SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 10055 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It is a 100% better than the sports cafe- unfortunetly the stairs are right in front of the front door still so the view of the pub isnt good when you walk in isnt that good- but in general i liked the pub- ist big too and 3 floors.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Anyone heard any rumours that Wetherspoons are taking over the lease of Old Orleans and Pacific to gain a foothold in the Haymarket area of town?

Also heard rumours (which I personally think are nonsence) that the Union Rooms may be disposed off as for the last 12 years Wetherspoons had been given a peppercorn rent for bringing the building back into use, but this is now coming to an end and the rent increasing exponentially?

·
22,033 Posts
Anyone heard any rumours that Wetherspoons are taking over the lease of Old Orleans and Pacific to gain a foothold in the Haymarket area of town?

Also heard rumours (which I personally think are nonsence) that the Union Rooms may be disposed off as for the last 12 years Wetherspoons had been given a peppercorn rent for bringing the building back into use, but this is now coming to an end and the rent increasing exponentially?
To me, the Union Rooms IS Wetherspoons!!

Most people I know tend to just call it Wetherspoons, rather than the Union Rooms, so I hope they do not dispose of it !

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
in terms of the haymarket area i have heard that Head of Steam have acquired a small bar near The Pacific, the one that used to be known as Shamrox.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
in terms of the haymarket area i have heard that Head of Steam have acquired a small bar near The Pacific, the one that used to be known as Shamrox.
Yes, now called LYH (Legendary Yorkshire Heroes, after Tony Brookes' original wholesale/off sales company, I think). I've went in last weekend - 3 or 4 real ales, and decent home-cooked grub. It's good to have some more real ale choice that end of town - the Hotspur is expensive and is starting to look rather unloved.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Superb! I'll be heading there as soon as I fancy a post-uni pint or a decent lunch with friends.

To be honest, both the Head of Steam group and Whetherspoons are good at what they do, so seeing both expand a little in the city is no bad thing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
But generally, re. Newcastle pubs, a brilliant web-site is the 'Burglars Dog' - I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it on here. The indignant invective tirade against the the identikit bars is superb. But the recognition of good pubs is great too.

http://www.theburglarsdog.co.uk/

Even though it's pretty inactive at the mo it should be listed on the useful web-sites IMHO :cheers:
Yeah, I'm a big fan of this website. I had the book too at one point. The guy's sometimes a bit too critical, and my opinions and his don't always agree, but it's a damn funny read. He's gone into a kind of retirement now though I think.

·
22,033 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by Deebex

Generally, re. Newcastle pubs, a brilliant web-site is the 'Burglars Dog' - I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it on here. The indignant invective tirade against the the identikit bars is superb. But the recognition of good pubs is great too.

http://www.theburglarsdog.co.uk/

Even though it's pretty inactive at the mo it should be listed on the useful web-sites IMHO

Yeah, I'm a big fan of this website. I had the book too at one point. The guy's sometimes a bit too critical, and my opinions and his don't always agree, but it's a damn funny read. He's gone into a kind of retirement now though I think.
As suggested, I have now added it to Section 6 of the Websites thread, and I agree, it is a good book!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Went to a new place last night, Stein Beer Kellar. It's supposed to be a 21st century take on a Bavarian drinking hall. Well, it was dead for a start. Just me and my mate, and three guys who knew the barman. Apart from a token pump of Erdinger, and the fact that you can buy beer in 2 pint steins, it is nothing like a Bavarian drinking hall, more like another charmless city centre bar. That said, the barman (who I think was Italian) was friendly, and there was an offer on where you got a stein for the price of a pint. So a round of 2 x 2pint steins came to 5 quid, which you can't really argue with! But after one, we decided to climb the steps to the Bridge instead for a few real ales and a bit of atmosphere!

·
22,033 Posts
Some quite FAMOUS ones amongst this fourth lot, I think . . .

Scottish & Newcastle Inns.
Matchbox Labels, Sheet 4.

76 – DORSET ARMS
Dorset Avenue, Wallsend.

77 – ROSE & CROWN
North Street, Winlaton.

78 – SATELLITE
Henderson Road, South Shields.

79 – UPPER DECK
33 Walworth Way, Sunderland.

80 – COLLINGWOOD ARMS
Brandling Village, Jesmond, Newcastle, NE2.

81 – MAURETANIA
Denbigh Avenue, High Howden, Wallsend.

82 – THE DOCK
Tyne Dock, South Shields.

83 – MARKET TAVERN
27 Market Place, Durham City.

84 – MARSDEN INN
Redwell Lane, South Shields.

85 – THE NELSON
Church Walk, Walker, Newcastle, NE6.

86 – MASONS ARMS
Dinnington, Newcastle, NE13.

87 – THREE FEATHERS
Easdale Gardens, Lyndhurst Estate, Low Fell.

88 – CENTURION
The Causeway, Throckley, Newcastle, NE15.

89 – ROYAL ARCHER
Archbold Terrace, Jesmond, Newcastle, NE2.

90 – CHIEFTAN
Cruddas Park, Newcastle, NE4.

91 – HOTSPUR
103 Percy Street, Newcastle, NE1.

92 – GEORGE & DRAGON
Old Eldon Square & Bus Concourse, Newcastle, NE1.

93 – ADELPHI
20 Shakespeare Street, Newcastle, NE1.

94 – THE GLOUCESTER
High Street West, Gateshead.

95 – OTTURBURN TOWER HOTEL
Otterburn, Northumberland.

96 – NORTHUMBERLAND ARMS
Prudhoe Chare, Eldon Square, Newcastle, NE1.

97 – COXLODGE
317 Kenton Road, Kenton, Newcastle, NE3.

98 – THE PORTLAND
60 New Bridge Street, Newcastle, NE1.

99 – CITY TAVERN
Northumberland Road, Newcastle, NE1.

100 – COFFY JOHNNY
11 Groat Market, Newcastle, NE1.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
wahey, i live right next to the winlaton rose and crown. used to be my local a few years back but i dont really drink local anymore.

61 - 80 of 10055 Posts