SkyscraperCity banner

10201 - 10220 of 10306 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,345 Posts
I should know this but... how did Joe convert what was a street into a 'bar'. Was it a right of way, did he have planning, did he buy up both sides of the street, was it a 'scaffold and just do it' or a more gentle bit at a time development.

Shutting a street must have been a fairly big deal.

Joe Robertson ran it when the City Vaults was on one side and Brahms & Liszt on the other, but I think he had sold them before the lane was closed off.

It was a great shame that ever happened, because (as I remember thinking at the time in the 1980s) the architecture all the way down both sides of that lane was VERY good for such a narrow 'back lane' type of street.

·
Registered
21,223 Posts
Royal Court Buildings 11-15 Bigg Market Newcastle, glazed atrium, entrance foyer and link in alley between 11-15 Bigg Market for use as A3 bar use - Planning information from 2003 - 2004 & earlier

^^^

From the "old" NCC Planning Portal, after typing in "Royal Court" into search box on Simple Search

EXTRACT of scheme applied for November 2003 and "Granted" 13 May 2004

2003/2440/01/DET

Erection of glazed atrium, entrance foyer and link in alley between 11-15 Bigg Market for use as A3 bar use as amended by plans received 14/04/04

Royal Court Buildings 11-15 Bigg Market Newcastle Upon Tyne Tyne And Wear NE1 1UN

ALSO

Earlier scheme

1996/0252/01/DET

Erection of entrance canopy and installation of 1m high wrought iron railings as amended by facsimile nessage received on 9/4/96

Royal Court Lane bigg Market

Decision - Grant Historic

Decision Issued Date - Fri 12 Apr 1996

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
I should know this but... how did Joe convert what was a street into a 'bar'. Was it a right of way, did he have planning, did he buy up both sides of the street, was it a 'scaffold and just do it' or a more gentle bit at a time development.

Shutting a street must have been a fairly big deal.
Perhaps the assumption is that it was a public thoroughfare but I suspect it was privately owned, no evidence, just a gut feeling. Quite a few more examples recently highlighted in planning disputes, White Hart Yard etc which whilst on the surface appear to have been considered public in the past but in reality are privately owned.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The Glass House

I
couldn't possibly comment:

Newcastle bar 'devastated and confused' after council shuts it down for 'not being Covid secure'

A bar in Newcastle has said it's "confused and devastated" after it was shut down by the council following concerns that it wasn't "Covid secure".

The Glass House on Dean Street, said in a statement on Saturday that it was "deeply shocked" after Newcastle City Council issued it with a direction to close on Friday.
A council spokesperson said they were "not convinced" that the premises were Covid secure and said the decision would be reviewed weekly.
But the bar said the reasons behind the closure were "untrue" and said it does not agree with the council as it has worked "tirelessly" to ensure the venue is complying with all regulations.

The full story is here:

·
13,173 Posts
This would be that exemplar of good practice which has already lost it's licence but is still trading under appeal.

'Ineffective' management and loud DJ music: Newcastle bar to be closed down

Refreshing to see that:

"Myself and the manager Gwan Mohammed have worked tirelessly to ensure the venue is complying with all regulations.
he's obviously upped his act since May when:

Gwan Mohammad, who ran the venue, admitted that he had “not really” read the strict conditions to limit the bar’s activities imposed by the council.
Given that Gwan has been working tirelessly perhaps he can have a little bit of a break....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I’m making this up, but I wonder if plans were afoot, and failed, for something at the end of the lane (that building in the photo isn’t there anymore I don’t think) to redevelop everything behind Yates’ (eg those naff 90’s flats opp. Fleet Street), making it a ‘lane to nowhere’ and redundant. It’s still all a nasty bit of scrub, but some interesting old bits of walls and rubble all the same.

Or as you say, it was private anyway or backhanders and ‘overlooked’ planning...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I’m making this up, but I wonder if plans were afoot, and failed, for something at the end of the lane (that building in the photo isn’t there anymore I don’t think) to redevelop everything behind Yates’ (eg those naff 90’s flats opp. Fleet Street), making it a ‘lane to nowhere’ and redundant. It’s still all a nasty bit of scrub, but some interesting old bits of walls and rubble all the same.

Or as you say, it was private anyway or backhanders and ‘overlooked’ planning...
I'd forgotten about that site. As far as I can tell the buildings were still there in 1992 but they were in a bit of a state. And had been for a number of years. It is privately owned otherwise the council would have turned it into a proper surface car park! ;-)

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
21,223 Posts
The Schooner Pub, Gateshead landlord's relief after pub keeps licence despite being plagued by noise complaints

Follow up on earlier posts on the topic

Chronicle Live website article from 03/11/20

EXTRACT

Gateshead landlord's relief after pub keeps licence despite being plagued by noise complaints

The Schooner's licence was reviewed after a string of noise complaints

The council's licensing committee decided to give the hostelry a reprieve despite being "seriously concerned" by certain aspects of its management.

A summary of decision uploaded to the council's website after the review said that despite this the pub's management had started to deal with its problems.

It said: "The sub-committee found that they were seriously concerned by the lack of adequate management arrangements that had been in place ; but were mindful of the steps that the licensee had taken to address its deficiencies in terms of clear lines of responsibility and risk management."

However, the owners have been told there must be "sufficient, competent" staff on duty when the pub is open.

Full article on Landlord's relief as pub keeps licence despite being plagued by noise complaints

KEN

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The Schooner

Gateshead landlord's relief after pub keeps licence despite being plagued by noise complaints

A Gateshead landlord whose pub was plagued by noise complaints has spoken out after it was allowed to keep its licence.

The Schooner's licence was reviewed after a string of noise complaints and allegations that it was breaching coronavirus rules.

In a report submitted to Gateshead Council, Northumbria Police claimed that live music from the venue was so loud it caused "public nuisance as far as Newcastle riverside, Byker and Walker".

The force revealed that one person even contacted police to state they were "disgusted at the level of music, lack of social distancing and blatant disregard to the wider community" when gigs restarted over the summer.

The document referenced six noise complaints, with one St Peter's Basin resident complaining about "incredibly loud" music and people screaming.

Now, Gary Moore, one of the pub's four owners, has said he will do more to tackle noise.

He said: "We didn't expect much of a negative outcome and it wasn't a surprise to us.

The full article is here: Landlord's relief as pub keeps licence despite being plagued by noise complaints

The timing is a bit ironic I think.

·
Registered
21,223 Posts
Crown Posada pub, Side, Newcastle given Asset of Community Value status as ale fans bid to safeguard its future

Chronicle Live website article from 11/11/20

EXTRACT

Newcastle's famous Crown Posada pub given protected status as ale fans bid to safeguard its future

Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) members have succeeded in a bid to have the historic Quayside pub designated as an Asset of Community Value to protect it from redeveleopment

It means that, should the beloved pub’s owners decide to sell up, local community groups would have the legal right to put together a bid to take it over before it can be sold to anyone else.

The snug Quayside watering hole has been closed since the first Covid lockdown earlier this year, with social distancing a struggle in the narrow, Grade-II listed building.

The pub, run by Sir John Fitzgerald Limited, recently teased an “exciting update” about its reopening on social media but was forced to pause those plans due to the new national lockdown

Full article on Newcastle's famous Crown Posada pub given protected status

KEN

·
13,173 Posts
It's a good play by CAMRA, it's more political than anything else. That's a big building and it would be a large ask for beer lovers [of which i am one] to pull the money together. It would be a decent 7 figure sum.

The value is more in bad publicity if they do try to sell to [say] starbucks.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
It's weird how it almost seems like each and every man and his dog needs to go all the way to the top at Westminster to get the support they need.

Not every need can be met by lobbying footballers.

It is a legacy of the over-centralised governance of this country yet again. You'd imagine a club like WHQ should be able to go to the city for help.

·
13,173 Posts
It should but, though we can differentiate between WHQ and [say] Digital I can see absolute screams from more 'commercial' operators if NCC got the chequebook out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It should but, though we can differentiate between WHQ and [say] Digital I can see absolute screams from more 'commercial' operators if NCC got the chequebook out.
You're right but a lot of cultural venues/nights etc have had a grant from government funds already, albeit it's not enough and it pennies. The government isn't going to dish out any more IMO. They don't really care for the arts or culture because it's progressive. Just look back at the 80's/90's or even further back with 'pop' having to be broadcasted on pirate radio etc.

·
13,173 Posts
You're right but a lot of cultural venues/nights etc have had a grant from government funds already, albeit it's not enough and it pennies. The government isn't going to dish out any more IMO. They don't really care for the arts or culture because it's progressive. Just look back at the 80's/90's or even further back with 'pop' having to be broadcasted on pirate radio etc.
I agree on all points, my train of thought was also tho that if [and they won't] there is cash given to WH, then other club operators will go bananas - because you'd have to ask what 'test/criteria' would be used to say WH was cultural and another club not. We know it when we see it but it could be open to a legal challenge. The hospitality industry is nothing if not cough 'well connected' and effective at lobbying.

10201 - 10220 of 10306 Posts