SkyscraperCity banner

10161 - 10180 of 10223 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would place a bet that Revolution closes and they keep Revolucion deCuba open. They’re fairly close together and the latter hasn’t been open that long so I imagine Revolution will close . I imagine it is very difficult to maintain Revolution on Collingwood street in the current restrictions- it’s not a massive bar and to have people just sitting in those booths means they must have a rather small capacity for the next 6 months at least, it is also for the younger crowd and it’s definitely about the vodka shots rather than the food and compared to their newer bar on the Bigg Market - or Cloth Market I should say- and therefore IMO is more attractive it the current market. The cloth market bar also has a large roof bar area - again attractive when you want good ventilation where as Collingwood doesn’t. When I was out in the town in August you couldn’t get in Revolucion de Cuba but Revolution there was no problem. It’s a Shame really as Revolution has an impressive interior from their day as a bank.
Then again I may be totally wrong, both Newcastle bars may stay open- the city is after all a party city and once this is over I am sure it will be again. Many other cities such as Manchester and Liverpool and Leeds have multiple Revolution bars and they may just close some in those cities so there is just one Revolution bar representative in those cities.
As for Sunderland, if it ain’t open now it doesn’t bode well for any restructure of their estate.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The owner of the group has said on Twitter that all their establishments are closing (temporarily) from today due to the tightening of restrictions in the NE
Funny time to totally close- the furlough ends soon and to get help from the government you’re going to have to be open even if it’s much reduced hours. So assume all staff have been made redundant, then again majority of staff were on zero hour contracts anyway, but imagine the managers etc. Wouldn’t have been.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Funny time to totally close- the furlough ends soon and to get help from the government you’re going to have to be open even if it’s much reduced hours. So assume all staff have been made redundant, then again majority of staff were on zero hour contracts anyway, but imagine the managers etc. Wouldn’t have been.
He was commenting on Newcastle City Council asking for further restrictions in the first place then complaining when they were strengthened, it sounded as if the new restrictions were too much hassle to trade under

·
13,085 Posts
Most staff will be less than 2 years service or zero hours, won't be a huge cost to [sounding uncharitable] clear 'em out and re hire. Large pool of staff available when you re open. Not saying I like it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Blake’s didn’t open- we had to be in the town early one Saturday weeks ago, and we thought we’d go to Blake’s for breakfast- their website didn’t say they were close- turned up and it was all closed up. Ended up in a cafe in the Grainger Market.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Newcastle bar Perdu warned it could be shut down over 'raucous' night after claims of Covid risk

A bar on Newcastle’s Diamond Strip has been warned it could be shut down, after “raucous” scenes which causing a "serious" risk of Covid-19.

Authorities are taking action against Perdu, after video footage emerged from an event last weekend which Newcastle City Council said was “a serious and imminent threat to public health”.

The Collingwood Street bar has been issued with a notice ordering it to comply with public safety conditions or risk closure, fines worth thousands of pounds, and prosecution.

The full story is here:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to laugh at the Chronicle's articles these days.

Raucous? I doubt it.

It was probably just a couple of students dancing caught on camera which I know isn't allowed at the moment but the the chronicle really loves to get dramatic with their for the sake of a few clicks.

"However, the owners of Perdu refute the council's claims of Covid breaches and say the eight-second video footage only shows one table of six people standing, and they were quickly advised to return to their seats by door supervisors at the venue"

And before some of you get angry and demand it loses its licence it looks like they sorted the issue quickly.

As someone who works a bar it's hard to keep everyone sitting down all the time. People of all ages, not just the young, like to move around after a few drinks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
@techieh - Yep, bit of a non-story. Later on in the article it says the Police viewed the CCTV which showed the door staff intervened. However, they're still being sent an enforcement notice? Bizarre.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Why can't they just ask for proof of address? It's not any harder than checking ID for age.

In order to increase our freedom, we have to better follow the rules. There's something deeply Orwellian about this, but then tell that to someone who's just killed their Nan.

·
Registered
20,846 Posts
Newcastle seafood restaurant, Nova, on High Bridge, Newcastle to become American-style sports bar, Hen & Hops, as sale completes

Article on BDaily website 01/10/20

EXTRACT

Newcastle seafood restaurant to become American-style sports bar as sale completes

Christie & Co has confirmed that it has sold the site of Nova Seafood & Grill, which is on High Bridge Street in the centre of the city.

The previous owners, David and Penny Tilly, opened the restaurant in 2018, and have now made the decision to sell to focus on opening a new venture – the Hard Rock Café on Newcastle Quayside.

AND

“We will be starting work immediately on turning the venue into an American-style sports bar called Hen & Hops, with a focus on chicken wings, hot sauces and craft beers & ciders.

Full article on Newcastle seafood restaurant to become American-style sports bar as sale completes

KEN

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chronicle really has it in for hospitality industry.

They've had photographers wait outside bars to try and get photos of people leaving at 10pm and even told young people get close to each other so they look like they're breaking rules.

I'd love to see this vile cancerous rag close down.

·
13,085 Posts
In fairness this isn't the Chronic, they're simply reporting a licence review and the claims - made by the police. If anything the Chronic spends most of it's time simply regurgitating press releases from operators - announcing the marvellousness of their new wallpaper.

If you have evidence that the journos are actually telling ''young people get close to each other so they look like they're breaking rules' you should make a complaint to the regulator and the police.

10161 - 10180 of 10223 Posts