SkyscraperCity banner

541 - 549 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The real issue is wind direction in relation to the line rather than speed itself. You will usually have an anemometer on each tower along with sway measurement

There's quite a lot of tech out there to limit sway. Cable cars can operate in horrendously high winds and are usually very stable, so long as you slow them when they pass each other and towers. Dual mono-cable gondolas essentially use one 'side' of the cable to act against the other in wind [bit more nuanced than that in reality].

Never say never but I'd be surprised if you lost more than a day or two a year because of wind in this region.
Not wishing to impinge on NP's encyclopedic knowledge of cable cars:nuts:, but many studies have found cable cars suprisingly resistant, far more than a boat on choppy water.

The benefit of a cable car over the Tyne is that it could extend the crossing from the riverbank but from Metro station to Metro station.

Like a high level bridge so to speak.

·
13,011 Posts
Not wishing to impinge on NP's encyclopedic knowledge of cable cars:nuts:, but many studies have found cable cars suprisingly resistant, far more than a boat on choppy water.

The benefit of a cable car over the Tyne is that it could extend the crossing from the riverbank but from Metro station to Metro station.

Like a high level bridge so to speak.
You re right they are fantastically robust [both gondolas and cablecars].

I'm not sure of the heights around South Shields metro. I was pondering NS Metro >Riverside > Riverside > SS Metro. A gondola would work but there would be problems with the loading stations on the riverside if you wanted to get boats past.

Cable cars have a fantastic safety record given the number of passengers, though have sympathy for the citizens of Cavalase who's just re opened their shiny new cable car which replaced one which had broken, killing 43 people.

Along flies USMC Captain Richard J. Ashby, who was definitely not attempting to fly under the cable, emphatically not, no no, the altimeter was defective, well perhaps..... Unfortunately his plane severed the cable.

He was fine, 20 cable car passengers somewhat less so

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You re right they are fantastically robust [both gondolas and cablecars].

I'm not sure of the heights around South Shields metro. I was pondering NS Metro >Riverside > Riverside > SS Metro. A gondola would work but there would be problems with the loading stations on the riverside if you wanted to get boats past.

Cable cars have a fantastic safety record given the number of passengers, though have sympathy for the citizens of Cavalase who's just re opened their shiny new cable car which replaced one which had broken, killing 43 people.

Along flies USMC Captain Richard J. Ashby, who was definitely not attempting to fly under the cable, emphatically not, no no, the altimeter was defective, well perhaps..... Unfortunately his plane severed the cable.

He was fine, 20 cable car passengers somewhat less so
Wikipedia tells me that there is not one, but two cable car disasters in Cavalase. Pretty rotten luck!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Came across this photo of part of the planned City Centre Redevelopment model from the late 60's/early 70's. There have been a number of comments on the forum about the CME forming a barrier between the city centre and the east of the city. Just look at how it could have been if the whole plan was completed!

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Where's that road going to on the right-hand side that comes from the CME down passed where now stands Manors Metro Station.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Where's that road going to on the right-hand side that comes from the CME down passed where now stands Manors Metro Station.
That was the CME Bypass! Honest, it was planned at the same time as the CME. It included a new bridge to the east of the Tyne Bridge before joining up with the Gateshead Flyover.

Page 6 of this document has the details.

ADMINS. Not sure if the attachment will work. Let me know and I'll do it another way

Cheers
GBDT

Attachments

541 - 549 of 549 Posts