SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
OK, here's one that I reckon many will not have seen before!

They are fairly recent too . . .

The June 1999 Gallowgate/Percy Street plans that never happened . . .

NO 'Time Central' or 'Wellbar Central' in these grand plans!!

Interesting proposals - Im very happy with what we have now (Wellbar and Time Central) though i would not mind the Barclays building being replaced

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
^^
Following on from the above, this morning (I am in the middle of a big re-organisation of some of my filing systems here, so I keep 'coming across' things!) I have literally just discovered this 'different' sketch of what looks like those same (or very similar) plans . . this time with 'Wellbar House' seemingly still there (refurbished I assume) and with the addition of a 'super tall' looking HOTEL at the St James Metro site, right next to the station itself!

This version was in the Journal of only about a month later on 6th July 1999. This time the plans were posted under the heading "UNITED plan landmark hotel on City Site" . . .

. . . . .

.............................. ....................................................

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
Interesting stuff there NH !

I was aware that NUFC had proposed a Hotel on the site but the plans were almost immediately refused and subsequently scrapped.

I have to say I liked the idea of the tree lined boulevard down to Percy St, and the sooner that bloody awful Metro site is re-developed the better :eek:hno:

Would have been interesting the see what they had in mind for the complete refurb of the original Wellbar House. Although looking at how it's replacement turned i'm sure nobody will be complaining :cheers:

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
Keeping up to speed with everyone else's postings today:lol: here's the second of my promised mini-series on "Space-Age Newcastle'. The date is 1972 if everyone recalls, although the project did not appear to have had an expected conclusion date.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
YUCK! thank god all saints never got beyond what it is now. mind you the existing buildings are a slight on the church itself, not worthy of sharing the same name.

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Keeping up to speed with everyone else's postings today:lol: here's the second of my promised mini-series on "Space-Age Newcastle'. The date is 1972 if everyone recalls, although the project did not appear to have had an expected conclusion date.
EXCELLENT photo funky!

The original plan was for TWELVE office blocks as part of the All Saints Office Complex stretching from the Tyne Bridge down to the Quayside (as shown in your picture) and absolutely surrounding poor old Custom House at 39 Quayside. The fate of Custom House can be seen in your picture, it is the 'small' building on the Quayside with three big office blocks either side of it.

Fortunately though, only three 'All Saints' office blocks were ever built!

LINKS to other information on the 'All Saints Office Complex' that you will find interesting . . .

Post 1 'this thread' - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46683947&postcount=1

Post 85 'Gen Knowledge' thread - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46587667&postcount=85

Again, thanks for those scans, I am regretting very much that I (as I mentioned before) never got that book when I had the chance all those years ago!!

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
EXCELLENT photo funky!

The original plan was for TWELVE office blocks as part of the All Saints Office Complex stretching from the Tyne Bridge down to the Quayside (as shown in your picture) and absolutely surrounding poor old Custom House at 39 Quayside. The fate of Custom House can be seen in your picture, it is the 'small' building on the Quayside with three big office blocks either side of it.

Fortunately though, only three 'All Saints' office blocks were ever built!

LINKS to other information on the 'All Saints Office Complex' that you will find interesting . . .

Post 1 'this thread' - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46683947&postcount=1

Post 85 'Gen Knowledge' thread - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46587667&postcount=85

Again, thanks for those scans, I am regretting very much that I (as I mentioned before) never got that book when I had the chance all those years ago!!
As a cinema buff, I'm posting at the moment on the 'Fictionally Destroyed Cities in the Movies' thread in the Architecture forum in the international section of SSC.

Do you think I could post this one up for Newcastle and people might think it really happened?:banana:

I've got the Claremont Road motorway 'vision' coming up in a few days time. As I mentioned to Maxtoon earlier in the week its an A3 size posting so it might have to be in two postings unless i can squeeze it in somehow.

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the triangular shape of Time Central precicely to allow for the eventual creation of a pedestrian route from the junction with Percy St up to the stadium, as envisaged in these plans?
^^
Following on from the above, this morning I have literally just discovered this 'different' sketch of what looks like those same (or very similar) plans . . this time with 'Wellbar House' seemingly still there (refurbished I assume) and with the addition of a 'super tall' looking HOTEL at the St James Metro site, right next to the station itself! This version was in the Journal of only about a month later on 6th July 1999. This time the plans were posted under the heading "UNITED plan landmark hotel on City Site" . . .

. . . . .

.............................. ....................................................

Even if (as Andrew says) the triangular shape of Time Central is designed to allow for the eventual creation of a pedestrian route from the junction with Percy St up to the stadium, I don't see how that can now work.

Unless the IBM building on the corner is redeveloped, and that seems unlikely.

The 'tree lined pedestrian route' and the 'glass atrium Metro station' are both great ideas though!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
andrew is correct. the gap between gallowgate flame and sainsburys is a public right of way and is intended as a pedestrian route along the back of time central to st james.it was also intended to create access by the ciu labour club

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I'm not talking about the gap between the Gallowgate Flame and Sainsburys, I'm talking about the "Tree-line walkway planned from Percy Street to Gallowgate" as it's labelled on the plans above. And yes, it would necessitate the redevelopment of the IBM building, it's quite clear from the plans above that that was always intended, but as you say it's probably not likely in the short term.

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #191 (Edited)
The Swan House Luxury Hotel.
. . . that never happened!

Those of you who visit the "Test your Newcastle GENERAL KNOWLEDGE" thread, will be familiar with these extravagant plans, but they definitely deserve to be posted on here also! 55 Degrees North (as we now know Swan House) would never have happened, if this 1999 plan had gone ahead . .

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
My goodness, that would have been one ugly beast of a building, I think I even prefer Swan House!
I would like to have seen another view (particularly of the 'front') of the proposals before making my mind up.

The view above, is the only one I remember seeing though.

·
The Legend
13,107 Posts
That glass box for the Metro station at SJP and the hotel should in my opinion still be considerd. Aswell as the public area around the Metro station. It would also be great for if SJP was ever to be expanded to 60k, also having a giant screen TV for events like World Cup's, Euro's, Olympics, and maybe future success for NUFC could be screened live there, aswell as events on match days aswell. It would bring that whole area alive.

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
^^ Agree FULLY with all of that.

Hopefully the eventual build on the Metro Station can at least include some elements of this plan.

The 'bringing of life' to that area, is the thing I like the most in what Chris said!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
if anyone is interested the plan for the tree lined path is part of the robinson landscape design plan for this area (and can be seen on their website) and shows the access routes to it.this site has plans rather than those concept drawings which are a bit misleading.ibm house will not be going unfortunately.

·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
if anyone is interested the plan for the tree lined path is part of the robinson landscape design plan for this area (and can be seen on their website) and shows the access routes to it.this site has plans rather than those concept drawings which are a bit misleading.ibm house will not be going unfortunately.
Is this the page on the 'Robinson Lanscape Design' website that you mean? IE, the landscaping proposed for around the 'Strawberry Place' development?

http://www.robinsonlandscapedesign.co.uk/pages/gallery/preliminary-sketches-01176.php

Remember, the 'Gallowgate tree-lined path' that I put up, is from 1999, so it is a different plan, unless I haven't found the correct page on the Robinson website yet? I couldn't find anything from 1999 on there.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
yes thats right-this obviously evolved from the concept drawings which never materialised into an planning application in any detail i believe. at the consultation stage of strawberry place it was clear the only existing public right of way is the access by gallowgate flame and even the gap further up is not presently officially a public access although planned as vehicle access to a hotel. direct access onto percy street remained "aspirational"-unfortunately. at least this new plan keeps something of the of the gist of the 1999 drawings and would improve on whats there currently.

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
Here's the last of the present 'Space-Age' Newcastle postings (until I find some more!) regarding the projected Los Angeles freeway network that Newcastle hoped to get /did not/only partly got in the early 1970's.

Its ended up getting done in two A4 parts after all: I need my sleep! LOL

The idea is one is supposed to visually super-impose the diagram on top of the photo which, quite sophisticatedly for those days, the scale was drawn to match.

Up until last year i did have a local family printing firm who used to print these diagram thingys onto A4 OHP film for next-to-nothing so I could have scanned one on top of the other (everyone with me so far?) but now they have closed for good, and without going into the regional city centre and spending a fortune at Ryman's there's no-one here this side of Birmingham (including me) who knows how to put in an A4 plastic into a copier..

181 - 200 of 544 Posts