SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
This is your Region - Newcastle and Tyneside

....Newcastle 900.....

This is a short series of reviews of BOOKS that were published in 1980 to help celebrate
the 900th Anniversary of Newcastle upon Tyne . . .

Book One

This is soft backed book that I won recently in a raffle.

Book Title: This is your Region - Newcastle and Tyneside
Authors: Kenneth Charlton, John Davies, Alan Simpson, Ian Watt and Norman Willey
Publisher: Newcastle upon Tyne Educational Committee
ISBN: 0-902653-06-7
Date Printed: 1980 (Reprint)
Price : Not shown

Whilst primarily a school boom it does non the less contain a lot of interesting information covering more than the title suggests.

Some scans from the book as a guide to what it contains:

Scans hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Temp/Temp 1/This is your Region - Newcastle and Tyneside

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
....Newcastle 900.....

This is a short series of reviews of BOOKS that were published in 1980 to help celebrate

Book Two

Historical Atlas of Newcastle upon Tyne
M Barke and R J Buswell
PETRAS, Newcastle upon Tyne Polytechnic

This is the 'second book' in the Newcastle 900 series, the first one being the "This is your Region - Newcastle and Tyneside" book, reviewed by Steve at Post 864. All of the Newcastle 900 books were published in the '900th Year' of 1980, and are badged on their cover with the famous Newcastle 900 Logo.

The Newcastle 900 Logo has also been included in the 'title header' at the top of each post in this short series of Book Reviews.

There are a number of books on the subject of 'Maps of Newcastle' that have been published over the years, that give us a great visual insight as to how our City has grown and developed over time, and how this has been revealed by Maps. The maps in this book are individually drawn to represent and illustrate 'particular aspects' of our City, as is shown in the examples below, after the 'Newcastle 900 Foreword, by The Lord Mayor' . . .

1 - Improvements made to the 'navigability' of the River Tyne, mainly in the 19th Century . .

2 - Public Health in the 19th Century. Top Map: Deaths from Cholera in 1853 / Bottom Map: Fever Deaths in the 1880s . .

Development of Central Newcastle in Nineteenth Century - showing various plans "not built" . .

For information, this book has actually already been reviewed once before on this thread, as part of another 'series' of reviews, this time about Maps . . .

The "Books about MAPS of Newcastle" Series . .
202. Maps of Newcastle - Compiled by Frank Graham
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=88284397&postcount=375
203. Historical Atlas of Newcastle upon Tyne - M Barke and R J Buswell
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=88360716&postcount=376
204. Newcastle's Changing Map - M Barke and R J Buswell
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=88472652&postcount=387
205. Victorian Panorama: A visit to Newcastle in the Reign of Queen Victoria - Alan Morgan
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=88902185&postcount=401
206. Street Map of Newcastle - City of Newcastle upon Tyne
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=89261740&postcount=406
END of series.

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
....Newcastle 900.....

Book Three

Newcastle 900 - Railways.
Stuart Rankin and Michael Woods
British Rail Eastern Region

This is the third book in the Newcastle 900 series of Book Reviews from 1980.

An interesting small book about "the cradle of railways", as it describes Tyneside in its opening chapter.

Dobson's original design for the Neville Street frontage and Portico of Central Station, in 1850 . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
....Newcastle 900.....

Book Four

Newcastle upon Tyne through children's eyes.
The children from 19 different Newcastle Schools
Town Teacher

This is the fourth book in the Newcastle 900 series of Book Reviews from 1980.

I remember standing at the "900 Centre" in Chevy Chase in Eldon Square, back in 1980, looking long and hard at this book (I think I read most of it while I was there!) while deciding whether to buy it or not.

I didn't think I would find it very interesting, but I eventually bought it and was glad I did, when I read it properly.

The stories and drawings are all done by schoolchildren, from nineteen different Newcastle Schools, of an average age of 11. It is interesting to think that those children will now be (on average) 45 years of age . . . I wonder where they all are now.

Are any of them members of this forum, perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
....Newcastle 900.....

Book Five

Official Souvenir Programme - Newcastle 900.
Christopher Ashton and Brenda Jones
Northern Life Magazine

This is the fifth book in the Newcastle 900 series of Book Reviews from 1980.

This book is FULL of memories from the Newcastle 900 Year of 1980. Apart from numerous 'introductory articles' (some of which are included below as part of the 'Book Review') there is an event-by-event Diary of Events, covering the entire 900 Year.

That 'Diary' will be included as one of the general information and memories posts, in due course, on the Historic Newcastle thread.

For the Review on this thread, here are a few excerpts from the Newcastle 900 Programme . . .

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
....Newcastle 900.....

Book Six

Book Title: Newcastle 900
Author: Frank Graham
Publisher: Frnak Graham
ISBN: 0-85983-0845
Date Printed: 1980
Price : £1.95

An A4 sized paper backed publication running to 40 pages giving an overview of Newcastle upon Tyne from Roman times to the 19th century.

The usual Frank Graham fare with a mixture of drawings, paintings and maps together with pen histories of various notable figures, places and buildings.

Some scanned example pages:

Scans hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
...Newcastle 900...

Book Seven

Newcastle 900: A Portrait of Newcastle upon Tyne
David Bean
Newcastle upon Tyne City Council

This book is the seventh and last of the books that were specifically produced and published in 1980 as part of the "Newcastle 900" Celebrations that year.

I have left it to last in this short series of reviews on this thread, as it was intended by the City Council to be their 'premier' book published under the Newcastle 900 banner.

The book contains, primarily but not totally, photographs taken in 1980 specifically for the book.

In the preface, the book is described as . . . "To mark Newcastle 900, here is one man's chosen photographs and his impressions of Newcastle and it's history, development, and present-day life. This is not intended to be an 'official guide', it is an individuals own account of a highly individual city".

So, here is the book, Newcastle 900 . . .

1 - One of my favourite views of St Nicholas' Cathedral, looking up the stairs from Dean Street . .

2 - A 1980 interior view of the various stalls in part of the Grainger Market . .

3 - In 1980 it seemed like our CIVIC CENTRE had been open for a lifetime, but it had only opened in 1968, so was actually just 12 years old at the time . .

4 - The CENTRAL LIBRARY (bottom right) was a similar age to the Civic Centre, so was bright and new. It had been designed by SIR BASIL SPENCE, and no-one that I knew (in 1980) expected it to have such a relatively short lifespan ahead of it . .

5 - Finally, from this book, I just LOVE this photo showing the fabulous Grey Street "Rise and Curve".

It is not one of those many 'old images' of Grey Street, with horses going up and down it, it is a genuine "modern day" photo, with cars travelling along the street and LOTS of cars parked on both sides, all the way along it.

But HOW DIFFERENT it still manages to look to the streetscape of Grey Street today, in 2014.

So recognisable . . . so familiar . . . but also SO DIFFERENT . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
....Newcastle 900.....

ADVERTS - from various "Newcastle 900" publications (magazines, leaflets, pamphlets
and Guidebooks, etc) that were issued/published in the '900 year' of 1980.

Part Two

Here is a second set of adverts, taken from various Newcastle 900 publications from 1980.

These are some more from the "Exhibition 80 Commerce Industry and Finance" booklet, that was issued to visitors to Exhibition 80 in those big 'Airdomes' at the edge of the Newcastle University Precinct, facing Barras Bridge . . .

More ADVERTS from Newcastle 900 publications from 1980, will follow Part Three . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
....Newcastle 900.....

ADVERTS - from various "Newcastle 900" publications (magazines, leaflets, pamphlets

Part One

On the "BOOKS Thread" there is currently a series of Newcastle 900 Books being reviewed.

At the same time on the "Historic Newcastle" thread there will be a number of "Memories of Newcastle 900" posts, containing articles and information from various '900 Year publications' (other than BOOKS) about Newcastle as it was in 1980, as well as about our 'history up to 1980' and also about the many 'plans for the future of our City and Region' as they were envisaged in 1980.

Alongside both of those, here on the Adverts Thread, will be shown some (quite revealing of 'that era') adverts from various Newcastle 900 publications from 1980, starting here in 'Part One' with publications prepared for "Exhibition 80" in those big 'Airdomes' at the edge of the Newcastle University Precinct, facing Barras Bridge . . .

Interestingly (to me) the above gives a telephone extension at the Civic centre that was "Mrs NH's" at the time, when she was working on Exhibition 80, and Chris Hammer (named above) was her boss!

This first set of 1980s adverts comes from this Newcastle 900/Exhibition 80 publication . . .

More ADVERTS from 1980 will follow in Part Two . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
....Newcastle 900.....

Part Three

Here is a third (and final) set of adverts, taken from various Newcastle 900 publications from 1980 . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
...Newcastle 900...

MEMORIES of 'Newcastle 900', a celebration of the 900th Anniversary (1080-1980) of
Newcastle upon Tyne. The celebration took place throughout the entire year of 1980.

Part One

On the "BOOKS Thread" there is currently a series of Newcastle 900 Books being reviewed, while on the "OLD ADVERTS Thread" there are a number of posts showing (quite revealing of 'that era') local advertisements from various Newcastle 900 publications from 1980.

Here on the "HISTORIC NEWCASTLE" thread, there will now be a number of posts about Newcastle 900 itself, revealing a lot of information that was contained in some of the Newcastle 900 publications from that year (in addition to the books being covered on the BOOKS Thread) describing many aspects of Newcastle life in 1980. These articles can now be read from a more HISTORICAL perspective, here in 2014.

These posts will cover such issues as 'our history up to 1980' as it was seen and written about in 1980, as well as details of many 'current plans for the future of our City and Region' as they were envisaged that same year. Together on this thread, these posts should (seen some 34 years later, in 2014) provide us with a genuine historical snapshot of Newcastle as it was in that very significant '900th year' of 1980.

This first set of articles are all from the booklet "Commerce Industry & Finance, Exhibition 80" which is all about the 'Energy & Engineering' exhibition called "Exhibition 80" that took place in large Airdomes on Barras Bridge, from September 4th to 13th 1980 . . .

The above gives a telephone extension at the Civic centre that was "Mrs NH's" at the time, when she was working on Exhibition 80, and Chris Hammer (named above) was her boss.

Further MEMORIES OF NEWCASTLE 900, to follow in 'Part Two' . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
...Newcastle 900...

MEMORIES of 'Newcastle 900', a celebration of the 900th Anniversary (1080-1980) of
Newcastle upon Tyne. The celebration took place throughout the entire year of 1980.

Part Two

The second post in this series consists of an alphabetical LIST of all of the exhibitors who participated in those somewhat 'hot and sweaty tents' (as Mrs NH, who worked there remembers them) at Exhibition 80, from 4th to 13th September 1980.

The below extracts from the Official Exhibition 80 publication, gives a LOT of detail about each of those participating businesses, and forms a snapshot of the businesses that were in the 'Energy and Engineering' field, in Newcastle and the North East, at that point in time.

A genuinely 'historical record' of that particular business activity in this area, as it was in 1980 . . .

Further MEMORIES OF NEWCASTLE 900 will follow in Part Three . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
...Newcastle 900...

Part Three

This third post in the series of 'Memories of Newcastle 900 Year' consists of a complete "event by event" list of planned 900 Events, that took place throughout the entire length of 1980.

This will, I'm sure, spark off a few personal memories amongst those of us who were lucky enough to enjoy that amazing year, and who may have participated in and attended some of the events listed!

Further MEMORIES OF NEWCASTLE 900 will follow in Part Four . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
....Newcastle 900.....

Part Four

This fourth set of Newcastle 900 Memories is all about "The Newcastle 900 Military Tattoo" of 15th to 20th September 1980 . . .

A spectacular event in a fantastic setting. Myself and Mrs NH attended one of these, and it was a very enjoyable occasion.

All the above a scans of my own items, books, pamphlets, leaflets, etc.

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
...Newcastle 900...

Part Five

Here is another selection of 'memories' from Newcastle 900 year, this time from another series of articles that were published in various Newcastle 900 booklets, leaflets and magazines in 1980.

These articles, all written in 1980, show how some of the important locations and activities in our region were being seen at that time. Most of these (eg, Newcastle Airport, The Metro, etc) are just as important and relevant today in 2014.

This fifth set of memories from 1980 are all from the booklet "Commerce Industry & Finance, Exhibition 80" which was primarily about the 'Energy & Engineering' exhibition called "Exhibition 80" that took place in large Airdomes on Barras Bridge, from September 4th to 13th 1980.

Hence, they are all 'business related' articles . . .

The above is the fifth post in the series of articles and other memories of/from the Newcastle 900 year of 1980.

Here are the links to the previous four posts in the series . .

Further Memories from NEWCASTLE 900 YEAR will follow in 'Part Six' . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
...Newcastle 900...

Part Six

Here is another selection of 'memories' from Newcastle 900 year, from another series of articles that were published in various Newcastle 900 booklets, leaflets and magazines in 1980.

This sixth set of memories from 1980 are mostly from the booklet "Commerce Industry & Finance, Exhibition 80" which was primarily about the 'Energy & Engineering' exhibition called "Exhibition 80" that took place in large Airdomes on Barras Bridge, from September 4th to 13th 1980 . . .

Further Memories from NEWCASTLE 900 YEAR will follow in 'Part Seven' . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
...Newcastle 900...

Part Seven

Here is (yet) another selection of memories from Newcastle 900 year, from a series of articles that were published in various Newcastle 900 booklets, leaflets and magazines in 1980.

This seventh set of memories from 1980 have been taken from the following three publications . . .

1 - Newcastle 900 Official Souvenir Programme
2 - Newcastle 900 Ideal Home Exhibition (August 14th-25th 1980) Programme
3 - Newcastle 900 Festival of Music & Arts (Sept/Oct/Nov 1980) Official programme

Part EIGHT to follow . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
...Newcastle 900...

Part Eight

The Newcastle 900 "ANNIVERSARY CENTRE" in Chevy Chase . . .

Well, we are moving towards the end of the Newcastle 900 story, only a few more posts to go. This eighth post in the series moves away from the style of the last few posts (which showed articles written in 1980 that revealed how major institutions like Newcastle Poly, Port of Tyne, etc, were "being seen" at that time) to one of showing aspects of the actual "Newcastle 900 Celebrations" themselves.

A major part of the celebrations was the "Anniversary Centre" in Chevy Chase.

I remember spending a LOT of time at the 900 Anniversary Centre during 1980. They were selling a lot of books, magazines and general Newcastle 900 souvenirs of all sorts, and my thin-budget had to be stretched to enable me to acquire all of the items that I fancied :)

For me, 1980 was the first year I can ever remember where there were so many new books and other items all new and all available, about our great City. There had been nothing like it before! You could get some of the Newcastle 900 stuff all over the City (bookshops, Department Stores, etc) but far and away the best place was at the Anniversary Centre.

The Anniversary Centre was in a very prominent area of Chevy Chase near the entrance to Boots, and in order to be located there the previous "sunken seating area" (seen in many photos on this forum) that had been there since the opening of 'Phase Two' of Eldon Square in September 1976, had to be filled in and the structure built on top of it. I did hope the Centre could be retained after 1980 as a normal Newcastle Souvenirs / Tourist Information shop, but (though I did suggest it to the City Council 'Information & Publicity' Department) it was not to be.

Anyway, it was (in 1980) a place where you could 'buy memories' and now here are a few memories of it itself (in 2014) some 34 years later . . .

Here, from a 1980 edition of the Evening Chronicle, is the "list of souvenirs" (well, the 'ceramic' ones anyaway) that could be bought in the 900 Centre . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
...Newcastle 900...

Part Nine

The Newcastle 900 LOGO

One of my most abiding memories of the Newcastle 900 year of 1980, is the very colourful LOGO.

There are MANY examples of the Newcastle 900 Logo in use, so I have split them into two posts. This is the FIRST of the two posts.

In 1980, the LOGO was absolutely everywhere . . .

A typical street scene, with Newcastle 900 banners hanging from every lamp post. This one is Northumberland Street . .

Another street scene, EVEN during all the works on Clayton Street West, as the Crown Hotel becomes new flats that year . .

At the Civic Centre, during the Newcastle 900 Tattoo . .

Do you want to post a letter?

My favourite photo, quite often used on this forum, Chevy Chase FULL of banners . .

An 'enlargement' of part of my favourite photo . .

On Christmas Cards . .

On Leather Bookmarks . .

On Souvenir Pin Badges . .

On Mugs . .

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
...Newcastle 900...

Part Ten

The Newcastle 900 LOGO

One of my most abiding memories of the Newcastle 900 year of 1980, is the very colourful LOGO.

There are MANY examples of the Newcastle 900 Logo in use, so I have split them into two posts. This is the SECOND of the two posts.

In 1980, the LOGO was absolutely everywhere . . .

On the official Newcastle 900 headed paper . .

On the back of the Newcastle 900 Plate (the front of plate shown also) . .

On all the many Newcastle 900 books, magazines, leaflets and programmes, etc . .

A 'million' LOGOS all over the cover of this booklet . .

On many of the popular 'Copper Engravings' of that era . .

On Beer Mats . .

On Beer!

On the 'Newcastle 900' Rally car . .

Around the "Newcastle 900 Anniversary Centre" in the Eldon Square Shopping Centre . .

AND finally, all over the various Malls of the Eldon Square Shopping Centre . .

In fact it was JUST EVERYWHERE . . .

21 - 40 of 66 Posts