Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
New high-end fashion store has opened on Hood Street, Kiara Boutique.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/lifestyle-news/fashion-news-tips/2009/10/05/kiara-boutique-opens-in-newcastle-61634-24839485/

I feel this should be where high-end fashion is in Newcastle, with Vivienne Westwood already there, it could attract further stores such as Dolce & Gabbana (already have stores in London, Leeds and Manchester), or a Ralph Lauren. This coupled with a new Departmnt store in the old Odeon and redevelopment of Commercial Union House could be the city's Met Quarter.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah Mothercare were in that position until only a few years ago. I'm sure when i started uni in 2003 it was still Mothercare but from what i can tell, they've moved into Out of Town Retail Parks.

With regard to Gap, they'll never open in Newcastle for the forseeable future if they have relatively recently closed the MetroCentre store. Although, we may get something like Banana Republic (Gap's higher end brand, although don't know if they're expanding in the UK atm) or an Urban Outfitters in the old Arcadia spot when the relocate into their new stores in the new mall.

Also geordiejon, yeah i didn't mean it would happen, but an aspiration for the city. Imagine it like our Bond Street with flags and canopies. Yeah Oxfam, the bookies, and Newcastle Building Society would have to move but it could be a great street. Also you could keep the old Odeon, Commercial Union House is huge with quite a large frontage (remember its more than the jut out over the road) and have an anchor high end Department Store, although the more time goes on i don't really think we need one. We've got Fenwicks and with a little improvement (basically the ground floor behind the Northumberland Street frontage) could be on par with the high end players. Sometimes i think we disregard it and relagate it to the likes of Debenhams (an appalling department store), when if you look properly especially in the high end men's and womens with the Armani, Hugo Boss, Max Mara, Ralph Lauren; Newcastle is pretty well served. Plus we've also got Cruise full of expensive brands Prada, Gucci and to me seems to survive pretty well. To be honest i would rather they just moved to the Commercial Union site, would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd like to see an actual street created through from Northumberland Street to Eldon Square/New Bus Station. It wouldn't really take much as the link between Eldon Square and M&S is quite small and could be replaced by a overhead glass crossing similar to one i've seen in Manchester although i can't remember where it actually is.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Also Jon, yeah i agree that Fenwick's isn't up there with Harvey Nics but its better than Debenhams, probably just above House of Frasers / John Lewis. I also agree about the Fenwicks entrance, why have a newsagents, pen store and crap 'granny wear' section. Either pull the cosmetics department forward or have a nice front lobby area; plus i'd wish they open the windows up and let some natural light in the store, you can still merchandise well. They'd probably only need walls for the xmas window.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If wonder if the store labelled 'in solicitors' on the ES Lettings Plan is American Apparell / Urban Outfitters then, as thats basically the only store left. However, I wonder what is going to happen with the Poundland / Old Post Office unit and the Topshop unit (girls bit only as the lettings map says Topshop for both upstairs and downstairs in the new mall).

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That old picture of Prudhoe St makes me sad, theres nothing of significance at all architecturally, but in urban design terms its far superior to what we have now. One of my main issues is that you couldn't walk through there at night; yet the joining section can only be a few metres wide.

felt like andy gray on Sky Sports drwaing all over all the images there lol

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I don't really think theres much that the council can do really. The 'use-class order', would control food/drink outlets (A3 - Restaurants and cafés) as Munchies would be a different class (A5 - Hot Food Takeaways) and would therefore require planning consent to change.

On the high-end retail front, don't know what NCC can do as it could only really have been done when the Grainger Project was finishing. I also don't think that theres anything that will done with T J Hughes, dont know if they own the building but i guess if they pay the rent then the owner wont really be bothered.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah that is sligtly problematic as A5 is Hot Food Takeaways for cosumption off the premises but i don't think any planning officer would ever class them as being in the same use class, may be wrong there but i would never approve and i'm sure i could justify it, usually noise at takeaways is louder, litter is more problematic and smells can be an issue.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Can i ask what was Cantors, thats a huge store. It seems to take up part of Sports Direct / USC etc. I wish they remove most of the overbearing Bridge (Sports Direct) over Blackett Street and have just a bridge linking the two.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That original render is even more 80's than what we've presently got, yeah i know CSC would never demolish a huge piece of real estate for no gain. However, it should never have be approved in the first place. Also the end of that article is interesting about an extension to Eldon Sqaure that only lasted from 1986-2006, thats not long even for retail developments.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah very European, what we've actually got is a dingy, yellow lit alley with services for Eldon Square with Electricity danger of death signs

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Even advertising would be an improvement, although i think TownPlanningNE render is probably something that CSC will do one Arcadia have moved into their new units, as the unit is pretty awful especially the linkages between Topshop and the Arcadia Entrance. I think that when you go down the escaltors the main exit should be straight ahead with the old exit moved slightly up to the corner.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I think we've got to realise that there are limitations to what could be done here, Eldon Square as a whole probably makes a huge profit (biglebowski could shed some light here), and they have been updating the mall piece by piece whilst keeping it open.

Also the new mall is a disappointment as it just expand the site but it does have as some have suggested; an oversized entrance, an active street frontage and large modern units that attract retailers. But i've got to say i don't think NCC would have won in a planning appeal case if they were arguing over the design, this seems to be the one issue where planning appeals fail. Whereas with the other centres in other cities, they seem to be completely brand new development that got rid of large parts of the city and therefore have to contribute otherwise they wouldn't be granted permission.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Also i believe the centre is upgrading over the next few years to match the new sections with new flooring, lighting and the upgrading of units.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Thank god Bench aren't opening in town then and in Royal Quays instead, along with Henley's and Superdry they epitomise chav culture with awful branding splashed across their merchandise. I'd rather have an empty unit tbh, but i'll be impressed with Hollister is we get it; as its a store i'd actually shop in.

Also as mentioned about a new department store in the Metro Centre, i get the feeling that some people think they wouldn't open there due to lower spending per head. But i've seen many people on this thread say that Newcastle should get one. Its the same (or at least, wage social bracket) people who shop in both of them. So if you don't believe the Metro Centre will get one, then Newcastle City is even less likely i believe.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Sorry just my rant last night, sorry if i sounded rather snobby and middle class lol, i actually have a pair of superdry jeans but i bought them in fenwicks and they have a small label on the waistband. I think i just dislike the huge logo spread on t-shirts etc. However, I also have a dislike for Gap too, albeit thats more due to the ethical standards and rather dull overpriced clothes.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Just got back from Eldon Square, the interior of St Andrews Way is amazing. Its wide but not too much, although as we've know for ages it just alot of relocations. However, the Guess store is not just handbags (so thats a real coup), the Apple store looks like every Apple store but they all look great, the Topshop/Topman store is great and follows the layout etc of their New York store that opened last year although there doesnt seem to be much that different compared to others that ive seen especially the Oxford Street one.

One thing though, whats the unit inbetween Republic and Paperchase, its looks like a chinese restaurant (its not Laus though, as theres are in different places) but it looks like a small asian building, really cool and doesnt look tacky and i'm sure it may sound.

What are other peoples opinion on it, as i'm sure others will have been by the end of today.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah, i thought it was Hollister but it does have the look of an asian restaurant lol. I agree about the quality of the mall, one of the best new malls in the country and i've been to a couple of them and some in Europe. Also it doesnt jar with the existing mall as much as you'd think and they've already put up boards covering the old Arcadia 'crescent', hope Next relocate here.

I also had a walk around the new part and the only part that i actually hate is the section inbetween Cafe Nero and the Debenhams entrance. The windows have tried to emulate the Nero building, but fail miserably. But as the old Argos section wasn't that old when it was redeveloped maybe they'll change the windows within the next few years.

Also, whilst looking at it, i was trying to gauge why the planners approved the windows and i believe that when they looked at the plans and from early renders, it probably didnt appear that they'd appear so fake. Bet you they're pissed off with the end result.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Good news on the possible refurbishment of Sidgate, would love to see them open the section at the end of Clayton Street through to Old Eldon Square and then redvelop the mall with that open air street mall style seen in Belfast, Bristol and Liverpool. I'd also like a Classical building to emulate what was lost on the Boots/Metro entrance site, a nice cuppola and good detailing.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts