed the reputation of the city. But the damage to the city's reputation has been done.

The stubborn reality is that cities are reliant on suburban shoppers to add to the economy. They CANNOT just rely on their residents and the Downtown office workers. In order to draw the shoppers back, you need to both create better inviting shopping streets (Ferry Street's facade program and the streetscape improvements have made it a tourism destination in addition to efforts of the community), and you have to improve the city's reputation. Outside of the COVID days, events and new developments serve as a good way to draw people back to "rediscover" the city. However the focus on stolen cars being set on fire or people shooting up Heroin in the middle of the street is not doing anything to help. If anything, it contributes to the constant response from social media users, which is to "Drive a fleet of bulldozers through Newark and leave it as Scorched Earth".

If the shopping streets can be revived, they are more likely to have small businesses that hire locally, and to be owned by Newarkers. That puts the maximum amount of money back into Newarkers' pockets and into the city's schools and services. The new warehouses also help to hire a lot of locals. Both groups of businesses are going to dodge any place where they perceive their businesses are at risk. I am NOT saying to censor the crime and decay reports and whatnot. There are better ways to deal with them. Report the graffiti and the decaying infrastructure on the city's app called Newark Connect or This Site https://seeclickfix.com/web_portal/KQP3H8fCJTzzBnMjmVKUsQo6/report/category There is everything from garbage complaints to sidewalk and pothole reports on there and the city responds to most of them. They monitor it from 8-4, Monday to Friday. Report the crimes to the police, anonymously if needed. The police non-emergency number is 973-733-6000. Just don't overdo it with being a narc. They might already be working on the specific area of drug dealing but they need to build up a case to hold the gang leaders for more than a few hours.
100 percent I do think Newark's main issue for decades was its reputation, but I can say with confidence that many younger suburbanites aren't as privy to believe the horror stories their parents pass down as much any more. When I was in college/law school you would hear a pretty vocal minority talk about how much they appreciated Newark and think its not as bad as they were led to believe. They do say it needs alot more work, but many were considering apartments downtown... especially after whole foods opened up.

As for getting more suburbanites back into stores and businesses in Newark, I also think its changing... take this with a grain of salt as I am only one example, but a good chunk of planet fitness clientele downtown comes from Harrison (mostly the newer residents loving in the luxury apartments). I left planet fitness and joined a cross fit gym downtown and that place is mostly patronized by people from the burbs as well, and only a handful actually live in Newark, though I'm the only one that lives in one of the outer wards. Plus, I have noticed that once Marcus B and P opened up, it seemed to attract alot of suburbanites to downtown, not enough to make a dent, but its a start. Plus, we can't overlook what Ironside and the new changes happening at Gateway/Shaq 2 will have for people who come into Newark for a show and then leave... having a new tower going up will make walking to the Rock from Penn Station more inviting, same with the plans at the Gate way which is expected to have restaurants and shops at the ground level, and Ironside is also going to do alot in getting people to walk around a bit more. Most people who go to the Rock tend to spend money in the bars and restaurants near the area, and getting more options in that general area and a more pedestrian friendly feel should go a long way to changing how people feel about Newark.

We definitely need to find a way to connect the arena district/penn station area with the Military Park area, as that will go a long way to spreading the outside money into other parts of downtown (I do think it starts with the owners of the buildings on Market and Broad finally getting in on the action), but I do believe that a reputation of a city can be mended ... it takes time and there is alot of reasons to think the city is finally turning that corner (hell, the hockey fans have no issue attending outside fan events in Newark anymore), its just about being smart, finding the right partners, and keeping the momentum going... the hardest part was getting the traction, its already here and if the market has taught us anything its that once it gets some steam, its usually hard to stop it.

TLDR: Newark's rep. has been a deterent to new development for decades, but many younger people are detached from the outright negative view of the city that their parents have. Plus, more and more suburbanites are definitely getting more comfortable with the idea of coming into Newark for entertainment/shopping and that moment should continue with all the development happening just steps away from both Pru and Penn Station. The market has finally got enough traction in the city and I, personally, think its here to stay.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As much as you may think that I hate Newark I do not. I will give you an example - there is a street light directly opposite 550 Broad St. that has been out for a week or so, there was no pole number on it and it was at the corner of Broad St. & Washington Pl on the west side of the street. So PSEG responded and one of the customer service representatives called me the next day and told me it's not one of their lights and that it must belong to NJ Transit. It's one of those new style black decorative lights and it's not too far from the light rail. So I contacted NJ Transit about it many times over a two week period only to be told that it's Newark's light. Newark doesn't have anything to do with street light maintenance or installation, just traffic lights. So I got in touch with a supervisor from PSEG and explained what was going on. He asked me a few questions about the light, if there was a wire connection to the light rail etc... so he came to the conclusion that it probably is PS's light. So he advised me to call it in to PS customer service again and give them the location as best as possible being it's in front of Washington Park and has no pole number on it, and he advised me to tape or tie something bright around the pole and tell customer service so they can let the repair electrician know that that is the light that is out. They work during the day so they have to rely on citizens to report lights that are burned out. Anyway, early in the morning for 3 days straight I taped a sheet of white paper to the pole with a message on it. The first two either got blown away or someone removed it. So yesterday I was walking and I seen the PSEG truck there and the repair man in the bucket repairing the bulb and I approached him and we had a long conversation about politics to religion to music and sports. The light finally got repaired and is working. I rest my case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As much as you may think that I hate Newark I do not. I will give you an example - there is a street light directly opposite 550 Broad St. that has been out for a week or so, there was no pole number on it and it was at the corner of Broad St. & Washington Pl on the west side of the street. So PSEG responded and one of the customer service representatives called me the next day and told me it's not one of their lights and that it must belong to NJ Transit. It's one of those new style black decorative lights and it's not too far from the light rail. So I contacted NJ Transit about it many times over a two week period only to be told that it's Newark's light. Newark doesn't have anything to do with street light maintenance or installation, just traffic lights. So I got in touch with a supervisor from PSEG and explained what was going on. He asked me a few questions about the light, if there was a wire connection to the light rail etc... so he came to the conclusion that it probably is PS's light. So he advised me to call it in to PS customer service again and give them the location as best as possible being it's in front of Washington Park and has no pole number on it, and he advised me to tape or tie something bright around the pole and tell customer service so they can let the repair electrician know that that is the light that is out. They work during the day so they have to rely on citizens to report lights that are burned out. Anyway, early in the morning for 3 days straight I taped a sheet of white paper to the pole with a message on it. The first two either got blown away or someone removed it. So yesterday I was walking and I seen the PSEG truck there and the repair man in the bucket repairing the bulb and I approached him and we had a long conversation about politics to religion to music and sports. The light finally got repaired and is working. I rest my case.
Like I said, Newark is not free from criticism and its no question city hall can be a mess sometimes, but my issue is the constant negativity ... even when there is alot to celebrate in the city, which I have already mentioned...

I also tend to have an issue with this expectation that Newark should be pulling in these major developments after 50 plus years of neglect... Newark right now is an obese dude who was depressed for a few years and ate like shit, and now is starting to hit the gym and eat healthier... you can expect the guy who only just got back into taking care of themselves to automatically look like the guy who has been working out for years (JC)... it takes time, and its alot of work, but Newark has shown its committed to working out and getting to be a healthier "person"... that is all im saying here. I dont think we should he putting the cart before the horse when the market is starting to really develop here... its easy to get discouraged, but all of us would be fooling ourselves if we think Newark of today is as bad as it was back in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s, cause its not. Its not where it needs to be, but its getting better here and to only focus on the bad and downplay the good here is the issue I have because this city is more complex than just its all poverty, and crime, and poor when statistics show its that but its also improving, also growing the income of its population, also improving its education, also improving its standard of living, etc.

So if we are going to have a real discussion about Newark, lets have it with the understanding that the city is both our prospectives and not just the bad or the good

·
Registered
529 Posts
So my safety related complaint on the app hasnt been addressed for 5 months (a pedestrian push button is inaccessible so you cant get the light).

But I complained that a row of trees were removed and havent been replaced.

Quickly got a response: "Newark doesnt replace street trees."

Besides the fact that its an insane policy, and explains why so much of the city is so ugly.... its telling that they respond quickly to "not my job" but not the safety issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mr.Sinclair, I understand your frustration, the wheel that squeaks gets the grease, if you know what I mean. Your go to guy about the traffic related button should go to Dexter Cobb at Traffic & Signals 9737333969 you will get results. His email is: [email protected] He is dedicated and will address your concerns. The trees fall under Engineering I believe or they may have put it under Public Works. Try 9737338520 or the director of Engineering, [email protected]. His name is Phil Scott. The Newark Connect app has been useful in getting some things done and it is for the most part, pretty responsive. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also, PJ's Coffee, a chain based in New Orleans is coming to One Theater Square, as well as a Kenyan themed restaurant called Swahili Village and an Asian restaurant named Tai Chi. I guess when this Covid rut this nation is in is finally quelled. Because I don't see the point of opening up anything at this point in time.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
The previously mentioned 260-272 Washington Street has grown to 22 floors and 200 units from the previous 18 floors and 167 units. The renders are more polished and they look decent. It will be a facadectomy of the gorgeous building on the site, while the smaller ruined buildings next to it will be flattened. It does not mention what will happen with that long building on Branford Place that was half demolished a couple years ago, but it looks like at least part of it is still there in the first render.

From this:

To this:

Plans for Newark’s Metropolitan Building Site Now Call for 22-Story Development | Jersey Digs

Also, the Kastner Mansion at 176 Clinton Street has a plan to partially save it after a fire destroyed much of it last year, and add a 3 and 4 story addition on the side and rear. It looks TERRIBLE. Someone needs to hang out in the Detroit forums to learn how to restore a devastated historic mansion because some worse ones have been completely restored!

A Year After Historic Mansion in Newark Burned, Former Owner Fights for a Second Chance | Jersey Digs

The old Bergen Street School could be converted by the City of Newark into a Police and Fire Training Academy.

Newark Council to Vote on Contracts Involving New Police and Fire Academy | Jersey Digs

Lastly, an 18 unit apartment building is proposed next to the Elizabeth Avenue interchange with I-78, at 9-15 Marie Place. No Renders of the building

Development With 18 Units Proposed Near I-78 in Newark | Jersey Digs

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
Shaq Tower 2 at 777 McCarter Highway resumed construction again with lots of equipment on site as of 11 days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/kar6nb
The 5-story building at 254-270 Orange Street near Sussex Avenue has topped out. According to an old Jersey Digs article, it has 105 units and 4250 SF of retail, and is being developed by the Gomes Group, the quiet and busy developer who is doing "Silicon Alley" including and on the other side of the 2 charter schools nearby. Both blocks on the left, the big surface lot at the top middle, and the red and white striped building at the top right all have upcoming developments planned.

Gomes Group Plans Over 100 Units in Newark’s Central Ward | Jersey Digs

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/kdr9cv

·
Registered
342 Posts
They finally cleared out that homeless encampment on the church porch at Broad St & Rector St., How is Shaq ll coming along? Is that being built on the former Matrix site?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Whatever happened to the two developments that were planned for MLK & James NE corner and the one that was supposed to be built at the corner of Lincoln Park & Halsey St? I see NJIT only got permission to demolish the Mueller Bros. building at Central & MLK, and were denied demolition approval of three others that they had planned. Is Mueller Bros currently vacant? What is supposed to be built on that site? It's a shame that Newark is basically a college town but you never would know that. Shuttle buses pick the students up and drop them off, hardly ever see students walking around the area. Something like the Gateway complex where you don't have to step foot on a Newark street. It's a shame really.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Does anyone know if Burger King is going to be demolished for the Russo Development on Broad St between 7th Ave and (close to) State St? There is a big legal notice on Broadway & 7th Ave.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
Does anyone know if Burger King is going to be demolished for the Russo Development on Broad St between 7th Ave and (close to) State St? There is a big legal notice on Broadway & 7th Ave.
The last site plan I saw for that project did not include the Burger King. I wish it did because it is an awful gap in the future streetscape. At least the development will fill in that massive grass lot next to it, as it is the primary walking path between Broad Street Station and the Lower Broadway commercial corridor

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, I think the Burger King should be included also. Whatever happened to the Pestana Hotel in the Ironbound? I know ground was broken, is it at a standstill now because of the pandemic?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought Shaq was going to move into Shaq 2 in Newark...today's Miami Herald says he's moving to Atlanta??? Any more work in progress at Shaq 2 work site?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I thought Shaq was going to move into Shaq 2 in Newark...today's Miami Herald says he's moving to Atlanta??? Any more work in progress at Shaq 2 work site?
Shaq's announced plans to move to 777 McCarter Highway was just a marketing ploy. Does he really even keep an apartment at 50 Rector Place? I'd be surprised.

1481 - 1500 of 1524 Posts