SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 544 Posts

·
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a LOT of things that can go into a thread about "Newcastle as it might have been" or "The Newcastle that never was" . . . call it what you like.

Not all of them are from the dim-distant-past either, some are remarkably recent!

However, just so that we catch them all on this thread (eventually) I will start off by posting a few that you may have missed, that have cropped up already, on some of the other threads on here . .

1906 PLANS BY JAMES CACKETT

Here's a partial scan of an image of the 1906 plan by James Cackett for new streets and buildings in Newcastle.

Also, there are plans for an exhibition on the theme of 'Newcastle as it Might Have Been' to be held next spring at the Newcastle Arts Centre.

1925 PLANS BY ROBERT BURNS DICK

1962 PLANS FOR THE GOSFORTH AREA

1966 PLANS FOR THE TOWN MOOR

1971 PLANS FOR 12 'ALL SAINTS OFFICE BLOCKS' ON THE QUAYSIDE

1960s PLAN FOR THE NEW CITY CENTRE

1980s PLANS FOR 'NORTHUMBRIA TV' STUDIOS, AT MANORS GOODS YARD

1945, THE FIRST POST-WAR PLANS FOR A NEW CITY CENTRE

1970s PLANS FOR 'CATHEDRAL GARDENS' ON OLD TOWN HALL SITE

1885 - PLANS FOR A NEW NEWCASTLE TOWN HALL

So . . Something of an "amazing collection" of items to start off our thread on NEWCASTLE AS IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN . . .

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
it's crazy that people were so serious about demolishing grey street and grainger street that they got to the stage of drawing up detailed plans.

·
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's crazy that people were so serious about demolishing grey street and grainger street that they got to the stage of drawing up detailed plans.
Toally agree, wish I could go back in time and tell them what complete numpties they were.
One interesting fact to emerge from my research into all these plans (to demolish Grey Street etc) is that one person who is on the record for NOT wanting to do so, and who in fact saved the former Bank of England / HSBC building on Grey Street from demolition and replacement with a tower block, was . .

T Dan Smith.

Who most people would suspect of exactly the opposite!

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
That first picture looks like the area east of Northumberland Street (going by the little church at the top), if it was then God I wish that plan had came true... It would have really complemented Grainger Town and made Newcastle up there with Edinburgh and Bath for it's classical style city centre.

·
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That first picture looks like the area east of Northumberland Street (going by the little church at the top), if it was then God I wish that plan had came true... It would have really complemented Grainger Town and made Newcastle up there with Edinburgh and Bath for it's classical style city centre.
Yes, it looks like it would have virtually 'doubled' the size of the civilised and architectural City Centre, in an eastward direction!

er . . I wonder what would have happened when the "urge" to build the Central Motorway East came along (as it would still have) a few years later??

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Eldon Square as it might have turned out (I think this is pretty conceptual, rather than anything drawn up by Arne Jacobsen):

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
A different view of the hotel. It would have been 30 storeys high, clad in glass and bronzed aluminium. Just imagine it catching the rays of the setting sun (or indeed the rising sun) - it would have been a spectacular landmark. Instead, Chapman Taylor and their brick walls. Ah, well.

·
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Eldon Square as it might have turned out (I think this is pretty conceptual, rather than anything drawn up by Arne Jacobsen):

Ah yes, the old 'Arne Jacobsen Hotel' proposals. I was never quite convinced about that idea, myself! Don't know why.

Interestingly, the hotel looks "all glass" in this model, so this was probably just 'conceptual', as well.

I got this picture from the 1960s "City Centre Markets Scheme" booklet, and the model in the picture also shows the new (proposed) 'Green Market Hall', which also looks to have been planned to be largely made out of glass!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

I think in this a lot of the streets running east from northumberland street were actually built - ridley place, northumberland road, saville row, ellison place, lovaine place and so on, nice georgian/victorian streets partially demolished for john dobson street and improvements near the motorway. seems like this plan was anticipating JDS but in a smaller more classic fashion. the bulk of the new buildings seem to be the municipal buildings, the two blocks east of that, and a new frontage opposite the Laing on i think higham place.

·
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I think in this a lot of the streets running east from northumberland street were actually built - ridley place, northumberland road, saville row, ellison place, lovaine place and so on, nice georgian/victorian streets partially demolished for john dobson street and improvements near the motorway. seems like this plan was anticipating JDS but in a smaller more classic fashion. the bulk of the new buildings seem to be the municipal buildings, the two blocks east of that, and a new frontage opposite the Laing on i think higham place.
Actually, in this plan, the area we now call 'EPS', looks quite grand.

The more you study this layout, the more interesting it becomes, in fact!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Maybe its due to lack of sleep BUT that map has got me totally lost - cant make any sense of it. Can someobody be so kind as to point some street out - for example what street is that with the semi circular building towards the bottom left?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
the building with the tower would be where the odeon block is now, and the rest is behind that to the east, where john dobson street is now. immediately right of the tower you can see the old pearl assurance house, and sloping along from that, the library, and then the tower of the Laing.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
the building with the tower would be where the odeon block is now, and the rest is behind that to the east, where john dobson street is now. immediately right of the tower you can see the old pearl assurance house, and sloping along from that, the library, and then the tower of the Laing.
huh...you lost me even more with that. Could you MSpaint something into it?

1 - 20 of 544 Posts