SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
basic map - yellow outlines are the municipal buildings, red are pearl assurance, library and laing and new street envisaged by plan that looks to be a continuation of higham place:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This is Cackett's plan in map form (note the proposed new bridge, more or less exactly in the position of the Tyne Bridge):

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This is part opf the 1945 Newcastle Plan drawn up by the City Engineer, Percy Parr:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This is a map from the 1951 Development Plan (also drawn up by Percy Parr). This plan was a statutory requirement under the 1947 Town Planning Act, and had to be submitted to Whitehall, and so the flights of fantasy shown in the 1945 plan had to be reined in a bit.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
John Dobson street, Ridley place etc etc are a massive dissapointment to me. Such a prominent spot in the city centre, yet they just dont do it for me. They are not as grand as they should be. Particularly John Dobson St. Infact its horrible.

That is one area of the city I would have loved to have been redeveloped and infact would love to see redeveloped in the future.

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
John Dobson street, Ridley place etc etc are a massive dissapointment to me. Such a prominent spot in the city centre, yet they just dont do it for me. They are not as grand as they should be. Particularly John Dobson St. Infact its horrible.

That is one area of the city I would have loved to have been redeveloped and infact would love to see redeveloped in the future.
Yes, John Dobson Street (a recent re-development itself, in any case) has NEVER been up to much, as far as I'm concerned.

Here it is just after opening . .

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeah Historian, there are a few nice buildings but for the most part it is just sides of buildings backing onto the street. Its not good at all. Hopefully at somepoint something will be done about it.

Ridley place, now there is one street I wouldnt mind old buildings being knocked down in Newcastle for once!!!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think Ridley Place has a nice domestic scale - an important survival from the days when Northumberland Street and the roads leading off it were a quiet suburb outsuide the city walls.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I think they had the right idea when they decided to put a road there but the replacement buildings were an after-thought and very piecemeal. As shown in that photo where there is now the TGWU building 80's/90s (right) which is currently being renovated and the MSC/Frankie and Bennys (left) 70's-ish, they're not thought out at all and would be easy targets for redevelopment into building of a smiliar size to the Optical Express building, which is 7 floors and that utilise the site better and create a more urban experience.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think they had the right idea when they decided to put a road there but the replacement buildings were an after-thought and very piecemeal. As shown in that photo where there is now the TGWU building 80's/90s (right) which is currently being renovated and the MSC/Frankie and Bennys (left) 70's-ish, they're not thought out at all and would be easy targets for redevelopment into building of a smiliar size to the Optical Express building, which is 7 floors and that utilise the site better and create a more urban experience.
You're absolutely right. When planned it was never intended to be an 'urban street' at all but rather part of the city centre's inner distributor road by which buses would access the city centre, cars access multi-storey car parks, and commercial vehicles access shops via service roads at ground level. Pedestrians would be on a new deck level (as in the deck by Bewick Court). Another function for JDS was to enable the removal of traffic from Northumberland Street. But when completion of the Smith/Burns Plan became a dead letter in the mid 70s, it was built up with the gimcrack buildings we see today: a right mess; but it was never meant to be so.

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK, as I wrote at Post 1 of this thread . . "There are a LOT of things that can go into a thread about "Newcastle as it might have been" and NOT all of them are from the dim-distant-past either, some are remarkably recent.

So, here is one from 24th April 2007 . . .

The Mile-long Double Decker Tyne Bridge

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
hmm .. do you think this is what they had in mind for the CME bypass back in the 60's :nuts:

truly monstrous but strangely spectacular !!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ha, that runs right over the top of my work place. That would never get the go-ahead. The quayside is going to expand all the way to walker riverside and not before long British engines BEL Valves, Jewson, and Sita will have to shift home so the area can be redeveloped.

·
The Legend
13,176 Posts
OK, as I wrote at Post 1 of this thread . . "There are a LOT of things that can go into a thread about "Newcastle as it might have been" and NOT all of them are from the dim-distant-past either, some are remarkably recent.

So, here is one from 24th April 2007 . . .

The Mile-long Double Decker Tyne Bridge

I have to admit, I like that, however it looks like it goes right through Ouseburn and therefore it would never get the go ahead. It's not in the centre of Newcastle, so wouldn't be intrusive, and I'm guessing would take traffic away from the city cntre bridges and also the Tyne tunnel to a lesser extent, which can only be good. I think it would be the erfect replacement in a different location though.

Redbourgh bridge anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

this forum is great!! Some very interesting disucssions here. Im hoping to write a paper in the forth coming months on the urban development of Newcastle, i.e. how it developed, why it developed the way it did and what we missed out on and i've found this discussion very helpful. I would however be very grateful if anyone could suggest any more literature or websites that covers these topics and where i can find the images used in this topic.

Also, is anyone aware of a plan for newcastle that include the constuction of pedestrian squares, i.e. similar to the urban plan proposed/developed by Tibbalds for Birmingham.

Cheers!!

The UrbanDoctor

21 - 40 of 549 Posts