SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I see there were a number of Planning Applications on the Newcastle Planning Portal this week in respect of the externals to the proposed Tesco Express in Saville Row:

Reference 2013/0689/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-02635148
Application Received Fri 10 May 2013
Address 10 - 13 Saville Row Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Installation of new shop front painted Grey (RAL 7037)
Status Pending Consideration
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MML5MVBSAP000

Reference 2013/0707/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-02635384
Proposal Installation of ATM and security camera above
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MML5NRBSAP000

Reference 2013/0665/01/ADV
Alternative Reference PP-02636566
Proposal Display of 1 x externally illuminated fascia sign, 1 x externally illuminated projecting sign and vinyls.
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MML8GIBSAP000
A third Tesco? Just what Newcastle city centre was missing

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am guessing the changes to the monument entrance to Eldon Square are a long way off as Boost are opening a juice bar next door to Maze opposite The Gift Company. It looks like it is close to opening too as they have stickers on the floor saying it is now open.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes i guess the deliveries and bins maybe an issue for those living close by.

But really how many of the houses is this going to impact on? I can't help but think no matter what happened to the site somebody would find something to complain about. When you weigh up the inconvenience for 3 or 4 of the houses against the image of the area and the benefits for the people in the area uts surely a no brainer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Did the shop at Kingston Park open? Wonder if they had problems and decided to return tails between legs.

It makes no sense packing up all the belongings and losing staff for it to reopen a month later

·
Registered
666 Posts
Brand new? They took it over in 04 but it was refurbed in 2011 (I think) and then there are/were plans to develop it further. I personally prefer Galleries store as its bigger, has a better range and is nicer to shop in whereas the Team Valley is a mess.

It didn't used to have darker low ceilings, that was after the last Sainsburys refurb when they went for 'dark cave' approach.
They can do good design the Heaton store is by far the best designed supermarket in the area. Bright well thought out and wide isles. Maybe something like that is needed to attract people to the Team Valley store.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think it has. It's all a bit mad... I assume they are the same footprint and the same landlord.

I can only assume someone was playing hardcore chicken with the lease, you'd think that unless the saving was phenomenal the costs of closing, stripping, re fitting, restocking, reopening would markedly more.
What i am thinking is the unit on the left may still have access to the upper floor and therefore would be more expensive, as i can imagine the 2 would have to be taken. Maybe the thinking behind the move was the creation of a new entrance so a store could rent the upper floor without the need to go through the lower.

The new Poundland unit looks to be the same size as the old one with the same fittings going in.

Talking to the checkout girl in Asda she said Next vans have been in the car park of late. It may mean nothing or it may mean they are looking at the available unit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
What is happening with the former Gamestation unit on Grainger Street? Lots of game boxes and a couple of demo pods set up, but I'm not sure if they were leftovers or restocking - and if it's the latter, who?
It is not the return of the EA pop up shop is it? They had one in Newcastle last Xmas, it was just up from USC

·
Registered
666 Posts
One other Newcastle branch of Sainsbury that we forgot to mention above - Throckley!!

A few years ago they took over that famous West Newcastle store . . . "The Throckley Co-op".

(well, it was 'famous' to me!)
Also one just off the Northumbria University campus where the Warner Cinema use to be. If indications are anything to go by we will also be seeing one on Chilingham Road soon too.

I had no idea there was one in South Gosforth, where abouts?

·
Registered
666 Posts
This makes me a little sad. I hate Sports Direct with an unwavering passion. Grim stores, appalling customer service and miserable staff. Prime site wasted in my opinion.
Completely agree, the stores are like a badly organised jumble sale, i also don't like the fact if you do buy something they try to sell you a premium carrier bag for 69p. I am also not a fan of stores that over inflate an RRP to make a reduction seem better

They employ shoddy tactics on their website too, adding items to your basket that you did not add and making it difficult to remove them. They also list items for a good price but when you click into them find they are extremely large or small sizes. The normal sizes are usually much more making it a very frustrating website.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts