SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 545 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
Here is a bridge across the Tyne, that never happened . . .

Has anyone seen this one before?

Anyway, what do you think of this plan from 1828, that would have been built instead of the High Level Bridge?

If it had been built, it MIGHT still have been there today!

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #263 (Edited)
^^

Except that the stone bridge it was built on top of has long gone! I can't imagine, if it had been built, that it would still be there today, because of how old the original bridge it was to be built up from was. Anyway, I think we got the best deal, as I think the High Level Bridge (that we got instead) is a 'masterpiece'.

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
Coincidentally, where I live in Heaton is pretty close to one of the original football grounds of the two clubs that made up Newcastle United. Newcastle East End's ground was opposite the Chillingham Arms on Chilli Road i.e. the site that's now occupied by some horrible Persimmon Homes flats.
I always thought that the Newcastle East End ground was behind the shops at the junction of Newton Road and Cragside,High Heaton.Pretty sure there is still a football pitch on the site.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
The proposed MILLENIUM SQUARE and ORACLE . . . as planned
in the 1990s, prior to the building of The Centre For Life.

This was also a recent QUESTION on the 'General Knowledge' thread . .

NB - in the PLANS at the top of this page, you can see the first planned location for the Regional Music Centre, that eventually became 'The Sage' on Gateshead Quays. Here, it is shown on its original favoured site of Gallowgate Coach Station, where the 'Citygate' office blocks now are.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
^^

Re the Regional Music Centre . . on the 'General Knowledge' thread, Greg confirmed the original proposed location of 'The Sage', as being Gallowgate Coach Station, as shown in the above plans . .

The "regional music centre" was offered to Newcastle, to be located on the Gallowgate bus station site, but the (then Labour) council took the view that it was "too risky", and as a result Gateshead took the opportunity, which as noted has probably enhanced both as a result.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Acording to my step father who told me about the stadium in Byker, based on his description that he gave me, and google maps, I have came to the conclusion that the stadium would of been built on a brown field site next to Foos Way and Turnstall Avenue, though I maybe wrong.
I remember a newspaper article that listed, with photos, all of these potential sites.

Now, all I have to do is find it!!

FOUND IT . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always thought that the Newcastle East End ground was behind the shops at the junction of Newton Road and Cragside,High Heaton.Pretty sure there is still a football pitch on the site.
That'll be Heaton Stannington FC you're thinking of. I don't think that it ever had anything to do with East End - don't forget that there wasn't a lot round there in the 1880s...

·
King of Bernicia
1,225 Posts
Odd, I never knew Newcastle were planning to move once upon a time. Interesting. The St.James area looks so spacious...and Newcastle fans seem to make a huge deal about being the only team with its stadium in the city centre (which isn't true)
Wonder what would have happened at St.James if it had gone.

Centre for life- good they do go with that route. The life centre is pointless and I've no clue what it is but I like Digital.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
FOUND IT . . .

My search for the above led me to a very large collection of newspaper articles from 1996/1997 about . .

(1) The proposed move to Castle Leazes Moor, and
(2) The "fight to keep Newcastle United in Newcastle" (as it was portrayed) as some of the sites (not mentioned in the above article actually) were outside the City Boundary.

There was SUCH a lot of newspaper articles and headlines about all of these issues at the time, FAR TOO MANY for me to scan in as 'readable scans', so (to give just a little bit of the flavour of what was going on 14 years ago) I have photographed a few 'groups' of some of the newspaper articles . . .

The Evening Chronicle of Wednesday July 7th 1996, even gave us all a game of "Snakes and Ladders" to play!! . . .

They were 'interesting days' indeed!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Fascinating post NH - thanks for sharing.

Have to say £65 Million sounds like a pretty canny price like, i know it was over 10 years ago BUT still thats cheap (relatively speaking)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like the comment on the planning process on the snakes and ladders board - "Inquiry shown picture of Tony Blair playing head tennis with Kevin Keegan" straight onto "Planning Inquiry backs club"! :lol:

I also didn't realise that the relocation would have really improved the setting of Leazes Terrace. Though I must admit I'm still dubious about locating it on Leazes park/moor.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)
I also didn't realise that the relocation would have really improved the setting of Leazes Terrace. Though I must admit I'm still dubious about locating the stadium on Leazes park/moor.
Leazes Terrace certainly looks a LOT better in this sketch of the proposals, but whether it would have looked as good in reality, we will never know!

·
The Legend
13,173 Posts
Interesting posts there NH, that last image looks pretty good for Leazers Park. It's amazing though how the stadium would only of cost £65m to build, your lucky to get one built for £300m these days and we are only 14 years down the line.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Here's another city centre plan - this one by the architect Robert Burns Dick in the mid-1920s. If you look closely you can see the Tyne Bridge 'arch' that NH posted a while ago shown in outline, just below where the railway crosses the northern approach of the Tyne Bridge. Burns Dick was a partner of James Cackett, whose own earlier 1906 plan is also on this thread.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #278 (Edited)
Here's another city centre plan - this one by the architect Robert Burns Dick in the mid-1920s. If you look closely you can see the Tyne Bridge 'arch' that NH posted a while ago shown in outline, just below where the railway crosses the northern approach of the Tyne Bridge. Burns Dick was a partner of James Cackett, whose own earlier 1906 plan is also on this thread.

Excellent map Wilf.

Hey, that would have been a great Civic Centre area, very GRAND, don't you think?

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Newcastle United FC : New Stadium Plans.
No. 2 - The 1972 Proposals . . .

NB
- Part 1, 1997, can be seen HERE : Newcastle and the North East - "As it might have...
and also HERE : Newcastle and the North East - "As it might have...

In 1972 we were presented with a detailed and comprehensive set of proposals to demolish the entire ground, and rebuild a 'uniform stand' (seats upstairs with standing in front) all the way around the ground.

Effectively, what was being proposed in 1972, was to build (what became the following year) the new East Stand all the way around St James Park, looking the same architecturally from outside as well as in, with some possible differences in the 'West Stand' area.

Here is the full set of "as it might have been" proposals, from 1972 . . .

Then, when we all assembled for the start of the 72/73 season on 12th August 1972, this was the front cover of our "new style" Match Programme . .

Inside the programme, the state of play with the development was explained . .

AS history shows, it was only the 'East Stand' of these proposals, that was ever built, and it didn't even cover the full length of the old Popular Side.

The rest of these proposals were quietly dropped, which was later said to be because of lack of money.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
On the same theme, here's a 1968 proposal by the City Council (based on ideas by Dan Smith in the earlier 1960s) for a football stadium and sports centre to be jointly run bu NUFC, the City Council, and Newcastle University. It would have included an 82 ft swimming pool, diving and learner pools, two gymnasiums, 13 squash courts and two fives courts. As NH's images show, the idea was ditched in late 1969.

261 - 280 of 545 Posts