SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 549 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Newcastle United FC : New Stadium Plans.
No. 2 - The 1972 Proposals . . .

NB - Part 1, 1997, can be seen HERE : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=53090947&postcount=218
and also HERE : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=53470089&postcount=272

In 1972 we were presented with a detailed and comprehensive set of proposals to demolish the entire ground, and rebuild a 'uniform stand' (seats upstairs with standing in front) all the way around the ground.

Effectively, what was being proposed in 1972, was to build (what became the following year) the new East Stand all the way around St James Park, looking the same architecturally from outside as well as in, with some possible differences in the 'West Stand' area.

Here is the full set of "as it might have been" proposals, from 1972 . . .

Then, when we all assembled for the start of the 72/73 season on 12th August 1972, this was the front cover of our "new style" Match Programme . .

Inside the programme, the state of play with the development was explained . .

AS history shows, it was only the 'East Stand' of these proposals, that was ever built, and it didn't even cover the full length of the old Popular Side.

The rest of these proposals were quietly dropped, which was later said to be because of lack of money.

Please accept my apologies if you have been trying to "access" this post for the last hour and a half, since it first appeared!

I have had a lot of trouble (for some reason) with Photobucket tonight, with some of the 'embedded images' embedding themselves into my post at a MASSIVE SIZE!!

It has taken me all that time, and 'any number of amendments' to get them to all work properly. This has never happened before, I don't know why it has tonight??

Hopefully the version you see above is now 100% all the same size (and I'm now going for a bl*ody rest!!)

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
^^^^

Great post NH .. really interesting read.

Incidentally, do you have the full program from the Wolves game in 1972? be interested to see the squad line up etc :eek:kay:

I think Joe Harvey was the manager back then with Bobby Moncur, Viv Busby etc , possibly even Malcolm Macdonald in the squad.

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #285 (Edited)
^^^^

Great post NH .. really interesting read.

Incidentally, do you have the full program from the Wolves game in 1972? be interested to see the squad line up etc :eek:kay:

I think Joe Harvey was the manager back then with Bobby Moncur, Viv Busby etc , possibly even Malcolm Macdonald in the squad.

No sooner said than done!!

The back cover with the team lists on. Note that Terry Hibbitt was in our team, and his brother Kenny Hibbitt was in the Wolves team!

We won 2-1 and John Tudor got one of the goals, and I can't remember who got the other . .

The INSIDE back cover, as it was the first match of the season, had the 'Team Photo', for that season . .

Looking at this photo (first time for a long time!) is quite interesting for me, seeing "David Young" there, in the back row.

A couple of years later, he was to become my landlord, of a very damp rented flat in Holly Avenue, Jesmond, from 1975 to 1976 (the rent was £42.50 a month!!)

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
Thanks NH :eek:kay:

What a squad .. and how can I forget goal machine John Tudor

btw, note the length of the grass on the team photo !

oh, and all for 7p :nuts:

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
Thanks NH :eek:kay:

What a squad .. and how can I forget goal machine John Tudor

btw, note the length of the grass on the team photo !

oh, and all for 7p :nuts:
Note the length of the hair too! They don't often carry THAT much weight around with them nowadays:banana:

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
And here's the Wolverhampton Wanderers team they were facing.

Actually, its the 1908 team, but the only one that won against Newcastle in a Cup Final???

Anyway, it gives me the chance to show the frontage of the Newcastle ground in that year. Educational local history and that.

Here's the team on the way to Crystal Palace for the final.

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
A couple of miscellaneous details (but interesting) that were revealed by the above report on the 1972 proposals . .

(1) How very close to the ground the new CMW (Central Motorway West) was going to be!

(2) That 1972 (Season 72/73) was to be the very first season that "adverts" were to appear in and around the ground and pitch.

·
dE/dm
2,402 Posts
'Botanic Bridge' proposal

Another one for the 'scrapbook':

Proposal in 2003 for a new bridge over the A167 designed by Wilkinson Eyre. The whole plans would 'incorporate on hectare of landscaped garden with research and educational facilities located at either side of the A167 linked by a unique green bridge' 'The concrete, soil filled bridge would span 50m and have a lightweight glazed shell, with a humid tropical zone at the heart of the building with arid zones either side. The 12m high glasshouse would include walkways through the exibits'

Any ideas what happened to this one?

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Great idea, but I don't see the point of it.

I can only presume that the people holding the purse-strings thought the same thing.

I'd be more in favour of it if it didn't have a glass shell over it - you'd have to artificially water it constantly whilst rain pours outside.

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Another one for the 'scrapbook':

Proposal in 2003 for a new bridge over the A167 designed by Wilkinson Eyre. The whole plans would 'incorporate on hectare of landscaped garden with research and educational facilities located at either side of the A167 linked by a unique green bridge' 'The concrete, soil filled bridge would span 50m and have a lightweight glazed shell, with a humid tropical zone at the heart of the building with arid zones either side. The 12m high glasshouse would include walkways through the exibits'

Any ideas what happened to this one?

Yes, this was an interesting idea!

This is really a post for the "Newcastle as it might have been" thread.

It was actually omitted from there (by me) after it was included on the "Test your Newcastle General Knowlege" thread (as a "question") on December 6th 2009 (see LINKS below).

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47372479&postcount=195
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47373851&postcount=196
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47379163&postcount=197
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47385157&postcount=198
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47385607&postcount=199

It was correctly answered by Chatton11 on the same day that the question was asked!!

If it is a "Newcastle as it might have been" type of question, after it is answered I normally copy the answer onto that thread, from the 'General Knowledge' thread.

For some reason I didn't on this occasion, but the above links should give you the information you were seeking Talisker?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This topic (the proposed "Botanic Bridge" over Claremont Road) is a "Newcastle as it might have been" thread topic, don't you think?
I agree.

The bridge was a 'nice idea' - though I'd really like to see as much of the NW Radial as possible roofed over and grassed on top. It's a shame it wasn't built in a cut & cover tunnel to begin with - it must have been a question of cost as I can't imagine any insuperable engineering problems.

·
dE/dm
2,402 Posts
Yeah the 'newcastle as it might have been' thread would be the best place for this, thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
As always, when a question on the "Newcastle Test Your General Knowledge" thread, is about a Newcastle development that "never happened", I copy the eventual answer to the question over here onto this thread!

The Millenium Bridge, as it might have been . . .

1 - What is this bridge?

It is one of the five losing designs for the Millenium Bridge

2 - When was it designed/proposed?

The six designs were all formally proposed on Monday November 18th 1996

3 - Who designed it?

Sir Norman Foster

AND, here is the full information from The Guardian of Monday November 18th 1996 . . .

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I'm glad we got the one we did. For a Foster design, that one lacks impact. Also, it appears that it wouldn't have been openable - a real advantage of what we've got now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ouseburn Docks

I've been rummaging around the Tyne and wear archives and came across the following proposal for new docks in the Ouseburn. The Victorians didn't do things half-heartedly did they...

(I've got some higher-res images which allow you to zoom in to the plan to read it in detail, but I'm not sure how to post them :s - any advice? )

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
I've been rummaging around the Tyne and wear archives and came across the following proposal for new docks in the Ouseburn. The Victorians didn't do things half-heartedly did they...
:eek2: Talk about big changes. Something tells me if that had went ahead, the Ouseburn would be a St Peters Basin style marine development by now.

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #299

(I've got some higher-res images which allow you to zoom in to the plan to read it in detail, but I'm not sure how to post them :s - any advice? )

Not high-res, but a 'little' bit clearer?

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
Talk about big changes. Something tells me if that had went ahead, the Ouseburn would be a St Peters Basin style marine development by now.
and there'd be shipping up to Warwick Street! (a dock instead of the City Stadium - probs better used than since its infilling)

281 - 300 of 549 Posts