SkyscraperCity banner

9981 - 10000 of 10152 Posts

·
12,962 Posts
The refurb has been in the pipeline for at least 5 years. In the few years I worked there it was constantly talked about but kept getting pushed back every 6 months until they eventually started making small changes to rooms/knocking walls down last year but I think the court case is slowing it down as the full refurb was so supposed be completed by last December then it changed to end of January, then March. Now they've stripped the venues out completely during lockdown ready for the final decision.
I m curious, you ve obviously an inside line - I get the refurb' but what they are saying publicly at least is/seems to be a complete change to the business model. Has that been [is it really] on the cards or is it more of a case of the usual refreshing and re branding that many bars need from time to time?

·
Registered
410 Posts
The refurb has been in the pipeline for at least 5 years. In the few years I worked there it was constantly talked about but kept getting pushed back every 6 months until they eventually started making small changes to rooms/knocking walls down last year but I think the court case is slowing it down as the full refurb was so supposed be completed by last December then it changed to end of January, then March. Now they've stripped the venues out completely during lockdown ready for the final decision.
Interesting, cheers @techieh. There's usually more publicity around these sort of things as this type of 'style' / 'contemporary' bar usually has to refresh fairly often to keep the punters interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The refurb was on the cards well before the drugs scandal as they were talking about it at least a year before it all happened. Throughout my time there I heard numerous ideas about what was happening with each venue but those ideas would change all the time.

Florita's and Koos haven't changed since 2008 and Smiths 2012 and as the days of them being the number 1 spot for students 7 nights a week are well over I think that Duncan wants to appeal different crowds.

Interesting, cheers @techieh. There's usually more publicity around these sort of things as this type of 'style' / 'contemporary' bar usually has to refresh fairly often to keep the punters interested.
It's Duncan Fisher. He basically kept the launch of Holy Hobo a secret for a while, nobody really knew that Mr Lynch was getting a complete refurb and new name.

Personally I don't see some of his ideas working on the Diamond Strip. It's a nightclub area not a street food and bowling area. You have already have 100s of street food restaurants and plenty of gaming venues in Newcastle

·
12,962 Posts
The refurb was on the cards well before the drugs scandal as they were talking about it at least a year before it all happened. Throughout my time there I heard numerous ideas about what was happening with each venue but those ideas would change all the time.

Florita's and Koos haven't changed since 2008 and Smiths 2012 and as the days of them being the number 1 spot for students 7 nights a week are well over I think that Duncan wants to appeal different crowds.

It's Duncan Fisher. He basically kept the launch of Holy Hobo a secret for a while, nobody really knew that Mr Lynch was getting a complete refurb and new name.

Personally I don't see some of his ideas working on the Diamond Strip. It's a nightclub area not a street food and bowling area. You have already have 100s of street food restaurants and plenty of gaming venues in Newcastle
Yes I am doubtful about the bowling etc and whether it was really more of a we need to describe something not clubby exercise

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Wetherspoons Quayside Bar.
The outside sitting area is being used for parties and the litter is horrendous.
Spoke to lad fro NE1 this morning and he has to clean up twice a week. There are no Wetherspoons staff on site. The tables are turned upside down to prevent people sitting there but obviously they are just turn them back up for the drinking session.

20200628_103606.jpg

20200628_103612.jpg

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

·
12,962 Posts
Just went past Wetherspoons again and people were sitting outside drinking so not sure if they are open selling takeaway drinks?
Demo Manz said:
Yes quayside even Thursday PM was, to use a non clinical term, mental. It was like a bank holiday Monday. Rammed with LOTS of people drinking. Sambucca was also selling takeaway beer, £5 a pint, good margin there on cooking lager.

I suspect that Hornsby attracts a different clientele from Red House, which seemed well organised. 'Spoons didn't seem to be open.

TBH, though I fancy a pint I think we'll stay clear next weekend, and a breathtakingly stupid idea to re open on a Saturday anyway

·
12,962 Posts
Surely prison sentences should be doled out for leaving it in that state of repair anyway

It's actually really saddening.
It's.... Newcastle...you re better placed than me but I can only recall one bit of proper enforcement, on Gosforth High St. Are there many/any others ?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
T Pumphrey Cloth Market

Picured today as work continuing by Barnes Thompson Developments on their 'blues cafe'.
See more on their Facebook pages.

20200702_121746.jpg

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I see the bookies opposite has closed down, that probably takes away half the punters before the grim reaper gets involved..
The Ladbrookes?

That is good news indeed for the ongoing Bigg Market slum clearance programme.

I wander if Cathedral Square would in fact be better as a bijou (shudder using that word, but you know what I mean) hotel, with an 'anchor' swanky bar tenant below and maybe another floor to give it some volume.

The Bijou hotel could then give some balconies, interest and activity to that energy draining frontage that faces back to Bigg Market where there once was the Old Town Hall bell tower.

It would provide a perfect vantage point for any affluent poverty tourists, effectively a Royal box for taking in the vaudeville atmosphere below.

Believe me there would be a market for that.

·
12,962 Posts
The Ladbrookes?

That is good news indeed for the ongoing Bigg Market slum clearance programme.

I wander if Cathedral Square would in fact be better as a bijou (shudder using that word, but you know what I mean) hotel, with an 'anchor' swanky bar tenant below and maybe another floor to give it some volume.

The Bijou hotel could then give some balconies, interest and activity to that energy draining frontage that faces back to Bigg Market where there once was the Old Town Hall bell tower.

It would provide a perfect vantage point for any affluent poverty tourists, effectively a Royal box for taking in the vaudeville atmosphere below.

Believe me there would be a market for that.
Yes, the one directly opposite - it could be covid and re opening but the signs look to be a fairly firm we are closed, our closest is.... I think another bookies close to the Grainger market is also shuttered.

I'd invest in that hotel, would need some serious soundproofing for the rooms tho :)

9981 - 10000 of 10152 Posts