SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 10203 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,170 Posts
Sisters' aim to turn Newcastle bar 'the Waterline' into Gastro Pub
July 1st 2010, by Peter McCusker, The Journal

THREE sisters plan to turn one of the Quayside's most prominent bars into a family-friendly gastro-pub and use it as a launch-pad to roll out their business across the region.

Oldest sister Georgia Powell, middle sister Andrea Marshall and youngest sister Alex Marshall have taken on the lease at the Waterline, having previously worked together in the hospitality/catering trade for over 15 years, operating the Cafe in the Garden in Eldon Garden, Newcastle city centre.

Alex, who looks after the financial and administrative side of the business said: “We love the Quayside and want to see it become the hub of the city’s social scene once more.”

Andrea, who creates the menus and does most of the cooking, said: “The emphasis will be on providing fresh wholesome food, using local suppliers and creating a family atmosphere.

“It will be somewhere where you can have a relaxed drink in a family- friendly environment, and eat restaurant-standard food.”

The trio, who also own the Cafe in the Mall in Norwich, will be investing £120,000 in giving the Waterline a facelift.

Georgia, who holds the licence, said: “We work well together. You know where you are with your family.”

They expect to achieve revenues of £20,000 a week and plan to extend the concept across the region once it has been bedded in.

ARTICLE HERE - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...rn-newcastle-bar-into-success-51140-26761734/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pub has licence reviewed over noise row
June 30th 2010, by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

A historic Newcastle pub is at the centre of a noise nuisance row.

Newcastle City Council says it has received a string of complaints about loud music coming from The Ship Inn, on Stepney Bank, Ouseburn.

Locals have raised concerns about DJs blasting out tunes during outdoor Bank Holiday weekend events, which go on into the night.

That led to environmental health officers ordering those running the bar, which first opened in the 1800s, to control the noise or face tough action.

Now, they say they have been left with no option but to seek a review of the pub’s licence and have prepared a report to go before councillors next week.

Officers want to introduce conditions banning the use of amplification equipment in external areas of the premises and the playing of music at volumes that would cause “unreasonable disturbance” to neighbours.

They also want the bar’s management to carry out sound checks and keep all windows and doors shut when regulated entertainment is taking place.

The report says complaints about loud music coming from the pub date back to June 2003, when barbecues with live DJs were taking place over Bank Holiday weekends.

It adds: “Complaints concerning the same type of noise events came to the council’s attention again in April 2007.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...cence-reviewed-over-noise-row-72703-26755707/

Nooooo! Stay away from "Block Party", its one of the best alternative outdoor events we have in Newcastle, which I may add has helped the Ouseburn music scene a great deal, especially in summer time. What next I ask? Maybe stop the Tyne bar having events and gigs under the arch way!! It boils my piss, who are these "so called" residents eh!?! Last time I checked there wasn't that many residential dwellings next to the Ship. :bash::bash:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
No "encouragement" of this application by the council - it is up to the applicant to apply. If opponents are concerned about strippers, they might like to take issue with the Eagle, which is reputedly far sleazier.
No encouragement? Did your council approve the application or not?

The main thrust of the objections were not, as you suggest, a puritanical objection to topless dancing, but the very real fears that a lapdancing bar in that location would cause a rise in homophobic conflict and attacks. But you already knew that, which makes your insouciance all the more disappointing.

·
13,038 Posts
Sisters' aim to turn Newcastle bar 'the Waterline' into Gastro Pub
July 1st 2010, by Peter McCusker, The Journal

THREE sisters plan to turn one of the Quayside's most prominent bars into a family-friendly gastro-pub and use it as a launch-pad to roll out their business across the region.

Oldest sister Georgia Powell, middle sister Andrea Marshall and youngest sister Alex Marshall have taken on the lease at the Waterline, having previously worked together in the hospitality/catering trade for over 15 years, operating the Cafe in the Garden in Eldon Garden, Newcastle city centre.

Alex, who looks after the financial and administrative side of the business said: “We love the Quayside and want to see it become the hub of the city’s social scene once more.”

Andrea, who creates the menus and does most of the cooking, said: “The emphasis will be on providing fresh wholesome food, using local suppliers and creating a family atmosphere.

“It will be somewhere where you can have a relaxed drink in a family- friendly environment, and eat restaurant-standard food.”

The trio, who also own the Cafe in the Mall in Norwich, will be investing £120,000 in giving the Waterline a facelift.

Georgia, who holds the licence, said: “We work well together. You know where you are with your family.”

They expect to achieve revenues of £20,000 a week and plan to extend the concept across the region once it has been bedded in.

ARTICLE HERE - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...rn-newcastle-bar-into-success-51140-26761734/
Good luck to 'em. As I recall the Garden Cafe..... closed.

If you want quality food [or bad food for that matter] on the Quayside there is an abundance of choice of restaurants. The market is polarised between the beer sponge and Cafe 21/Pan Hag' and there s not a lot of gastro space in the middle.

I wish them luck. If it works I ll live in a nicer area, the Waterline is one of my locals, but.... there s a law of Newcastle pubs which is about as consistent as gravity. They only go one way, and that's down. Paraphrasing HL Menken; No one ever went bust by underestimating the tastes of Newcastle drinkers. You only have to look at Flynns and Linekers to see that. Look at every pub that s started off pretending to be the top floor of Harvey Nic's and they end up selling cheap trebles, sad but true. The exception might be 'As You Like It', but that s a very different animal.

The main drivers on the Quayside are cheap beer and sport.The days of people queuing to have an upmarket soiree in Parisa or waiting in line for the newly refurbished Casa are long gone. The Waterline has already cut out Sky Sports, not a problem in a free to air Wimbledon and World Cup summer but come the Autumn there might well be tumbleweed on the terrace.

Ladies; do not, repeat do not spend £120k, you'll lose it, you can t make that back on increased sales. Spend a fraction on sports and there's a relationship between spend and income. Forget organic lasagna and stock up on beans and baked potatoes.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nooooo! Stay away from "Block Party", its one of the best alternative outdoor events we have in Newcastle, which I may add has helped the Ouseburn music scene a great deal, especially in summer time. What next I ask? Maybe stop the Tyne bar having events and gigs under the arch way!! It boils my piss, who are these "so called" residents eh!?! Last time I checked there wasn't that many residential dwellings next to the Ship. :bash::bash:
I reckon these residents are The Cluny.

·
13,038 Posts
I reckon these residents are The Cluny.
Unless the events are insanely loud then the only residents are in Steenbergs and odds and sods above the Cluny as far as I can see [the building on Byker pier also used to be residential - looked at it when it was for sale].

Top Ship is a very different animal to the scumfest that is Flynns, which is also undergoing a review. This time wholly justifiably.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I wish them luck. If it works I ll live in a nicer area, the Waterline is one of my locals, but.... there s a law of Newcastle pubs which is about as consistent as gravity. They only go one way, and that's down. Paraphrasing HL Menken; No one ever went bust by underestimating the tastes of Newcastle drinkers.

The main drivers on the Quayside are cheap beer and sport.

Ladies; do not, repeat do not spend £120k, you'll lose it, you can t make that back on increased sales. Spend a fraction on sports and there's a relationship between spend and income. Forget organic lasagna and stock up on beans and baked potatoes.
Agree with a lot of that in that the Quayside has been on a downward trend bars wise for years. However, I do think there is a market for them. Mainly, they could get Sage concert-goers and tourists during the day as well as office workers on lunch/after work.

Don't know what they're planning on spending all that money on. I was there on Friday and it's pleasant enough inside (have they already done it up a bit?). Maybe they should wait and see how successful it is before spending the wedge. I don't think there's anything wrong with the likes of organic lasagne as that would appeal to a lot of crowds, it's if they started doing really pretentious stuff at the expense of pub staples.

·
13,038 Posts
Agree with a lot of that in that the Quayside has been on a downward trend bars wise for years. However, I do think there is a market for them. Mainly, they could get Sage concert-goers and tourists during the day as well as office workers on lunch/after work.

Don't know what they're planning on spending all that money on. I was there on Friday and it's pleasant enough inside (have they already done it up a bit?). Maybe they should wait and see how successful it is before spending the wedge. I don't think there's anything wrong with the likes of organic lasagne as that would appeal to a lot of crowds, it's if they started doing really pretentious stuff at the expense of pub staples.
I agree with you. I am not convinced [actually I am if you see what I mean] that the 120K investment s a good idea. They might have a chance if they go for the daytime and early evening chardonnay market and then become a 'pub' after [say] 7. However if they keep looking for the gastro, top 10% market all the time then they re dead in the water.

The street pavement cafe is a great spot, but I just wonder if increasing prices and going pretentious is a risky move. After all Weatherspoons might have the odd quirky customer but it s very cheap and also has good outdoor space.

'it's if they started doing really pretentious stuff at the expense of pub staples'

They are.... doesn t bother me but the more beer sponge end of the menu is history.

Won t stop me drinking there, it s 100yds from my door, but do wonder about the prospects of success.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Another to add to my list from a couple of weeks back.

Dead? Re-furb? Anyone know?

All the furniture seems to have been removed, but there was someone inside sweeping the floor (I guess I should have asked them what was going on LOL).

Taken today (1st July 2010)

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
No encouragement? Did your council approve the application or not?

The main thrust of the objections were not, as you suggest, a puritanical objection to topless dancing, but the very real fears that a lapdancing bar in that location would cause a rise in homophobic conflict and attacks. But you already knew that, which makes your insouciance all the more disappointing.
In planning terms, there's a pretty massive gulf between encouraging a development and simply processing an application. If there wasn't a decent material reason to reject the application, which in reality there wasn't (I don't see why someone visiting a lapdancing club would necessarily be homophobic), the council have to accept it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another to add to my list from a couple of weeks back.

Dead? Re-furb? Anyone know?

All the furniture seems to have been removed, but there was someone inside sweeping the floor (I guess I should have asked them what was going on LOL).

Taken today (1st July 2010)
Chaps in one of the cafes nearby were saying that Wetherspoons have taken over Luckies and have bought out a few adjoining shops with view to opening the biggest pub in Newcastle

Not sure on the validity of this

·
Super Moderator
22,170 Posts
Chaps in one of the cafes nearby were saying that Wetherspoons have taken over Luckies and have bought out a few adjoining shops with view to opening the biggest pub in Newcastle

If this includes (like it sounds like it might) as far as the former Paris Texas restaurant, that will indeed be a very large pub!

Had a lot of good times in Luckies mind, lots of friends at the Civic, and we regularly met in there. Lots of meals in Paris Texas too, until a couple of years ago, when it closed!!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Shops directly behind it, on corner of Vine Lane, specifically Beatdown Records, but possiblly other (never really paid any attention) are already closed down, so maybe they could be the ajoining properties?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Wetherspoons seem to like Newcastle then. As we all know, they only recently (well, maybe recent is pushing it) opened up the old TSB building as The Milecastle.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
And it would have to go some to be the biggest.

What would you say the biggest ones are currently? I would guess it's pretty close between The Union Rooms & Mile Castle..........no co-incedence they are both Wetherspoon......and possibly Sam Jacks.

But with 4 levels, including basements, and assuming the ajoining buildings are one or more on St Marys Place, then I guess it could be achieved.

·
The Legend
13,182 Posts
I like Luckies, I hardly go in though as I hardly ever drink. Anyway I just hope that a change in ownership doesn't bring it down. I know it's not long since gone through a little bit of redecoration and recently it has installed 3DTV's.

It hasn't been long since it was voted Newcastle's best bar/pub aswell.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would be surprised if Luckies was closed down- it always seems very busy- it maybe no coincendence that it has closed for a refurb just as the students go home for their summer hols. Must we have another Wetherspoons though? We already have 4 in the city centre- could we not have something a bit different. A varisty or something similar would work great in thats spot.

I hope the Waterline does well- it is in a nice location- but the worry is that the quayside is light years away from what it used to be 5 years ago. There are a number of pubs still down there and not that much custom whenever I have been down there. Then again we can live in hope that the refurb of the coperage might bring some life back.

Regarding the lap dancing place on Marlborough Crescent- IMO it was extremely poor decision to even propose it. Newcastle's gay quarter has grown a lot in the last 10 years and placing a lap dancing club in the middle is madness. Lap dancing clubs- esp. in Newcastle generally attract groups of drunken stag's- and then coming out of such a place pissed walkinga round gay couples possible holding hands or transvetites around would no doubt have caused bother- even if the above said stags were only laughing at the gay community- it would make the gay community extremely uncomfortable. Opening a lap dancing club there is almost as bad as opening it on Osbourne road. And surely the police could have objected to such a place opening as they know it would have caused mayhem? I agree the Eagle is rather sleezy but the Eagle is the ONLY sleezy gay pub in Newcastle the rest of the places are rather benign the proposed lap dancing place would have been the 6th such lap dancing place- surely horned up blokes are well served with the other 5.

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
. . . . . Must we have another Wetherspoons though? We already have 4 in the city centre- could we not have something a bit different.
That's exactly my view, too.
Its bad enough having identical city centres and identical shopping malls across much of the globe and identical pubs food outlets and hotels (run by a few chains) in most cities, but surely we don't want identical pubs too (run by a few chains).
This really depresses me.

The problem is, these are market forces - nothing to do with planning and citizens' views.

Regarding the lap dancing place on Marlborough Crescent- IMO it was extremely poor decision to even propose it. Newcastle's gay quarter has grown a lot in the last 10 years and placing a lap dancing club in the middle is madness.
And that's exactly my view on that topic too!

And that proposal too, was nothing to do with planning and citizens' views, but was to do with market forces - an opportunity arose and an investor leapt in.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I would be surprised if Luckies was closed down- it always seems very busy- it maybe no coincendence that it has closed for a refurb just as the students go home for their summer hols.
I'll have a better nosey about next time i'm up that way and report back if I find out anything new.

Regarding the lap dancing place on Marlborough Crescent- IMO it was extremely poor decision to even propose it. Newcastle's gay quarter has grown a lot in the last 10 years and placing a lap dancing club in the middle is madness. Lap dancing clubs- esp. in Newcastle generally attract groups of drunken stag's- and then coming out of such a place pissed walkinga round gay couples possible holding hands or transvetites around would no doubt have caused bother- even if the above said stags were only laughing at the gay community- it would make the gay community extremely uncomfortable. Opening a lap dancing club there is almost as bad as opening it on Osbourne road. And surely the police could have objected to such a place opening as they know it would have caused mayhem? I agree the Eagle is rather sleezy but the Eagle is the ONLY sleezy gay pub in Newcastle the rest of the places are rather benign the proposed lap dancing place would have been the 6th such lap dancing place- surely horned up blokes are well served with the other 5.
As has been stated, the "pink triangle" has grown hugely over the last 10 years. I guess the ultimate shame is that there has to be one in the 1st place....by which I mean, it's a shame everyone can't accept everyone else and "gay" bars can exist alongside "straight" ones.

But, that obvioulsy NOT being the case, who's to say that it won't be a "gay" lap dancing club, or at least do different things different nights? Ok I know it's unlikely, but maybe the people behind it have already considered potential problems of a straight one and are going to try something different. There is already a gay "massage parlour" along Scottswood road, beyond The Eagle.

The only Drunken Stag parties I think will head toward this part of town, will be the ones staying in this part of town (Jurys, Holiday Inn Express etc.) and as such will have already sussed out, on their way out of their hotels, that this is the "gay quarter" and simply won't bother coming back, until it's time to go back to their hotels. If they're looking for lap dancing they'll likely visit those more in the city centre (Diamonds, Blue Velvet & Pussy Galores).

As for there being "more trouble", trust me, the gay community get just as pished and have just as many fights as anyone else and contrary to the belief that they are all peaceful and loving, the police are outside the bars here, most weekends. and there is already Digital & The Powerhouse Nightclubs, which between them attract 100's, probably into the 1000's of not neccesarily gay people to the area at least 3 or 4 nights a week if not more.

As you've possibly guessed, I live in St James Gate and the mere fact there might be a lapdancing club on my doorstep really doesn't bother me. At least it won't (shouldn't) be as noisy as another bar or nightclub would be.

At the end of the day, IF it happens and IF it causes problems, or as I suspect, doesn't attract enough punters, then it won't last long anyway.

At least the external renovations are now complete and the building itself looks a whole lot better than it did before.

161 - 180 of 10203 Posts