SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 10182 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Potential (stright) lap dancing bar for the gay village area: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2010/05/15/lap-dance-club-row-72703-26451598/

Wasn't sure of the best thread for this!
Some pics of the place over the last month.

I'm sure it's been many things in it's life, but I remember it as a meat storage/distribution place. Always used to see the sides of meat hanging up and the refridgerated delivery vans outside

8th May 2010 - They've just finished completely stripping the old roof

3rd June 2010 - New roof on, old signage removed and most of the work is now going on inside.

Looks to me as if they're only working on the 2 story, southerly half of the property, so will wait to see if they include the 3 story part too at a later date.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sign of the times, but a few more bars seem to have bitten the dust over the last few months, to add to the list of closed ones.

From my recollections, current "empty" and closed bars in the city and immediate surrounds include:

The Egypt Cottage - Quayside (demolished)
Cooperage - Quayside (looks like it's been sold / leased)
Pravda - Quayside (Empty a good few years now)
Bar 38 - Quayside (Empty a good few years now)
Stereo - Quayside (Boarded up and looks like it's days are numbered)
Coco V / Bewick House - Opposite Central Station (closed a good six months or more)
The Globe - Railway Street (looks like it's been sold / leased)
The End - Scottswood Road
Hoko 10 - Dean Street (plastered in adverts for Diamonds and FYEO lapdancing clubs)
The Lane - High Bridge (been boarded up for at least a year)

Anyone add any more, or know anything about the future of any of these bars? I know there's a thread about Stereo and the plans for demolishing that and replacing it.
Shame about the Cooperage, and the demolition of the Egypt Cottage was, I suppose, inevitable (though another good pub lost)

As for the rest....meh. I won't be losing any sleep over the godawful Coco-v, in the three occasions i went in there it was full of utter tools. And I got my mobile nicked, scum! :mad:

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Coco-V was awful. The music was way too load - which is fine, if it's that sort of bar, but the decor gave the impression of somewhere you could sit, relax and talk. Just a very badly run bar.

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
Coco-V was awful. The music was way too load - . . . .
(and too loud!)

That made me laugh - there were residential developments immediately upstairs by Adderstone, who, in full cooperation with the City Council, determined a maximum permitted music volume level, (based on maintaining inaudibility in the flats when the music was playing).
As Adderstone were landlords of Coco V as well, they were happy to arrange this measurement and to incorporate an electronic control limit of that agreed maximum volume. This would also have the effect of keeping the volume within the venue at a comfortable level.

I wonder if you could guess what happened next; after that agreement was reached? (Hint: it was something to do with the electronic control limit.)

·
13,011 Posts
update

Sign of the times, but a few more bars seem to have bitten the dust over the last few months, to add to the list of closed ones.

From my recollections, current "empty" and closed bars in the city and immediate surrounds include:

The Egypt Cottage - Quayside (demolished)
Cooperage - Quayside (looks like it's been sold / leased)
Pravda - Quayside (Empty a good few years now)
Bar 38 - Quayside (Empty a good few years now)
Stereo - Quayside (Boarded up and looks like it's days are numbered)
Coco V / Bewick House - Opposite Central Station (closed a good six months or more)
The Globe - Railway Street (looks like it's been sold / leased)
The End - Scottswood Road
Hoko 10 - Dean Street (plastered in adverts for Diamonds and FYEO lapdancing clubs)
The Lane - High Bridge (been boarded up for at least a year)
Some good news

Cooperage has been bought by Duncan Fisher of Apartment/Nancys/As You Like it.

Bar 38 has re opened [same owners, it was just mothballed]

Pravda - no news but what a waste. Knew it was doomed when on the opening night in a Russian themed bar I asked for something Russian and the best they could do was .... Smirnoff !

Stereo. Closed thank god

CoCoV. No news

The Globe has been closed for while. One of my favorite bars but with fewer Polish ex pats it was going to be tough

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
!!!! I hope the memorabilia is all that they do change! To me The Adelphi is a true City Centre pub.

I used to work at the Theatre Royal, and the pub remains a proper theatre pub - ie at the stage door, serving crew, theatre staff, performers etc. I now work in theatre elsewhere, and people I speak to who tour (who always talk so very fondly of the Theatre Royal and Newcastle) never fail to mention the Adelphi, and the sense of good atmosphere and theatre/football history that it has!

Fingers crossed that this little landmark retains some of its charm!

·
13,011 Posts
What's wrong with Stereo? Good news regarding the Cooperage though!
How long have you got. Actually I used to very much like it as a post work beer stop, great beers and the terrace was great. However..... things changed; I live about 300yds away and when it ceased to be a bar in the usual sense and became a club with earsplitting music at 1am, french doors open to allows the sounds out [despite the licence not allowing it] and the inevitable noise at 2am in the street my sense of humour failed. It seemed to only be open about once a month for a club night, which had half of the residents on the phone to the police complaining, but with its then being shut for another 3 weeks they could do little about it.

Amazingly [as they had a list of complaints as long as your arm] they applied for a 3am licence. They must have been....discouraged as the application was withdrawn and the windows were boarded up soon afterwards.

Other good news tho;

Cooperage does sound good. With the possible exception of Mr Lynch [and that s just because it s not to my taste] Duncan Fisher doesn t have a bad bar.

Flynns licence is up for review again. Please Newcastle, please get rid of Bowlt Leisure or have them actually comply with their licencing conditions. Anyone with a direct line to a supreme being, get in contact with them now.....

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Ah, fair enough! I only went to Stereo a few times but always had fun when I did. I can imagine it being less fun trying to get to sleep nearby though...

As for Duncan Fisher, I agree, he really knows how to create an interesting/exciting bar. Presumably a very, very clever man.

And I'm surprised Flynn's is still trading, they seem so out on a limb there.

As for Paddy's article, there really is a lot of strip clubs in the city now - too many if you ask me. I don't have a problem with them as such, but it looks like we could soon have five or six of them. That's a lot for a reasonably medium-sized city centre. I really don't want the city to get a name for being somewhere you go for a seedy trip away - a big night out, fine, but there's a line.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think to become a 'StipClub City' would need a number nearer 10, so we've not to worry too much yet in terms of us becoming a seedy destination. My concern with this particular venue is its location, and the lack of commitment which once existed, from both the council and the leisure operators, to the 'gay village'.

Having said that, stereotypes work both ways so we can't assume that the whole gay community will have a problem with it, and that the straight community using the venue will have a problem with those who already use the area.

Didn't we see somewhere that the operators who have proposed the venue also own some gay venues? Perhaps this could bring a certain level of 'sympathy' and positive co-existence with regards to security, attitudes etc.

·
13,011 Posts
Ah, fair enough! I only went to Stereo a few times but always had fun when I did. I can imagine it being less fun trying to get to sleep nearby though...

As for Duncan Fisher, I agree, he really knows how to create an interesting/exciting bar. Presumably a very, very clever man.

And I'm surprised Flynn's is still trading, they seem so out on a limb there.

As for Paddy's article, there really is a lot of strip clubs in the city now - too many if you ask me. I don't have a problem with them as such, but it looks like we could soon have five or six of them. That's a lot for a reasonably medium-sized city centre. I really don't want the city to get a name for being somewhere you go for a seedy trip away - a big night out, fine, but there's a line.
Duncan is a smart guy and has put some great bars together. He does have an 'interesting' past.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6783/is_2003_August_2/ai_n28149910/

but have to say that at least at the front of house the bars are good. For the record that s not to say that there s anything wrong behind the scenes, I just don't know.

As to the strip joint in the gay village; as indicated before I ve no 'moral' objection, I ve been to one and thought it was pointless, frankly found a magazine more 'arousing' :) . Though there is something a bit wrong about 'Pussy Galore' backing onto the Cathedral.

As a 'straight' former regular of Manchester's Gay village [the best bars by far] I just hope that it doesn t cause conflict. I suppose that it shouldn t matter a stuff, but drunk guys and lap dancers can be a dodgy mix.

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
Didn't we see somewhere that the operators who have proposed the venue also own some gay venues? Perhaps this could bring a certain level of 'sympathy' and positive co-existence with regards to security, attitudes etc.
Hmmm. You may well have seen that.
Sam Hamandi? Supportive of gay venues in Newcastle? You might need to help us with some persuasive evidence for that one. There are those who claim to have experienced the exact opposite.

Yes. A clever man. And different looking venues - its certainly good to see a variety. But I would have chosen a slightly different adjective, actually . . . . some people who are clever don't always seem to have other qualities.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Trafalgar Leisure have withdrawn their plans to open a lapdancing club on Marlborough Crescent, citing the strength of local opposition to the plans.

For a range of reasons, I'm very happy that this has come to pass despite the council's encouragement of yet another lapdancing venue in a totally unsuitable area of the city centre. Well done to Councillor Nick Forbes for leading the opposition - I hope you voted for him, Seamaster.

The Chronicle report: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/06/29/lap-dancing-club-plan-is-dropped-by-owner-72703-26747726/

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Trafalgar Leisure have withdrawn their plans to open a lapdancing club on Marlborough Crescent, citing the strength of local opposition to the plans.

For a range of reasons, I'm very happy that this has come to pass despite the council's encouragement of yet another lapdancing venue in a totally unsuitable area of the city centre. Well done to Councillor Nick Forbes for leading the opposition - I hope you voted for him, Seamaster.

The Chronicle report: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/06/29/lap-dancing-club-plan-is-dropped-by-owner-72703-26747726/
In otherwords the idiots at TL saw the pound signs slip away and quickly changed tack to the more profitable option. If what theyre saying is true then I wish more decisions could be swayed by 16 letters of objection and a Facebook campaign. I can't quite swallow their contrition I'm afraid, this is purely an economic decision.

But at least we know where Nick Forbes stands on the topless dancing issue, after all its not like his constituency has any real problems eh Nick? Thats the titty dancing sorted, next up, social cohesion in Elswick.

New Labour: Tough on tits, tough on the causes of tits.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No "encouragement" of this application by the council - it is up to the applicant to apply. If opponents are concerned about strippers, they might like to take issue with the Eagle, which is reputedly far sleazier.

·
Super Moderator
22,156 Posts
Pub has licence reviewed over noise row
June 30th 2010, by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

A historic Newcastle pub is at the centre of a noise nuisance row.

Newcastle City Council says it has received a string of complaints about loud music coming from The Ship Inn, on Stepney Bank, Ouseburn.

Locals have raised concerns about DJs blasting out tunes during outdoor Bank Holiday weekend events, which go on into the night.

That led to environmental health officers ordering those running the bar, which first opened in the 1800s, to control the noise or face tough action.

Now, they say they have been left with no option but to seek a review of the pub’s licence and have prepared a report to go before councillors next week.

Officers want to introduce conditions banning the use of amplification equipment in external areas of the premises and the playing of music at volumes that would cause “unreasonable disturbance” to neighbours.

They also want the bar’s management to carry out sound checks and keep all windows and doors shut when regulated entertainment is taking place.

The report says complaints about loud music coming from the pub date back to June 2003, when barbecues with live DJs were taking place over Bank Holiday weekends.

It adds: “Complaints concerning the same type of noise events came to the council’s attention again in April 2007.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/06/30/pub-has-licence-reviewed-over-noise-row-72703-26755707/

141 - 160 of 10182 Posts