SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 544 Posts

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
^^^^^^

Great stuff there Funkydory .. That arial photo is spectacular :cheers:

Those urban motorway plans are just plain ridiculous. A 'grade seperated' western motorway into the Haymarket .. just what we needed :eek:hno:

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
"A Bridge Too Far" (in MY opinion).
Does anyone remember this 1993 plan?

Thankfully, we are covering this planned bridge on the 'As it might have been' thread, as I think that another bridge across one of our City Centre streets (Newgate Street in this case) would have been one too many. I think there are already too many, actually!

One point in its favour though, is that "perhaps" this bridge may have saved the Co-op Department Store from closing, by (effectively) making it part of Eldon Square?

You never know!

·
The Legend
13,116 Posts
The last few days I have been thinking about what if Eldon Square bought the Gate and created a bridge over to the gate via debenhams. Ofcourse it would greatly increase the over all size of ES, and add on if ES bought out Eldon Gardens then surely it would become the biggest shopping/liesure centre in the UK.

So reading this is kind of interesting to me.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
The last few days I have been thinking about what if Eldon Square bought the Gate and created a bridge over to the gate via debenhams. Ofcourse it would greatly increase the over all size of ES, and add on if ES bought out Eldon Gardens then surely it would become the biggest shopping/liesure centre in the UK.

So reading this is kind of interesting to me.
that actually was a proposal for the Gate when it was first proposed. glad it didnt happen. i think newcastle has too much interior mall space as it is, and rather than adding more, cutting out streets for elevated walkways, we shuold be bringing some down and restoring open air streets. hopefully ESS will be the last of its kind.

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
"A Bridge Too Far" (in MY opinion).
Does anyone remember this 1993 plan?

Thankfully, we are covering this planned bridge on the 'As it might have been' thread, as I think that another bridge across one of our City Centre streets (Newgate Street in this case) would have been one too many. I think there are already too many, actually!

One point in its favour though, is that "perhaps" this bridge may have saved the Co-op Department Store from closing, by (effectively) making it part of Eldon Square?

You never know!
Would you have been in favour of this bridge Chris? Do you not think these (obviously not originally there) type of bridges, really 'cut up' and damage the streetscape?

·
The Legend
13,116 Posts
No, I think the Old Coop sotre needs to be a stand alone store, cutting a hole in the middle of it and putting a large object coming out of it is just a horrible idea. I would though be in favour of a bridge to ESS and the Gate though, since both have a glas front and are from a similar time line it would work better, and could possibly mean not as many people would have to cross that road which will eventually become like Blackett St with buses just roaring through regardless of people passing.

It coulkd also help to keep people interested in shopping after 5pm if they can then easily go into the gate for something to eat, go the cinema's etc.

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
It's amazing though, isn't it, the number of "plans" that come along from time to time and never see the light of day!!

They are all taken so seriously 'at the time' . . then forgotten!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
One thing I think could possibly work is a lightweight glass bridge from ESS to The Gate, and then knock through from The Gate to the Co-op building inside. I don't know how closely the floor levels line up, but I would have thought it was possible. The co-op could then become a more upmarket mall/department store (what I gather Eldon Garden was originally meant to be but is a total failure). I would then like to see Eldon Garden (or at least the bridge bit of it) demolished in order to open up Percy Street.

The bridge could be like this one in Manchester:

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
I've always thought that Percy st is terribly 'closed in' with the Eldon Garden bridge. however, that bridge in Manchester is a bloody monstrosity ...

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I've always thought that Percy st is terribly 'closed in' with the Eldon Garden bridge. however, that bridge in Manchester is a bloody monstrosity ...

Both the 'Eldon Gardens' bridge and the 'bridge over Blackett Street' (originally Hennes) have both been built as SHOPS, that just happen to be built with a road underneath, rather than just as a bridge (like the Manchester one) in the accepted sense.

Hence, they are MUCH more substantial, and (as you say maxtoon) create much more of a closed-in feeling, as they are that much more substantial.

As such (the fact that they are 'buildings' rather than 'bridges') the mentioned two, here in Newcastle, are far more likely to be permanent blots on our landscape, than the simple bridge in Manchester might be, sadly.

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
I am planning to do a series on Newcastle United and their unrealised stadium proposals . . . starting with the grand proposals of 1997!

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Newcastle United FC : New Stadium Plans.
No. 1 - The 1997 Proposals . . .

There have been many proposals over the years (and over the centuries!) for Newcastle United Football Club to either build a new stadium at St James' Park, or to build a new stadium elsewhere.

These various proposals are clearly ideal "Newcastle as it might have been" articles, for inclusion on this thread.

Just to be different, this time I thought I would start with the most recent set of unrealised plans, and work my way backwards.

So, here is No. 1 . . . the 1997 proposals to build a new stadium a few hundred yards away from St James' Park, on "Castle Leazes Moor".

To get a CLEAR idea of where this stadium was to be built. At the top of this aerial photo, Castle Leazes Moor and St James' Park, can both be seen . .

Here are the clubs plans (seen from above) for the new stadium on Castle Leazes Moor on the left, with the (St James' Park cut-in-half) St James' Centre, shown on the right . .

A view of the proposed new stadium, at the 'South East' corner, nearest to Leazes Park lake . .

Another view of the proposed 'Castle Leazes Moor' stadium . .

This sketch shows the proposed 'Leazes Way' walkway through the enlarged Leazes Park, that would have lead from the new "St James Centre" (proposed indoor stadium on site of St James Park) to the new stadium on Castle Leazes Moor . .

Another sketch of the proposed stadium, from Leazes park . .

The "ST JAMES' CENTRE" . . . was an important part of the overall plan. This was to be an indoor stadium on the site of the current St James' Park. The South Stand and South West corner would remain as they were, the East and Milburn stands would be demolished, and the Sir John Hall stand and corners would be dismantled and re-erected closer to the remaining 'South Stand', to form the indoor stadium . . as shown, with the building over Strawberry Place linking to the 'new build' over St James' Park Metro Station . .

One of the envisaged advantages of the 'reduced size' St James' Park/Centre, to the immediate area, would be the extended Leazes Park, as shown here where it is overlooked by Leazes Terrace, at the point where the demolished 'East Stand' used to be . .

Now, the above plans and proposals, in the clubs own words at the time, from their "Newcastle United Football Club VISION STATEMENT" . . .

Interesting stuff, eh . . ?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Greedy capitalist plays 'Geordie Nation' card in bid to get his hands on valuable public open space for coppers; has some success in gaining support from craven and/or corrupt councillors and senior Freemen; gets arse kicked for his pains. Pisses off to Spain and sells club to an even dodgier character. Fin.

·
21,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Greedy capitalist plays 'Geordie Nation' card in bid to get his hands on valuable public open space for coppers; has some success in gaining support from craven and/or corrupt councillors and senior Freemen; gets arse kicked for his pains. Pisses off to Spain and sells club to an even dodgier character. Fin.
I am just presenting the facts of a very interesting major "as it might have been" proposal!!

201 - 220 of 544 Posts