SkyscraperCity banner

6241 - 6252 of 6252 Posts

·
The Legend
13,135 Posts
I went to the new Meat Stack location when it opened on Friday. The burgers they do are the best in town, and the truffle fries are a great side. I am partial to going to their Grainger Market bar, but their Dog and Parrot one doesn’t taste the same.
Anyway it was good and lived up to it’s standards at Grainger Market. It was rather quiet, but that’s just down to the situation the world is in. It did pick up as we were leaving, and apparently yesterday it was very busy.
I wish them well, they are another local independent company doing it because they are passionate about food.
They have also refurbished a nice building whilst opening a new location, and in doing so are trying to raise the standard of that area.
If anyone fancies going out next month for their 50% off food discount, I’d give them a try.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
Restaurant Filmore & Union permanently closes in John Lewis department store, Eldon Square, Newcastle

Chronicle Live website article from 24/07/20

EXTRACT

Popular restaurant Filmore & Union closes in Newcastle department store

The eaterie is one of five to permanently close across the North after the company went into liquidation

The Filmore & Union eaterie in Newcastle’s John Lewis is among five which have closed around the North, just over a year after they were bought out of administration by new owners.

The health-focused food and drink firm operated the restaurant independently from the department store chain, which has now said it is on the hunt for new leisure firms keen to take its place.

Full article on Popular restaurant Filmore & Union closes in Newcastle department store

KEN

·
12,828 Posts
If anyone is curious this:

Find a restaurant that’s registered for the scheme - Eat Out to Help Out - GOV.UK

lets you search who is participating in the Eat Out To Spread Coronavirus, oh sorry that was a typo, Eat Out To help Out* scheme.

If I do a search around my postcode there are quite a few registered which I know are not open. All above board I assume, you couldn't for example run a series of transactions through the till in a closed restaurant and in effect double your money... could you?

*Yes cheeky, Mrs NP and I are hitting a few bars but very carefully, looking at some venues I'd be pretty concerned if someone started coughing...

·
12,828 Posts
That site seems to have a bit of a rolling roster of chinese eateries, they seem to cater for the 'young chinese' takeaway market [student]. One

·
Registered
352 Posts
Newcastle is 'done' anyway. Pre covid it was supposed to be re opening as am 'Ivy'.
Oh yes, I knew that although I'm still dubious on whether that will happen now or maybe not until end of 2021 early 2022. You'd be daft as the operator to commit now, wait until commercial property is in even more dire straits and get the best deal you can.

Chron reckons Newcastle branch is one of those closing: Byron in Newcastle to close permanently as Covid-19 continues to hit high street

·
12,828 Posts
Oh you'd be barking to sign terms, not only because of the general unpredictability but also as the high street becomes more of a bloodbath the backside will fall out of commercial property - you'd be paying 10p in the pound.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
41A Groat Market, Newcastle, betting shop (former George Rye) becomes Meat:Stack restaurant - pictures 01/08/20

Last covered in pictures by myself on post #360 on Bigg Market thread, BIGG MARKET - Improvement Project by NE1 | Newcastle |...

Covered in follow up posts that thread and also on posts from #6212 on this Restaurants thread, Newcastle and the North East - RESTAURANTS, CAFES and...

Pictures by myself from Saturday 01/08/20 approx 1115 showing the completed and open Meat:Stack at 41A Groat Market, Newcastle

Also posted to Bigg Market thread

KEN

6241 - 6252 of 6252 Posts