SkyscraperCity banner

10181 - 10200 of 10223 Posts

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
Millstone Hotel, Haddricks Mill Road, South Gosforth , Newcastle, extensions & alterations - Planning Approval

On the "new" NCC Planning Portal on 05/10/20

EXTRACT

Application Reference Number: 2020/1145/01/DET

Location: Millstone Hotel Haddricks Mill Road, , South Gosforth , Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE3 1QL

Proposal: Erection of two storey extension to north to form increased covered parking area with meeting room over, single storey extension to south, alterations to south elevation and provision of additional car parking space

Decision: Grant Conditionally

Decision Issued Date: 05-10-2020

KEN

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was worried it would be taking over Grey's Club as I remember the articles suggested it would be opening on Grey Street.

Wonder if it will attract the same clientele as Bonbar, sounds like it will be the same e.g. Urban music, expensive vodka and fake tan.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
13,086 Posts
Didn't know that had closed.

Went there a few times when I first moved to Newcastle years ago and it was an interesting place.
I've kind of looked in the distance recently and it looked shut, but I'm not 100% tho the licensing comment suggests it has. Always liked the look of it from the outside with the Celtic steer, but Mrs NP very not keen. TBH I couldn't work out if it was a bit eclectic or the sort of place that would go quiet if you were not a regular.

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've kind of looked in the distance recently and it looked shut, but I'm not 100% tho the licensing comment suggests it has. Always liked the look of it from the outside with the Celtic steer, but Mrs NP very not keen. TBH I couldn't work out if it was a bit eclectic or the sort of place that would go quiet if you were not a regular.
It’s currently boarded up, with a hatch you can go through to buy fireworks. No tar!

One would hope that it could have become a nice eclectic spot for older college kids/staff, Summerhill residents, those of us gays who want a more calm pre-drink... alas...

·
Registered
28 Posts
It’s currently boarded up, with a hatch you can go through to buy fireworks. No tar!

One would hope that it could have become a nice eclectic spot for older college kids/staff, Summerhill residents, those of us gays who want a more calm pre-drink... alas...
That explains the amount of fireworks going off lately then, there's hardly anywhere selling them yet they seem to be going off all day and all night in Heaton especially.

·
13,086 Posts

One would hope that it could have become a nice eclectic spot for older college kids/staff, Summerhill residents, those of us gays who want a more calm pre-drink... alas..

Yes, i look at the Earl of Pitt street and pre covid, despite it being in an 'unlikely' area it did fantastically well. I genuinely could not get the measure of the Vic' - was it cool or seriously dodgy? Selling fireworks thru a hatch might indicate the latter :).

That explains the amount of fireworks going off lately then, there's hardly anywhere selling them yet they seem to be going off all day and all night in Heaton especially.
Yes Quayside too, seeming to be from Gateshead Quays, some nights it's been like the closing scenes of Apocalypse Now...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know posters here would spit at the place but do any decent photos exist of the old City Vaults?

Was told by someone today that it used to be more of an outdoor venue and this photo I saw on twitter shows the old entrance

The layout of the current venue is very strange with very little space used for the actual bar/dancefloor. There's so much unused space with the huge stairs taking up a majority of the area in the venue and the main entrance just being an empty room as well as large room with cow which is the entrance to Bierkeller.

I'm guessing City Vaults was downstairs where Bierkeller is now? And the current Vaults is using space that wasn't part of the venue all those years ago.

Edit: I'm aware of the Brahms and Liszt venue from the Joe Robertson website but still confused about City Vaults as whole.

Plus does anyone have any info/pics of Buz. The only ones I can ever find are on the Joe Robertson website.

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
I know posters here would spit at the place but do any decent photos exist of the old City Vaults?

Was told by someone today that it used to be more of an outdoor venue and this photo I saw on twitter shows the old entrance

The layout of the current venue is very strange with very little space used for the actual bar/dancefloor. There's so much unused space with the huge stairs taking up a majority of the area in the venue and the main entrance just being an empty room as well as large room with cow which is the entrance to Bierkeller.

I'm guessing City Vaults was downstairs where Bierkeller is now? And the current Vaults is using space that wasn't part of the venue all those years ago.

Edit: I'm aware of the Brahms and Liszt venue from the Joe Robertson website but still confused about City Vaults as whole.

Plus does anyone have any info/pics of Buz. The only ones I can ever find are on the Joe Robertson website.
Have you looked up "City Vaults" in the INDEX Thread?

I know we have a fair bit of information about it (the original City Vaults, etc) here on the forum. and the various posts about it are all linked from the INDEX under "C" for City Vaults, under "R" for Joe Robertson, and under "P" for Pubs.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

the big bit with the staircase used to be a road/lane - if you stand near St John’s and look up at the back of the guiding, you can get the measure of it - the stairs respond to the steep slope and it was glazed/boxed in at either side

·
Registered
28 Posts
the big bit with the staircase used to be a road/lane - if you stand near St John’s and look up at the back of the guiding, you can get the measure of it - the stairs respond to the steep slope and it was glazed/boxed in at either side
I walk down the side of Union Rooms/Okana when I get off the number 1 on Grainger Street and often wondered what that glazed box was and didn't realise it's actually the back of City Vaults. Unfortunately didn't find many photos in those links but there aren't many photos of bars pre 2008.

Before the evil curfew, Bierkeller was the place to go for after work drinks as it was open til 3am. Vaults/Kellars smoking area is definitely in need of some TLC as it's just a slope with benches.

·
13,086 Posts
CAMRA has named top regional pubs:

Newcastle

Byker
  • Brinkburn Street Brewery Bar & Kitchen
  • Cluny
  • Cumberland Arms
  • Free Trade Inn
City centre
  • Bacchus
  • Beer Street
  • Bodega
  • Box Social
  • Bridge Hotel
  • Fitzgeralds
  • Lady Greys
  • Mean-Eyed Cat
  • Split Chimp
  • Town Mouse Ale House
  • Tyneside Cinema Bar Cafe
Gosforth
  • County
  • Gosforth Hotel
Heaton
  • Chillingham
Kenton Bank Foot
  • Twin Farms
Quayside
  • Crown Posada
South Gosforth
  • Millstone
More from the Chronic'

99 of the best North East pubs revealed in Good Beer Guide 2021

Some curious omissions: Bridge tav', Broad Chare, Wylam Tap, Full Circle, Tyne Bank. Obviously Box Social is no more.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts

Royal Court Grill back in the 70/80's was a downstairs bar. The entrance was in Royal Court Lane itself and not directly from the Bigg Market.

It was a typical boozer of its time, lino and formica covered tables. Lets just say it wasn't a trendy bar. Sort of place that allegedly had a dodgy reputation but never actually had any trouble.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Royal Court Grill back in the 70/80's was a downstairs bar. The entrance was in Royal Court Lane itself and not directly from the Bigg Market.

It was a typical boozer of its time, lino and formica covered tables. Lets just say it wasn't a trendy bar. Sort of place that allegedly had a dodgy reputation but never actually had any trouble.
I can confirm that it was much the same in the 60s when me and my pals would often pop in. It wasn't our favourite haunt but it wasn't bad. It was usually our last port of call before calling in at the Kin Doo.

·
13,086 Posts
I should know this but... how did Joe convert what was a street into a 'bar'. Was it a right of way, did he have planning, did he buy up both sides of the street, was it a 'scaffold and just do it' or a more gentle bit at a time development.

Shutting a street must have been a fairly big deal.

10181 - 10200 of 10223 Posts