SkyscraperCity banner

10041 - 10060 of 10154 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Do you reckon there is an actual decline or a change in where we drink? I don't think i've been to a club in years (maybe my age) as you can basically drink anywhere until 1am. Maybe people are staying in better quality, sit down (if you hang about long enough) and have a conversation type places instead?
I think things have definitely changed, I more or less stopped bothering with clubs now that you can drink in a pub late. However, I think it is your age! I am the same, by the way, but I still think younger people like going out in town, clubbing etc (even if just places on Collingwood St or in the gay bit), however, I am mostly too long in the tooth to do that these days 😁

I have to somewhat agree with this. Newcastle gets called a party city but compared to the likes of Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool it’s very tame. All those cities have lots of late clubs open till 5/6 in the morning and most bars open till 3. They also have big events spaces for things like the warehouse project. Depending on your lifestyle this may seem like a blessing or a curse but everyone I talk to that has been on nights out in the big northern cities would consider Newcastle as the least fun.
Nightclubs in Newcastle for me have never been in strong point, not in the 25 years I've been going out anyway, but there are clubs open until 6am (Powerhouse for one), and there are a few nightclubs that were fairly well regarded, such as Digital. I will concede though that Newcastle's clubbing scene seems weaker than it did when I started my drinking career, but I think as above, this is due to a shift in drinking habits, such as late opening pubs, but also daytime drinking is massively more popular than it used to be.

As for being tame in comparison to other northern cities, what a load of rubbish. I have been in all of those places on a night out, and Newcastle is every bit as good as any if not better. Have you actually been out on a busy Saturday in Newcastle? Tame is the last word I would use; most of Newcastle is covered with bars and it has areas for everyone. Moreover, and in complete contrast to your friends, everyone I've spoken to at my company who has been out in Newcastle raves about it and rates it as one of the best nights out they've had in the UK. It may not have the variety of nightclubs of larger cities, but it has a unique appeal and character that other cities simply can't match. You are entitled to your opinion though, even if it's wrong 😊

·
Registered
16 Posts
Newcastle has never been a nightclub city though has it ?

compared to Leeds / Manchester / Liverpool they were always a clubbing city’s.

But Newcastle was for drinking and bars not clubbing.to quite some people. Newcastle was for liquid. Not chemicals on a nightout

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yep exactly, its never been the best for clubbing, although I do miss the Boat, Mayfair (even if not to my tastes), Ikon (Ritzy/Oxford), even the likes of Baja and Cooperage were a good laugh. Not the same now. But as a place to go and get pissed and have a bit of banter, the toon takes some beating. That it happens to be a mostly beautiful city is the icing on top. I've said it before, nowhere else is quite like the toon. It may have changed in recent years but it's still a great place.

·
12,964 Posts
its listed on the governments big eat out thing as Okana as well. I can see this been one of many names now. The next 55 degree north type constant new venue name every other 6 months?
Kind of - 55 has a track record of people going skint rather than name changes for marketing alone [it's a really hard site to make work].

The union rooms was sold by 'spoons a while ago and I think this is the third post 'spoons 'version'. It was bought by a chap called Andrew Ward who has some pubs in Durham. My reading was that he operated it for a while and it was then tenanted by the San Lorenzo team. They fluffed it up as Union Rooms and have re fluffed again. Ward wants to move it on and if you have circa £4mil behind the cushions on your sofa it still appears to be on the market.

·
12,964 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Landlord fears 'best pub in Gateshead' may close due to ugly feud across the River Tyne

A landlord fears a noise feud raging across the River Tyne could spell the end for his beloved pub.

St Peter's Basin residents claim their "walls were vibrating" from thunderous guitars and drums played at post-lockdown gigs outside The Schooner.

The Gateshead pub's landlord has hit back, labelling the claims "ridiculous" while accusing them of trying to have the venue shut down.
Things escalated over the weekend with both sides using noise monitoring equipment to record the music.
According to the Newcastle side, the noise was measured at 110db - almost as loud as a chainsaw.
"We sent a team over to St Peter's Basin and it was never more than 60db," insisted Schooner landlord Paul Smith.
"At the front of the stage the reading was just 88db, so to say that is ridiculous."

The full story is here:

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Pumphrey's in Cloth Market, Newcastle transformed into two storey Blues Cafe - pictures 01/08/20

Pumphrey's in Cloth Market, Newcastle to be transformed into two storey Blues Cafe
Pictures by myself from Saturday 01/08/20 approx 1115 showing views of the Blues Cafe at Pumphrey's in Cloth Market, Newcastle

Also posted to Bigg Market thread

KEN

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Livello, 41 - 43 Side, Newcastle, Demolition of existing conservatory and erection of two storey extension - pictures 01/08/20

Livello, 41 - 43 Side, Newcastle, Demolition of existing conservatory and erection of two storey extension - pictures 04/03/20
Last covered on post ##9935 on 05/03/20

Progress continues on erection of two storey extension Livello, 41 - 43 Side, Newcastle as can be seen in pictures of mine taken Saturday 01/08/20 approx 1100

KEN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any idea what happened to Fitzgerald’s on grey street ?

Went past early mid week and it had hours on the door etc went late Friday afternoon and the hours were gone and the door was locked ?

possibly closed again due to dat bar having confirmed cases ?

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Fitzgerald pubs in Newcastle central area are closed

Checked the Sir John Fitzgerald website, http://sjf.co.uk/ the other day

All of their city centre pubs- The Bacchus, Bodega, The Bridge, Crown Posada & Fitzgeralds on Grey St, Newcastle are closed

These venues are open (as at 0900 on 16/08/20 website check) - http://sjf.co.uk/

Someone told me that the reason for Fitzgeralds closure after having been open was due to lack of trade

KEN

·
12,964 Posts

All of their city centre pubs- The Bacchus, Bodega, The Bridge, Crown Posada & Fitzgeralds on Grey St, Newcastle are closed

These venues are open (as at 0900 on 16/08/20 website check) - http://sjf.co.uk/

Someone told me that the reason for Fitzgeralds closure after having been open was due to lack of trade

KEN
It wouldn't surprise me. The Crown did not re open [very difficult in current conditions due to 'layout].

I have not stood this up independently, but I am told that staff from the Crown were laid off Friday, also that [non sjf] the Monkey bar has done the same. Some of this with contracted staff [ie non zero hours/casual] will be the reduction of furlough cash.

On what I see some bars are still doing very well [Bigg Market type vertical drinking - Jalou, Soho Rooms and so on, all pretty nasty]. Others are doing ok - BridgeTav' for example, fewer punters but staying for longer [it's safe, we have a seat].

I'd have thought that the Bacchus and Fitzys could operate, possibly the Bridge, however the key is opening hours and there may be difficulties around furlough, return to work and so on if you can only operate profitably [say] Thurs 5pm > Sun 10.30pm.

I dropped into the Punchbowl [which ordinarily I like] and left very quickly

The following is a quote - 'we're understaffed, you have to order via the app, it's there' [points at a QR code, turns on heel and leaves]..... so did we...

This cartoon, adapted from Private Eye for review and copyright reasons gives a visual clue as to the relationship between licensing and operators [the original referenced a planning officer :)].

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Riverside, Neptune House, 1 Close, Newcastle, external areas - pictures 14/08/20

Does ‘Riverside’ fall under pubs/clubs? If so I wasn’t sure if this astroturf was new or if I’d just never noticed it before:
View attachment 269311
Some pictures by myself from Friday 14/08/20 approx 1815, looking down from east footpath of High Level Bridge at the recently created external areas of "Riverside" establishment, near Swing Bridge on north bank of River Tyne, Newcastle

Post from 21/07/20 on their Facebook account,

KEN

·
Registered
16 Posts

KEN
Strange. What stood out to me what was stuck on Grey Street on Tuesday was the reduced hours and not opening on a Sunday. But like i said the opening
Times were gone on Friday.

To be honest the bars that were open were doing ok. Old George etc. But I don’t think enough people out during the day to go back to what it was.

Everyman cinema is back open. And Harry’s is due to open on 27th.

10041 - 10060 of 10154 Posts