SkyscraperCity banner

9941 - 9948 of 9948 Posts

·
12,594 Posts
Newcastle bar which promoted events with Geordie Shore and Love Island stars could lose licence
Councillors will decide on the fate of the Glasshouse next week, after complaints over loud music and cheap drink deals at what was supposed to be a quiet wine bar
Free shots and Love Island party could cost city centre bar its licence

Any predictions on this....?

If they lose their license I'm a banana [to paraphrase Ian Hislop].

When they arrive, no doubt lawyer-ed up we can add covid-19 to the list of extensive list of reasons to be given that they ought to keep it.. Promise to behave, new door staff, say sorry to the headmaster and keep misbehaving, with in 3-6 months a request for a variation to do just what they're doing now because coronavirus makes trading hard....licencing ducks again.

By the way anyone know if they have the same a'hem peculiar cash only policy that the other venues have ?

·
12,594 Posts
I am about to invest in a banana suit... thought I ll not be wearing it until we see if there is an appeal [or who takes over the site and applies for a new licence - the manager's cat for example]...

'Ineffective' management and loud DJ music: Newcastle bar Glass House to be closed down for good
The Glass House is set to be stripped of its licence to operate after complaints from city authorities over loud DJ music, “ineffective” management, and fears over children’s safety
More:
'Ineffective' management and loud DJ music: Newcastle bar to be closed down

I am genuinely surprised, as bars which seem to have had much worse records get a slap on the wrist.

It reads as if they didn't lawyer up, which is incredibly stupid as turning up with a silk discreetly threatening an appeal puts the fear of god into NCC. If it stays shut [under this or a related operator] then fair play to NCC, it's a first in the city centre. It might... might be a new leaf.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I am about to invest in a banana suit... thought I ll not be wearing it until we see if there is an appeal [or who takes over the site and applies for a new licence - the manager's cat for example]...

More:
'Ineffective' management and loud DJ music: Newcastle bar to be closed down

I am genuinely surprised, as bars which seem to have had much worse records get a slap on the wrist.

It reads as if they didn't lawyer up, which is incredibly stupid as turning up with a silk discreetly threatening an appeal puts the fear of god into NCC. If it stays shut [under this or a related operator] then fair play to NCC, it's a first in the city centre. It might... might be a new leaf.
I think it is a bit of a shame, not that NCC licensing has grown a pair, but the fact the operators couldn't obey the not unreasonable rules. It could be a fantastic venue.

I guess its probably down to the huge echoey lightwells within Milburn House, in which sits the obligatory smoking decking area, which is surrounded on all sides by solicitors offices whio no doubt were the complainant.

On a slightly tangential note, I have curiously observed Newcastle bars go absolutely out of their way, beyond any stretch that a bar anywhere else would, to try and get some kind of smoking area. Be it that 'oh wow, I just looked up and realised i'm outside' bars such as Tokyo and Floritas, or the dangy Perdu alleyway, or the clinging on for dear life make the most out of any kind of external space, Town Wall or PTMY type affair. Maybe because it is an easy way in increase capacity beyond occupancy rules, or the fact our chain smoking populace demands, or just creative thinking. I remember seeing proposals for something on High Bridge that wanted to 'externalise' the top floor, just for the priviledge. The thought of having to remove a roof, and retrospectively waterproof what was once an internal floor brings fear to the mind of an architect!

·
12,594 Posts
I think that the main objections came from residents in the block and when it first opened there were some pretty stringent conditions, not least as you say because of echo-ey corridors etc. The first operator must have spent a wheelbarrow of money on the place, but frankly with no one in there. It was obvious it was having trouble when we walked down the street at about 11.30 following a DoW pub quiz to see it being used as a location for a photo shoot with a lady who was ....very sparsely dressed indeed, it wasn't difficult to tell that she was cold.....

It was very 'well appointed' but it's a hard street to get right. The former Oldfields has had a revolving door of operators - though that's partly because it's got a lousy entrance. If you're going to the quayside you've passed it and if you're leaving and it's in a line of sight you re probably going home.

The success stories tend to be 'beery' or a bit nasty, with a lot of fake tan and occasional sneezes. The decor doesn't lend itself to Brew Dog type suds and going for the 'orangey' clientele [which they seemed to be] would put them in breach of the licence.

Sambucca seem to be an interesting operation with curious tales told. On the first day they took over they were breaching the minimum price condition in the licence, at that point licencing were their usual pro active selves.....Sambucca just seemed to assume they could nod when told off and then just get on with it again [and in fairness that's the message NCC's actions usually send]. This is, I think the first city centre on licence to be lost for years.

Wait and see what happens tho - either an appeal or a new application with more creative routes around the conditions. Tho who knows, the banana suit might still come out.

You re right on the smoking areas and some of the shisha type bars don't bear any scrutiny at all, there must be a lot of creative measuring to make sure the gaps are greater than half the wall space [I think that's the test]. It's ages since I've been in Tokyo's but I recall two offset 'sails' one above the other to essentially leave a fabric roof with vertical gaps which seemed against the spirit of the legislation :). It probably is a combination of capacity and just keeping the punters happy.

Some do it quite well - Stand comedy cafe and Alvino's for example. The bridge is OK upstairs but when it's open it's often too busy and the downstairs areas can be quite nice or just a bit of a push fest. Mrs NP were at one table where a seemingly nice 'pair' said mind if we join you... sure, no problem and they then beckoned over [literally] 20 friends leaving us jammed in the corner

proposals for something on High Bridge that wanted to 'externalise' the top floor, just for the priviledge.
That's mad... surely the costs of effectively ripping off the roof and then putting in another one under your feet would be way greater than any increase in sales/footfall.

The legislation was drafted differently in the RoI and one enterprising landlord simply parked a bus in front of his pub as a smoking area :).

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Brandling Villa, South Gosforth.
Work continuing on...and on regarding the new paving at the front of the pub and also up Station Road. Pictured today.
20200525_104009.jpg
20200525_104035.jpg
20200525_104223.jpg

·
12,594 Posts
This is probably public domain but I ve been told by a very reliable source that '[one of the largest brewers in the UK] are going back to work on 22nd June 2020 with a view to getting the pubs and clubs open on the 4th July 2020'. This is a pretty significant cost to the brewer so I infer that they have been as it were tipped the wink

Sounds promising.

Also in CV-19

9941 - 9948 of 9948 Posts