SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 544 Posts

·
The Legend
13,146 Posts
Hi Urbandoctor.

Nice to see about your plans to publicise Newcastle developement.

I am aware of this, and so too are many on this forum, I'm sure we actually had a thread about that round here, "Newcastle/Gateshead improving the public relm" maybe the one.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I have to admit, I like that, however it looks like it goes right through Ouseburn and therefore it would never get the go ahead. It's not in the centre of Newcastle, so wouldn't be intrusive, and I'm guessing would take traffic away from the city cntre bridges and also the Tyne tunnel to a lesser extent, which can only be good. I think it would be the erfect replacement in a different location though.

Redbourgh bridge anyone?
I'd love to see that bridge vision actually realised, but the idea of a road deck and cable cars isn't bold enough for me! I'd like to see it taking high speed rail (or even maglev) trains as well, forming part of a countrywide high speed rail network. Such a bridge would be absolutely spectacular! Newcastle is already known for its bridges, but this would immediately give the city a world famous skyline.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum Urban Doctor... I would email NewcastleHistorian to get the images, he seems to be 'the' source!

·
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Haymarket - As it would have looked after completion of the CMW.
This is a 'mock-up' I have always found interesting to look at. The Haymarket (the "Dirty Angel", South African War Memorial and all) as it would have looked had the CMW (Central Motorway West) been built as planned, just after the CME was finished in 1975 . . .

If you look carefully, you can even see the underground CCM ('Cross City Motorway') linking the CME with the CMW, coming out to join the CMW just along Percy Street there! Amazing!

You can even see what looks very like the 'Methodist Cathedral' (mentioned by wilfburnsfan at Post 15 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46844143&postcount=15 ) in there, and (of course) the Eldon Square Hotel, at the very top!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
That looks pretty cool, but we all know it would have ended up looking hideous with stained concrete everywhere and awful subways and elevated walkways

·
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You know how 'hemmed in' the City Centre is to the East, by the CME?

Imagine it entirely SURROUNDED by motorways, and this is what you get . . .

Almost . . "Claustrophobic"

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
The bit that seems totally illogical is the building that divides Northumberland Street.

In a way I like the sentiments of planners back then, get the cars up high or down below and make nice pedestrianised spaces. I like the idea of traffic seperation. But I would prefer to just keep it out of the centre completely by offering free park and ride hubs around the city and charge £5 per hour to park centrally... and the bus stations should be more peripheral too!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The bit that seems totally illogical is the building that divides Northumberland Street.
You can see the results in Northumberland St still: all the major developments are south of the Northumberland Road junction; level or north, old and/or poor quality stuff.

The BHS building as it fronts (sides?) onto Northumberland Road has stubby square pillars which were designed to hold a deck-level walkway.

·
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
You can see the results in Northumberland St still: all the major developments are south of the Northumberland Road junction; level or north, old and/or poor quality stuff.

The BHS building as it fronts (sides?) onto Northumberland Road has stubby square pillars which were designed to hold a deck-level walkway.
Yes, the BHS/C&A building (described at the time - accurately - as "an ugly box just to sell things in") was built like that for exactly that reason. You can see it so clearly if you look. The Callers building, a bit further down (now HMV) was similarly designed to receive that same pedestrian deck, out the back. You can see that clearly on that building (at the back) too! I took photos in 2005, and wrote about this within 'Post 1' of the Historic thread . .

HERE - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=44745826&postcount=1

·
The Legend
13,146 Posts
Interesting, but like it has already been said, it would of all ended up a concrete blocks, and I much prefer what we have now, though that building where the ES car park now is looks very interesting.

·
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I think this photo shows what you mean . .
Also, here is the back of the nearby HMV (the former new Callers building) showing the preparation for the same pedestrian deck at the back with the original Callers 'pebble-dash' panels STILL there all these years later, above it. Photo taken in 2005.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Obviously that 60's plan would have rendered the Metro Tunnel under Northumberland Street an expensive proposal and i don't think they would have been able to develop it.

·
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OK, I think it's time to move on to the next 'ever-so-slightly-weird' set of Newcastle As It Might Have Been proposals. I love this next one, it's another fairly recent one, this time from 2001 . . .

The Grey Street Stream!

What'ya think about that as a plan then??

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
a river used to be under grey street, i think, high bridge is named after a real bridge that went over it, and i believe it still exists under the street level today.

on another note - does anyone remember when there was a plan mentioned to build a glass roof over a couple of the streets leading off grey street, similar to what has been done in Leeds? Can't remember how serious it ever was.

·
The Legend
13,146 Posts
^^

I knew I saw something like that ages ago, I thought it would of went down Northumberland St though. It's a great idea, and I would love to see it done, but that was in 2001, and the Grainger town project is over, so I doubt we will ever see it.

·
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
a river used to be under grey street, i think, high bridge is named after a real bridge that went over it, and i believe it still exists under the street level today.
The article mentions the name of it . . the Lort Burn, which still flows under Grey Street and Dean Street, in a culvert.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The BHS building as it fronts (sides) onto Northumberland Road has stubby square pillars which were designed to hold a deck-level walkway.

Also, here is the back of the nearby HMV (the former new Callers building) showing the preparation for the same pedestrian deck at the back with the original Callers 'pebble-dash' panels above it. Photo taken in 2005.

Fantastic, NH. And a lost fragment of pedestrian deck, too!

41 - 60 of 544 Posts